Grandview Point to Horseshoe Mesa Trail

Grandview Point to Horseshoe Mesa Trail is a 5.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Grand Canyon, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

off road driving

A rewarding day hike or backpack to a wooden mesa below the South Rim.

Did this a few days ago, great way to beat the crowds! Stunning vista from the view point at the end (ensure you keep following the track past the campsite/toilet right to the end, there is no actual sign for it and i noticed a lot of people turned back early). Tough hike back out so be prepared for that and take plenty of water as you'll need it. Done in fairly good pace, just under 4 hours :)

I did this hike, by accident, last summer. I almost died from heat exhaustion because I had been on a massive road trip all week and was already pushing my body to the limit. I forgot my water, food, camelpack, and sunscreen. Basically everything that I needed, I left in the car. SMH-yes, this was the day I officially realized I was a moron.

The first half of the hike is straight down. I was basically running the whole time. The second half was brutal as the sun was burning me, my mouth was drier than it has ever been, and I was walking on a stair stepper for 2 hours. My mind started playing tricks on me at some point as the dehydration took hold.
All that being said, I would like to do it again but this time prepared LOL

One of the best hikes I’ve ever done. Incredibly challenging if hot

Possibly my all time favorite dayhike. I recommend going all the way out to the tip of the right fork of the 'horseshoe', adding a little under a mile each way. Its all flat so it doesn't expend too much energy to accomplish. It gives you a far better view of the inner canyon than at horseshoe mesa, plus you can get a glimpse of the Colorado River. There is a mostly established trail that runs out to the right through group campsites and eventually to the tip of the horseshoe. I've done this trail twice now and wish I'd known to do this the first time rather than just stopping and turning around at the horseshoe mesa sign! Completed this past Sunday, Feb 25th- still a good amount of snow near the rim and for the first mile or two of the hike, where the trail gets little sun.

This trail is nature's stair master on fleek. It's a shortened version of the Grandview Trail Loop. If you have the time and the stamina, definitely do the whole loop. It is WELL worth it.

I took my two boys ages 10 and 11 for a two day backpacking trip where we camped at Horseshoe Mesa campground. The trail is quite steep even by Grand Canyon standards as it features three sets of switch backs on about a 1.5 mile upper section. The trail features cobblestone on the switchbacks. The views of the Horseshoe Mesa itself and underlying Canyon are impressive. The campground is easily found with signs that my boys and I were able to find in the dark. We explored the Mesa and the antique mining house and old gear left behind. There are several mines , but are off limits. The most difficult part of our trip was retrieving water from Page Springs, which I found plenty of water available in late December. Great trip , just be careful on your way down to Page Springs.

Awesome trail, lightly trafficked compared to other hikes in the south rim. Saw just a handful of people on this trail around mid-day. Past the Horseshoe Mesa sign there is a excellent look out where the trail dead ends at one of the ends of the horseshoe; makes the whole things about 8.5 miles. It’s a steep one and really uneven/rocky.

Best Trail at the South Ridge: lightest Traffic and steepest ascents! Great workout, quick down and up to Horseshoe for those conditioned.

Weather can be 30-40 degrees different from top of ridge to bottom at Canyon floor- It was sunny and warm at bottom and snowing when we got back to the top, so bring layers.

Amazingly beautiful hike, trail was easy to follow and in good condition. We hiked all the way to the north end of Horseshoe Mesa for a stunning view at the inner canyon (probably about a mile past the campground, but trail is quite level). Trail is strenuous (especially your way back up), it took us about 5 hours to complete (without breaks). We only met three other hikers on the trail. Weather was not too hot for August with a nice cool breeze.

Long for a day hike, be prepared with lots of water and plenty of layers. If you want to get to the Mesa you'll need to start early to get back before dark.

Saturday, March 18, 2017

Hiked it in a little over 4 hours. Beautiful sunset as we were climbing back to rim. Lots of steps, but would do it again.

Sunday, February 26, 2017

Not many people do this trail. Great trail. Took 2 litres of water and about 1 of Gatorade. Drank it all. Hiked in August. Very hot, leave early to avoid the heat.

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Only went down 2.5 miles or so, but still a highly enjoyable trail, very quiet, saw "maybe" 2 other groups of hikers, way more enjoyable that Bright Angel, Also has some pretty good drop offs which we found exciting, would do again!

Monday, July 18, 2016

Challenging! Bring tons of water because you will need it all. We didn't hike the entire trail because we were in a time crunch but I definitely want to return to go all the way.

Wednesday, March 09, 2016

Favorite hike I've ever done. The Grand Canyon is unmatched.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Would give 6 Sara if possible. Difficult start to the trail, gets a not easier. Recommend hiking down before sunrise to watch it from inside the canyon. Also once you get to the old structure, keep going through the low brush to the awesome outlook points. Highly recommended.