Governors Peak

moderate 14 reviews

Governors Peak is a 5.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Morristown, Arizona that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and bird watching.

Distance: 5.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,735 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Very scenic and for me being almost 70 kind of strenuous however doable just took me longer. Heck of a view from the summit. There was only a couple of places we lost the trail, however picked it right back up. I had two friends. Amy and Tyler, couldn't find a nicer pair to hike with.

I hiked Governor's Peak on Friday and loved it! Aside from the first little climb, I'd call this an easy hike. The only other person in sight was the new Park Ranger who was just coming off the trail after assessing it. He told me to follow the trail left. It's rather primitive but I liked it that way. There were a few places overgrown or where I had to be very mindful of the cacti. I actually found a few shady spots too. LOTS of Burro droppings but I only heard them far off in the distance. It took about 3 hours round trip and I'll definitely go again soon. It's a new local favorite.

Great hike! Started at 3pm and gets dark a littel after 6pm so decided to hustle it up. The trail starts out pretty well marked after finding the start across the dry creek bed. I wandered in circles for a few minutes. Then followed the giant cairns. Shortly after starting the giant cairns go left and right. Go right. I used the All Trails app pretty much the whole way. Its pretty easy to loose the trail, Especially after the first saddle. The trail gets progressively harder to find and the cairns smaller and smaller until eventually there are no cairns and there is no trail. The the All trails map got me there! Wear long pants, I was wearing shorts and the narrow trail got me poked about 100 times on cactus and thorns The trail is very rocky and has lots of gravel that is like walking on marbles, Recommend sturdy hiking boots with ankle support. Views are fantastic. Saw some burros, which was cool. Late evening summit was fantastic with sun low on horizon. I will defiantly do this one again!. Overall 3 hrs 15 minutes to summit and back. I am not sure this is a moderate. I think hard is better rating. I like hard so was happy.

recorded Governors Peak