Learn more

Grand Falls View Trail [CLOSED]

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(59)
Leupp, Arizona

Grand Falls View Trail [CLOSED] is a 1.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Leupp, Arizona that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 1.1 miles Elevation Gain: 187 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

It has been reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information. A Navajo Nation permit is needed to visit Grand Falls.

Visited Grand Falls or "Chocolate Falls" March 6th. Great weather, hiked all around and crossed over the river with ease. Had a geology friend with us which really made our trip, learned so much!

closed

private property

Definitely lived up to its name: Grand Falls, AKA Chocolate Falls. I was there a week before they closed due to COVID 19. Solo hiker. I have a small car and was able to drive the 8 mile dirt road without a problem but slow; if you have a terrain vehicle, it would be much faster and easier. I parked on the north parking lot, which overlooks the wash and the entire falls. Luckily, it had previously rained, so the falls were strong and an empowering view. I hiked over to the south parking lot and found an unmarked trail down to the falls. It is very rocky and in some areas, slippery. There are several ways to get down there and not all safe—be careful. Once there, the closer you get to the water, the muddier your shoes will get. I loved it. Definitely worth the drive. But what helped is that I went in mid March after a good rainfall. Anytime after April, will not be impactful.

Not Washed Out. In fact, I drove a Honda Civic .6 miles from the falls with absolutely no problem. Drive slow. However, the falls are currently closed due to COVID-19 precautions. I was able to take one photo before being told to leave. Overall, it’s overrated. It’s not close to anything. Very muddy. It was just ok. There are many other actual “trails” in Flagstaff, Sedona, etc. that put this to shame. My judgement might be biased due to my brief visit but I wasn’t as impressed as some photos I had previously seen.

Road is washed out and grand falls is closed till further notice

ohv/off road driving

I was super worried about driving here in our Chevy Malibu but it was perfectly fine just go slow the road is packed down dirt! The waterfall was beautiful on 3/14/2020 it had been raining all week prior. You won’t get muddy unless you go down close to the water. Highly recommend this spot!

It's gorgeous. But the thing that HAS GOT to be said here is that getting there is so sketchy. Don't do it alone. I cannot, despite the beauty, say it's worth the payoff. Had I gone with a friend, perhaps.

This is my second visit. This time just after the rain. It was impressive with red water (but be prepared for a lot of mud). There is a trail leading down to the river!

Tue Apr 30 2019

Before you go, check the USGS websites to see the current height for the falls. Bring lots of water and have a confident driver. I'd recommend some water shoes for this time of the year, because the height is low enough for you to climb up to the top and play in the waterfall. I would definitely visit again, but this time, with extra trash bags to help pick up the litter.

Tue Apr 30 2019

Easy and short with a little scramble. Pretty cool being able to go thru all the layers of waterfalls. I recommend hybrid shoes. It’ll probably by dry by June. TH is not well signed and doesn’t seem to match this map, but it’s easy to find (towards the back and left)

Sun Apr 28 2019

fairly easy hike to the base of the falls with a short scramble..brought my 4 yr old down with me too. Wouldn't recommend going during May-July will likely be pretty dry

Sat Apr 20 2019

Rocky, short scramble down to the falls with open river flowing.

Sat Apr 13 2019

These waterfalls are amazing. I was glad I caught the spring run off this year that is making the really beautiful. I made the mistake and came in from the North side.and it was an hour and a half on diet roads with no services. There is no way to get across from the North side to the south either and the cool hike down to in front of the waterfalls is on the South Side. I still made a blog post of my visit here, with a 360 degree Google Earth Trail I made there and photos and videos and drone video. check it out at www dot ShaunasAdventures dot com

Sat Mar 30 2019

Lots of off roading, the views and incredible, but the trail to the bottom is steep and dangerous with lots of mud. Unfortunately, there is lots of trash on the water.

Tue Mar 19 2019

Had a blast when it was flowing and when it wasn’t! Great little day trip

Sat Jan 19 2019

This was awesome.

Sun Jan 13 2019

beautiful place long drive in the Indian reservation to get there too bad the bridge was falling block Ice in who cannot cross it otherwise we just take a picture from the top I will recommend it

Sat Nov 10 2018

The falls were not fully slowing, but I can only image at their best. It was worth he trip out and I will most definitely be back when they’re in full swing!

Fri Oct 12 2018

The falls were flowing on 10/12/2018 and were stunning! I'm sure they weren't at their most powerful, but a beautiful flow. They don't flow powerfully all year around, so please don't give it a negative review because they were dry on the day you went. They will be mostly dry throughout the year. Our GPS took us straight to the falls, although I would recommend you print the alternate directions provided on here just in case. I had been checking the USGS website which listed the discharge CFS below 50, but the gage height around 12 ft. We definitely got lucky.

Fri Aug 17 2018

The falls are flowing as of July 22nd. This place is truley a hidden gem.

Tue Jun 12 2018

Still completely dry. Possibly cool if it wasn’t. Remember to give your car a wash after driving on the dirt road.

Sat Apr 21 2018

you can drive up to the falls but I didn't see a trail head. I'm not sure where I was supposed to look for the status of the falls but when I got there it was completely dry, not even a trickle. there was a canyon with some stagnant water, but otherwise it just looked like a cliff in the middle of nowhere. This was in late April so I thought there would be plenty of run off but I guess this year has been too dry...

Fri Dec 29 2017

Isolated , hike. Very easy , unless you want to get a CLOSER look of the falls. You must rock club to get down from the hill. Not a lot of instructions on how to get there, make sure you download your map before arriving. Highly recommend a big truck or a Jeep that can go through mud!