Grandview Trail Loop is a 12.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Grand Canyon, Arizona that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and backpacking and is best used from March until November.

Distance: 12.5 miles Elevation Gain: 3,937 feet Route Type: Loop

This is a difficult, steep, and rocky trail that can have extreme weather (hot in summer, cold in winter). It is not for those who are scared of heights, have bad knees, or for younger children. Bring more water than you think you need! Your hard work will be rewarded with great views.

hiked Sunday, March 1. Winter Conditions now - initial part of the trail (which I thought was also the toughest both for ascent and descent) was very steep, narrow and icy. I did not have poles (but should have!!), only my yaktrax chains - even then it was tricky on descent. Some sections were straight up sheets of ice and it was a little slippery, even in my chains. Granted, hours later, on ascent, it seemed like some of the ice had melted and had been broken up a little more by other people’s tracks. Going up was certainly less treacherous than going down. Hopefully more of the ice melts in the next few days and the trail won’t be too dicey. Trail is hard to find at times, especially after horsehoe mesa - it was actually a little frustrating. I made little cairns - hopefully they’ll stay up for a couple days and help others! *Lots of loose rock and soft soil *Trail is not 11 miles, I didn’t complete the loop - I turned back a third of the way into the loop (*didn’t want to be caught in the dark on the way up) and went out the same way I came in. My phone counted a bit over 12 miles then - I’m guessing actual trail is probably about 15 miles. *2.5 L of water used on a cool winter day. I don’t know about summertime - there are big stretches where there is no shade. Have fun! this was an incredible hike. I felt so small looking out at the vast expanse of the Grand Canyon. It was so great!

icy

icy

We just did this today at the end of October. We're in our early 30s, pretty fit and it took us 7.5 hours with a couple of short breaks - we added on the extra walk out to the point on the tip of Horseshoe Mesa which was really worth it for a full panorama. We did it clockwise - definitely do it the other way, as it will break up the ascent, the last mile of which is gruelling when you are tired and the last 400ft a dehydrated ordeal. It wasn't a hot day but we could have done with more water - at least 6 litres in these conditions. Also we slightly lost the trail after Last Chance Mine, so keep your eyes peeled!

Great trail but you have to have respect for it. I thought I’d share technical data. I am 5’5” 145 lb 35 YOF and my husband is 5’11” 150 lb 44 YOM. We are fit. We work out 1-2 hours every day and have some hiking experience. The trail took us 7.5 hours with a 0.5 hour lunch and several breaks for photos on the way down. I think 6 hours will be pushing it for anybody with an average fitness level/hiking experience. I am guessing, no matter time of year, sunscreen is a must. We took 1.25 gal of water (5 L) and it was enough. We did electrolyte replacement tabs. Made some difference, I think. The trail is more than 11.6 mi. It is more like 14-15 mi in length based on apple watch tracking. Be sure to have some sort of a map on you and check your location every mile or so. With bright sun in your face, easy to lose trail in the surrounding desert landscape. I agree with previous reviewers, do hike counterclockwise. Way better on the way up. Prepare for steep climbs and loose rocks. Take hiking poles. They are helpful both on the way down and the way up. Be safe and plan well! Have agood hike!

Really nice and challenging trail in Grand Canyon. The finall distance is 26 km! We did it in 6 hours. The last 6 km are really hard sometimes (up to 90% steep). But it is worth it! View is amazing and for more skilled tourist it is perfect way how to get to know whole canyon! Enjoy!

A trail with spectacular views, as all the other reviews say. Also one with very little traffic, we walked all day without seeing anyone (which may have been because it was July). But don't underestimate the difficulty, particularly if doing this hike during the summer months. I know AllTrails says the loop is only 11.6 miles long, but the friend I hiked with has a fitness app on his phone that says we walked 19.1 miles. I know those things aren't as accurate as a trail GPS, but I wonder if the distance rating above takes all of the switchbacks going down and back up into consideration. However it may be, it certainly felt like we walked closer to 19 miles! Even if 11.6 miles is correct, don't forget you're going nearly 4000ft down and then 4000ft back up. That makes a huge difference. Based on my experience (which included an attack of heat exhaustion at the bottom), I would certainly not recommend doing this hike during the summer. However if you're a diehard, or just an idiot like me, I would make the following recommendations for those wishing to attempt it during the summer: 1) Absolutely do not try it unless you are in good shape. Don't forget that the canyon rim is above 7000 feet, which can easily make those who aren't used to it short of breath. 2) Make sure someone knows where you're going, as you may not see anyone if you need help. 3) Carry LOTS of water, 2 gallons per person minimum. My friend had 1 gallon and I had 1-1/2 gallons, and it wasn't enough even with electrolytes. Make sure you do have something with electrolytes, I had a crust of salt on my face, arms, and clothing when I finished. You want to bring enough water that you don't feel pressured to make the mistake of trying to conserve it like I did. And don't plan on finding water on the trail. 4) Wear a wide-brimmed hat. It's not a question of sunburn if you have sunscreen, it simply gives you some portable shade which is very necessary at the bottom. The baseball cap I had was not enough. 5) Do the loop counter-clockwise, it breaks up the ascent a little better. 6) Plan on taking a good 8 hours to do the hike. It took us 10, but that's because we made a very slow ascent with lots of stops to keep off my heat exhaustion. This means that during the summer you will end up hiking during the hottest part of the day even if you start early like us (6:30am), unless you plan to make a long stop somewhere along the way. Keep in mind that it is substantially hotter at the bottom of the canyon than at the rim. It would probably be more prudent to make it a 2 day hike, camping at horseshoe mesa, if you're at all unsure of your physical capabilities. In short, this is a beautiful hike with very little traffic and a great way to experience the Grand Canyon. But don't forget that the Grand Canyon is also a very dangerous place where people die every year. Approach this hike with prudence, especially during the summer, or you risk becoming a statistic.

The trail, if you haven’t heard, is steeeeeep. Not for the faint of heart in some areas. The views are STUNNING! Also it is super easy going down, but the way back up will get yah if you’re not careful. Once you get down to the loop, it isn’t too hard but still be watchful of your footing. But the reward is a trail that is not busy and its ultra quiet. You are one with the canyon. I will definitely plan on coming back

Tue May 14 2019

Steep! Do not attempt if ANY concern with knees. I was so focused on my footing that I had to remind myself to look up every so often. Loved the constant switchbacks at the beginning. Flowers in bloom gave it a nice pop of color.

Tue May 14 2019

2500 ft of elevation to climb out but the views are rewarding. There is about 5 different perspectives you get to see of the canyon on this trail. It took us 6 hours round trip. Mentally and Physically challenging. Loved it.

Tue May 07 2019

Switchbacks on switchbacks. Took us 3 hours and 20 minutes there and back. Trail map says 5-8 hours. Awesome views.

Tue Apr 02 2019

Beautiful views. But not my favorite type of hike Steep down steep up. Did this hike in July and wasn’t as hot as I expected. it was still very hot but higher up on the trail there’s breeze often lower near the bottom you lose a lot of breeze and the floor seems to radiate heat. The views are so incredible the whole time but they don’t seem to change but not really a bad thing.

Sat Mar 02 2019

Super steep,very hard but worth it all of the hard work!!

Sat Jan 12 2019

Did this trail on 9th Jan 2019. From Trailhead to just before mesa was covered in snow making the initial descent, and subsequent ascent slower than usual. But holy smokes the trail has great views all round. I'd recommend following the ridge line past the trail which descends from mesa towards teton for more amazing views. Some intersections weren't particularly obvious so take care not to wonder off track... During my day hike I didn't see a single soul on the trail, making it even more memorable!

Wed Jan 09 2019

Stunning hike. Our first Grand Canyon hike, and could not have asked for a better introduction to the park. Completed in late December 2018 during the shutdown. We started early, around 8:30, and it took us 6.5 hours to do about 9.5 miles down to Horseshoe Mesa, with a lunch stop on the Mesa itself. Crampons were 100% necessary for the first .75 miles or so, as there was a thick coating of ice, and you do NOT want to be unsure of your step on the early sections of this trail. Oh yeah, and then there’s the steepness. Others have said it, I didn’t believe it, but this thing is S-T-E-E-P. Bring hiking poles and a spare set of knees. That being said, it has some of the most breathtaking, unobstructed, exposed views of the canyon I could imagine, and was our favorite of the 3 trails we did over 3 days. It doesn’t have quite as much variation as something like the Hermit Trail, but the sheer exposure along the entire trail makes up for it. Add that to the fact that we saw 2 other people the entire 6 hour hike and this is truly one of the most breathtaking experiences imaginable. It was quite chilly at the top (~15F), but in the canyon it warmed up quickly- make sure you layer! 100% a recommended hike, especially in the winter!

Sat Jan 05 2019

Awesome hike! Especially if you’re looking to get far, far away from tourists. We did this back in September and were only visiting for the day, so we didn’t have time to do the full trail and camp at the bottom. So, instead we just hiked down for a while, then hiked back up. We didn’t see a single other person, but we did see a bighorn sheep! The scenery was stunning and the hike felt like you were living on the edge, literally. We packed plenty of water and snacks, wore sunscreen. In other words, we were prepared. Going down was fairly easy, and hiking back up wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be. Just remember, what goes down, must come up! If you’re not in the best of shape, or if you don’t have good knees, this hike probably isn’t for you. Otherwise, go do it, it’s awesome! I’d definitely go back and camp at the bottom when I have more time!

Tue Dec 11 2018

Fantastic hike and definitely recommended for experienced hikers looking for a trail a bit off the beaten path. We did this hike in Dec 2018 and had the trail to ourselves. It was quite icy at the top, so crampons were definitely needed. Fantastic views through the trail. There are primitive campsites at Horshoe Mesa probably 3/4 of the way down. The real reward is the viewpoint at the very bottom where you are right in the middle of the canyon on an outcrop/Mesa with a true 360 view of the canyon. Absolutely stunning. This was a very demanding hike and would not be recommended for someone with bad knees. In particular, the way down was brutal and slow (mostly because we went in December and it was quite icy). Mentally, it’s tough because the most physically exhausting part is the last 3-4 miles, as with any hike down into the canyon. However the views, particularly once you get to the bottom, are absolutely incredible.

Wed Oct 17 2018

Breathtaking views throughout. This trail takes you through some different terrain unlike South Kaibab and Bright Angel. I did Grandview to Cottonwood Creek to Tonto to Hance Creek and back up Grandview. Started about 6AM and finished about 2:30 PM with plenty of photo stops and snack breaks. It did rain in the beginning causing the route down to Horseshoe Mesa to be quit slippery. Bring plenty of water. I consumed 4L. Also brings pants....lots of brush/cactus especially on the Tonto over hanging onto the trail. Not super populated, I saw 2 rangers and about 10 hikers all around. The trail itself was relatively easy to follow and I did not feel the need to use GPS.

Sun Sep 16 2018

Did the whole loop with the spring, absolutely amazing and worth it. All that's written is correct, so take a lot of water (I drank 6.5L, not sure it was enough), bring salty foods and use this fantastic app to help you find the way, as it's not marked at all (if you zoom in on all parts of the trail when you're online, the map will remain clear even when you're offline and the GPS signal is great throughout the trail, so you can see exactly where you are all the time).

Sat Aug 18 2018

My favorite experience in the park! If you hike down far enough, you have solitude for most of the way as most turn back early. It’s a steep trail but more shade than other trails (bright angel, south Kaibab). Very peaceful and different views the whole way.

Tue May 29 2018

The views are indeed grand. Five stars for accurate trail naming.

Mon May 28 2018

Bring water. The streams were all dried up.

Mon Apr 30 2018

Friends and I won some camping spots via lottery to this trail (specifically Horse Shoe Mesa camping area) in April or May 2012. Unlike Bright Angel, there is a different view every turn, lots of twists and turns, solitude, and a bit more shade in parts. The saddle is particularly gorgeous. And also unlike Bright Angel, it has a lot of rocky, tall, steep stairs in the top half which can wear you out early, even if you consider yourself in moderately good shape, as I did. The forest service provides a detailed caution in how to prepare for this trail, yet our group still made some rookie camping mistakes. We brought too much gear. A trail this steep means you need to be light, especially returning up when you're already tired. Bring extra water...We used up more than 2.5-3 liters each in 24 hours, including cooking. The spring is to the east of the campsite, at least a mile away. It's in a small fern filled cove but not easy to spot from a distance. You should have a water filter as well. I missed locating the spring and hiked another 3 miles looking for water the next day after hiking from the rim to the camp. Talk about tired. And the anxiety I felt when returning to camp to tell the other campers I couldn't find any water. We all returned together to search again and found the spring, which was a lush small pool in May. I missed a turn at the old miner's wheelbarrow.... But by day 3, when it was time to go back up the canyon, with our heavy packs, nearly every one of us gave out before reaching the top. One camper got altitude sickness (vomited) on the easiest part of the hike, which was near the start as we descended from the rim. If you're not living at a similar altitude, take that into consideration as a possible unexpected setback. Take wind into consideration as it may mean you can't get that too heavy cook stove to work that you (we) shouldn't have brought anyway. It was a grueling time due to our mistakes, but still an amazing trail without the crowds. I returned a few weeks later to trail run the flatter parts of it. If you're a novice camper, though, consider the physical toll hauling gear and water at altitude will take on you and skip a camp stove, plush bed rolls, big tents, or thick sleeping bags, and non-prepared food. Don't risk camping more than one night in times when the spring might be dry. It was also extremely windy at the camp site. I got by with a kid's sized tent for $10 from Walmart. Light and small and didn't tear up in the wind, amazingly. Items we didn't secure really well blew off our packs and out of our reach as we returned up to the rim. The only shade are short juniper trees at the camp site, but there is some shade. It felt 20 to 30 degrees warmer on Horseshoe Mesa compared to the rim. The wind only made it hotter. The top half of the trail has rock walls and taller pine trees intermittently for shade.