Granite Mountain Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(249)
Prescott National Forest

Granite Mountain Trail is a 7.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Prescott, Arizona that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,656 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Trail is a little boring and flat during the first two miles, but the views are outstanding for the next four!

Awesome trail! The views just keep getting better all the way up. At the top you have to be careful not to loose the trail. The trail ends at the rocks near the peak and you can go as far as you want and your skill allows. We loved this trail!! 8 miles of heaven to me! Highly recommend Granite Mtn!!

Stunning. Did Blair Pass/Granite Mtn and little Granite loop and so glad we did!! Hv lunch up there overlooking the valley etc. 15 miles total. Did clockwise and glad we did. In mostly shade on the way back! Would not do it in August ! Beautiful flowers all the way up! Our new favorite cannot wait til the Fall to do it again. Allow 8 hours to enjoy it!

Very pleasant hike with lovely views along the way. Rating is accurate

Fun trail. Nice elevation gain and summit view from down below. Breezy on top. 4.5 hours.

Fantastic pre-Mother’s Day summit hike! Now, we will take a cocktail please!

NIC2

awesome hike year round, best when creek running in Spring

Nice hike, great views!

The trail is open with a few wet spots along the way. Nice to see a few creeks running along the lower section

I began the trail at 7:15 AM and didn't encounter anyone along the way. The trail was muddy due to recent rain, but nice to see/hear the flowing brooks along the way. The trail was easy, but became moderately difficult just beyond the Little Granite Mountain trail gait when the elevation begins/rugged terrain. Near the top, there was a fork in the path and I went left. The trail stopped at some gray boulders, so I had to navigate over them to continue on the trail to reach the summit. I finished in 11 miles.

fee

Beautiful views throughout the hike! The #261 is a little over 4 miles out, making it eight and a half or so total. There's still a little bit of snow off to the sides which is a fun find on a 60+ degree day. I parked at the Metate Trailhead, but you can also park at the Playa Lot. There are bathrooms at the TH, which is always a bonus.

Hiked the trail to the summit yesterday. I had been there once before with friends and this time I was soloing, so I followed the route as best I could remember. A mile or so after turning right at the saddle, the route to the summit forks left when 261 makes a sharp right to go to the lookout. It is sparsely marked with rock cairns, which, along with the 'trail', fade in and out. The first couple of portions follow usually damp drainage's, first, mostly easterly, then up and over to another one that seems to flow from the north. Work your way up to the most prominent rock formation above (the one on the right that appears to be the summit). This is actually a 'false' summit with the real one being hidden behind. Don't do what we (and I) did, scaling the false summit, only having to boulder-hop a moderately difficult route over to the real summit a hundred feet or so away. Skirt around the base of the false summit on the north side for a couple of hundred feet or so, until you find the fairly simple route to scoot on up. I'll try and post some pictures to show that route. I would have given this hike five stars, except I was up on the mountain a few times before the Doce fire devastated the pine forest up there and it will never be the same.

fee
icy

Great views from the top/ trail end. AllTrails app jacked up my recording. Great trail.