Grandview Trail Loop

Grandview Trail Loop is a 11.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Grand Canyon, Arizona that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

Distance: 11.6 miles Elevation Gain: 3,900 feet Route Type: Loop

This is a difficult, steep, and rocky trail that can have extreme weather (hot in summer, cold in winter). It is not for those who are scared of heights, have bad knees, or for younger children. Bring more water than you think you need! Your hard work will be rewarded with great views.

The trail, if you haven’t heard, is steeeeeep. Not for the faint of heart in some areas. The views are STUNNING! Also it is super easy going down, but the way back up will get yah if you’re not careful. Once you get down to the loop, it isn’t too hard but still be watchful of your footing. But the reward is a trail that is not busy and its ultra quiet. You are one with the canyon. I will definitely plan on coming back

Steep! Do not attempt if ANY concern with knees. I was so focused on my footing that I had to remind myself to look up every so often. Loved the constant switchbacks at the beginning. Flowers in bloom gave it a nice pop of color.

2500 ft of elevation to climb out but the views are rewarding. There is about 5 different perspectives you get to see of the canyon on this trail. It took us 6 hours round trip. Mentally and Physically challenging. Loved it.

Switchbacks on switchbacks. Took us 3 hours and 20 minutes there and back. Trail map says 5-8 hours. Awesome views.

Beautiful views. But not my favorite type of hike Steep down steep up. Did this hike in July and wasn’t as hot as I expected. it was still very hot but higher up on the trail there’s breeze often lower near the bottom you lose a lot of breeze and the floor seems to radiate heat. The views are so incredible the whole time but they don’t seem to change but not really a bad thing.

Super steep,very hard but worth it all of the hard work!!

Did this trail on 9th Jan 2019. From Trailhead to just before mesa was covered in snow making the initial descent, and subsequent ascent slower than usual. But holy smokes the trail has great views all round. I'd recommend following the ridge line past the trail which descends from mesa towards teton for more amazing views. Some intersections weren't particularly obvious so take care not to wonder off track... During my day hike I didn't see a single soul on the trail, making it even more memorable!

Stunning hike. Our first Grand Canyon hike, and could not have asked for a better introduction to the park. Completed in late December 2018 during the shutdown. We started early, around 8:30, and it took us 6.5 hours to do about 9.5 miles down to Horseshoe Mesa, with a lunch stop on the Mesa itself. Crampons were 100% necessary for the first .75 miles or so, as there was a thick coating of ice, and you do NOT want to be unsure of your step on the early sections of this trail. Oh yeah, and then there’s the steepness. Others have said it, I didn’t believe it, but this thing is S-T-E-E-P. Bring hiking poles and a spare set of knees. That being said, it has some of the most breathtaking, unobstructed, exposed views of the canyon I could imagine, and was our favorite of the 3 trails we did over 3 days. It doesn’t have quite as much variation as something like the Hermit Trail, but the sheer exposure along the entire trail makes up for it. Add that to the fact that we saw 2 other people the entire 6 hour hike and this is truly one of the most breathtaking experiences imaginable. It was quite chilly at the top (~15F), but in the canyon it warmed up quickly- make sure you layer! 100% a recommended hike, especially in the winter!

Awesome hike! Especially if you’re looking to get far, far away from tourists. We did this back in September and were only visiting for the day, so we didn’t have time to do the full trail and camp at the bottom. So, instead we just hiked down for a while, then hiked back up. We didn’t see a single other person, but we did see a bighorn sheep! The scenery was stunning and the hike felt like you were living on the edge, literally. We packed plenty of water and snacks, wore sunscreen. In other words, we were prepared. Going down was fairly easy, and hiking back up wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be. Just remember, what goes down, must come up! If you’re not in the best of shape, or if you don’t have good knees, this hike probably isn’t for you. Otherwise, go do it, it’s awesome! I’d definitely go back and camp at the bottom when I have more time!

Fantastic hike and definitely recommended for experienced hikers looking for a trail a bit off the beaten path. We did this hike in Dec 2018 and had the trail to ourselves. It was quite icy at the top, so crampons were definitely needed. Fantastic views through the trail. There are primitive campsites at Horshoe Mesa probably 3/4 of the way down. The real reward is the viewpoint at the very bottom where you are right in the middle of the canyon on an outcrop/Mesa with a true 360 view of the canyon. Absolutely stunning. This was a very demanding hike and would not be recommended for someone with bad knees. In particular, the way down was brutal and slow (mostly because we went in December and it was quite icy). Mentally, it’s tough because the most physically exhausting part is the last 3-4 miles, as with any hike down into the canyon. However the views, particularly once you get to the bottom, are absolutely incredible.

Breathtaking views throughout. This trail takes you through some different terrain unlike South Kaibab and Bright Angel. I did Grandview to Cottonwood Creek to Tonto to Hance Creek and back up Grandview. Started about 6AM and finished about 2:30 PM with plenty of photo stops and snack breaks. It did rain in the beginning causing the route down to Horseshoe Mesa to be quit slippery. Bring plenty of water. I consumed 4L. Also brings pants....lots of brush/cactus especially on the Tonto over hanging onto the trail. Not super populated, I saw 2 rangers and about 10 hikers all around. The trail itself was relatively easy to follow and I did not feel the need to use GPS.

Did the whole loop with the spring, absolutely amazing and worth it. All that's written is correct, so take a lot of water (I drank 6.5L, not sure it was enough), bring salty foods and use this fantastic app to help you find the way, as it's not marked at all (if you zoom in on all parts of the trail when you're online, the map will remain clear even when you're offline and the GPS signal is great throughout the trail, so you can see exactly where you are all the time).

My favorite experience in the park! If you hike down far enough, you have solitude for most of the way as most turn back early. It’s a steep trail but more shade than other trails (bright angel, south Kaibab). Very peaceful and different views the whole way.

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

The views are indeed grand. Five stars for accurate trail naming.

Monday, May 28, 2018

Bring water. The streams were all dried up.

Monday, April 30, 2018

Friends and I won some camping spots via lottery to this trail (specifically Horse Shoe Mesa camping area) in April or May 2012. Unlike Bright Angel, there is a different view every turn, lots of twists and turns, solitude, and a bit more shade in parts. The saddle is particularly gorgeous. And also unlike Bright Angel, it has a lot of rocky, tall, steep stairs in the top half which can wear you out early, even if you consider yourself in moderately good shape, as I did. The forest service provides a detailed caution in how to prepare for this trail, yet our group still made some rookie camping mistakes. We brought too much gear. A trail this steep means you need to be light, especially returning up when you're already tired. Bring extra water...We used up more than 2.5-3 liters each in 24 hours, including cooking. The spring is to the east of the campsite, at least a mile away. It's in a small fern filled cove but not easy to spot from a distance. You should have a water filter as well. I missed locating the spring and hiked another 3 miles looking for water the next day after hiking from the rim to the camp. Talk about tired. And the anxiety I felt when returning to camp to tell the other campers I couldn't find any water. We all returned together to search again and found the spring, which was a lush small pool in May. I missed a turn at the old miner's wheelbarrow.... But by day 3, when it was time to go back up the canyon, with our heavy packs, nearly every one of us gave out before reaching the top. One camper got altitude sickness (vomited) on the easiest part of the hike, which was near the start as we descended from the rim. If you're not living at a similar altitude, take that into consideration as a possible unexpected setback. Take wind into consideration as it may mean you can't get that too heavy cook stove to work that you (we) shouldn't have brought anyway. It was a grueling time due to our mistakes, but still an amazing trail without the crowds. I returned a few weeks later to trail run the flatter parts of it. If you're a novice camper, though, consider the physical toll hauling gear and water at altitude will take on you and skip a camp stove, plush bed rolls, big tents, or thick sleeping bags, and non-prepared food. Don't risk camping more than one night in times when the spring might be dry. It was also extremely windy at the camp site. I got by with a kid's sized tent for $10 from Walmart. Light and small and didn't tear up in the wind, amazingly. Items we didn't secure really well blew off our packs and out of our reach as we returned up to the rim. The only shade are short juniper trees at the camp site, but there is some shade. It felt 20 to 30 degrees warmer on Horseshoe Mesa compared to the rim. The wind only made it hotter. The top half of the trail has rock walls and taller pine trees intermittently for shade.

Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Terrible place. Don’t go here :)

Saturday, January 13, 2018

I lucked out on a sunny and unseasonably warm day in Jan (~50s at the top/70s on the floor). I loved, LOVED this trail! It is definitely a challenge due to the rocky, uneven terrain at times and extremely steep descent/ascent, but the variety of views are phenomenal and well worth the effort. As others have noted, give yourself 8 hours to complete the full loop. I got a late start at 11:15am (began my day with a helicopter ride -- highly recommend!) and ended at 7pm with two 20 min breaks, which meant an hour+ in the dark with a headlamp. It was a blessing in disguise: I got to hike under the most brilliant dome of stars! I wandered off trail a couple times on the back side of the mesa (kinda on par for me), but found my way back thanks to my offline AllTrails map/GPS since the trail isn't well marked. The Tonto portion is a nice, flat respite across the canyon floor and follows along the river (such a pretty sound!). But this is where I saw FRESH mountain lion tracks and hadn't read up on what to do in an encounter (don't run; wave your hands and yell; appear large; throw rocks, if necessary -- you're welcome). I did the loop clockwise. I recommend the reverse. Going clockwise means you tackle the full 4000 ft ascent in your last 4 mi. It's no joke and pretty brutal, although my ass is probably 2" higher for it. The only other trail I've done in the south rim is Bright Angel to Plateau Point, which was awesome, but I liked this one a ton more due to the view variety, more natural trail, and solitude (I only saw 3 people -- and thankfully, no mountain lions).

Saturday, January 13, 2018

Jan 7, 2018: Beautiful scenery. Be sure to start early, carry plenty of water and carry flashlights (just in case)

Sunday, October 08, 2017

Oct 7, 2017. Left at 9, back by 5. Was hustling though. Gorgeous terrain and plenty of Canyon scenery including seeing the river. There is a spring along the way. But definitely Bring water.

Tuesday, June 06, 2017

This trail is very steep, and very strenuous on the way back up. The warnings on the park's website to take plenty of water, and to hike early in the morning are spot on. We started hiking at 8:45, and it was already hot. We would have been able to go deeper than one mile down the trail if we would have left earlier. There are sections that are steep, with footing that is a bit tricky. This is unlike any trail I have ever hiked. The views are phenomenal. I would recommend using a GPS device (we used Alltrails) to keep track of how far you have gone down. Going back up is probably 3-4 times harder. Tracking our path helped us know when we needed to turn around. It was about 100 degrees by the time we arrived back at the top.

Thursday, May 25, 2017

not for beginners. we went down to the horseshoe. very technical areas. steep. because of how steep it is remember to give the hiker coming up the right of way. beautiful view of the canyon and Co river in the distance. bring lots of water 3 L a person and good footwear is a must. bathrooms available at trailhead.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Best trail down to the Tonto Platform. Visit Pete's Cabin and old mine. See the Cavern, if you know where. Great Views of Vishnu Temple and Wotons Throne. Can connect to Tanner Rapids trail.

Thursday, June 23, 2016

Awesome trail with very few people if any. Very steep at the top with lots of exposure to injury or death. Great views of the canyon and beautiful trail. I wouldn't bring kids or old people because of the narrow trail next to the cliffs. Bring three times as much water as you think you will need.

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Great trail for experienced hikers. Amazing views every step of the way.

Thursday, June 02, 2016

We only hiked a small portion of the Grandview on our was out from Hance Creek on the Tonto. The trail was very nice and well maintained.