Learn more

Governors Peak is a 5.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Morristown, Arizona that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and bird watching.

Length 5.2 mi Elevation gain 1,735 ft Route type Out & Back
Photos (73)
Recordings (38)
Completed (38)
JJ Bush
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 7, 2020
Hiking

Love this hike, easy to get off trail but absolutely beautiful. My new favorite trail!

Audrey Adkins
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 6, 2020
Hiking

Great views and a chance to hike in wilderness close to Phoenix. I only saw one other person on the trail the whole 4 hours. It is a challenging trail, very rocky in general. At times you have to carefully look for cairns to find your route. Closer to the summit the trail has some very steep grades and a lot of loose rock so walk carefully. Toward the beginning of the trail there is a split with cairns on both sides - I went the wrong way for a few minutes before realizing - take the RIGHT side trail. Pants would be a bit better to protect against some sharp plants growing into the trail and stickers getting stuck in your socks. Take plenty of water in hotter months, at least 3L! Saw 1 rattlesnake sunbathing on the trail so keep a lookout.

View Audrey's Recording
Kiersten Bell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 11, 2020
HikingOver grown

Really enjoyed this hike! Beautiful lake and mountain views. Got off trail a couple of times and it's pretty overgrown in a few areas. Highlight of the day--seeing a bald eagle soaring overhead with a fish in its talons! Will definitely return!

View Kiersten's Recording
Susi Gutierrez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 11, 2020
Hiking

This is a lightly trafficked trail with beautiful scenery. The hardest part was figuring out where the trail started- follow the cairns- these will also guide you throughout the trail. We didn't complete it due to time but we'll definitely go back. We did 1.5 miles- it was not difficult. Can't comment on the rest of the hike though

View Susi's Recording
John Magdaleno
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 30, 2020
Hiking

This was a challenge. Trail was tough to find towards the end as I descended counterclockwise. Beautiful mountain formations very rugged.

Dean Masters
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 29, 2020
HikingOver grownRocky

Starting off having to cross the flowing Castle Creek began the adventure. Upon entering the wilderness area began a small uphill climb. Following the path at this moment was easy, going pass full green bushes blooming with yellow flowers and purple owl clover covering patches of ground. Very soon a large rock carin marks a junction that requires me to go right. A fairly easy and steady climb continues as I go pass different varieties of cholla standing guard along the trail. Views of the lake begin to show towards the south. About a mile or so in I reach a small saddle that allows me to see there is more trail to go, but down into a lush desert forest full of thick tall saguaros in great amount and stands of Desert Ironwod trees. Upon reaching the saguaro forest, the trail becomes more challenging to find. Constantly looking for rock carins large and small guide the way. The climb begins to take on its challenging part, as it goes up quickly. The path is adorned with loose rocks that catch my eye, as I begin to see numerous pieces of agates and chalcendony quartz sprinkled about. So close to the top the trail pretty much dissapears into natural plants growing all over. GPS does help guide the way, yet there is one obvious way to go, up to the top of the mountain I am on. At the summit I can see in a 360 view of the wilderness to the southwest, the Bradshaw mountains to the north, Table Mesa to the east and the lake with the city behind south east. Taking in the breeze and resting my legs I sit and ponder for a while. Finally, accepting what comes next, the trip back down. At least the path is better known to me so I can move at a better pace. I am quickly reminded of the loose rocks as my feet try to get in front of me once too much. Slowing down and enjoying the desert forest again as the fading day light makes everything look new again. I really enjoyed this hike and the beauty of the Sonoran desert so close to town. I recommend, but do this in the early spring when tempatures and flora are pleasant.

View Dean's Recording
Adam Formichella
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 26, 2020
HikingNo shadeOff trailOver grownRocky

Bring beer for the top! You’re going to want it after this adventure. I say adventure lightly. Our trek was off course, trail is unclear at spots, it was a relief to get to the end. Then we had to convince ourselves to go back! Lol It’s a good workout, a good hike, great scenery, but I probably won’t do this one again. More people need to make this hike to really establish the trail better! 4 stars only for the condition my legs are in bejng all torn to hell!

View Adam's Recording
Danielle Formichella
Hiking

Definitely not good without GPS. Harder then what I expected, but overall great for people Who want to go off the beaten path and not a typical popular type hike. Incline was definitely pretty steady all the way up. Wouldn’t say the view at the top was anything special but it was a good 6 mile workout for us (got lost ). Probably won’t do again

View Danielle's Recording
tim braun
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMarch 26, 2020
HikingOver grown
View tim's Recording
Shane Snavely
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 22, 2020
HikingOff trailOver grown
View Shane's Recording
Ronald Malavotte
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 7, 2020
HikingNo shadeOff trailOver grownRockyScramble

Very scenic and for me being almost 70 kind of strenuous however doable just took me longer. Heck of a view from the summit. There was only a couple of places we lost the trail, however picked it right back up. I had two friends. Amy and Tyler, couldn't find a nicer pair to hike with.

View Ronald's Recording
DeAnn Renee
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 19, 2020
Hiking

I hiked Governor's Peak on Friday and loved it! Aside from the first little climb, I'd call this an easy hike. The only other person in sight was the new Park Ranger who was just coming off the trail after assessing it. He told me to follow the trail left. It's rather primitive but I liked it that way. There were a few places overgrown or where I had to be very mindful of the cacti. I actually found a few shady spots too. LOTS of Burro droppings but I only heard them far off in the distance. It took about 3 hours round trip and I'll definitely go again soon. It's a new local favorite.

Chuck Guy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 18, 2020
HikingNo shadeOff trailRockyScrambleWashed out
First to Review

Great hike! Started at 3pm and gets dark a littel after 6pm so decided to hustle it up. The trail starts out pretty well marked after finding the start across the dry creek bed. I wandered in circles for a few minutes. Then followed the giant cairns. Shortly after starting the giant cairns go left and right. Go right. I used the All Trails app pretty much the whole way. Its pretty easy to loose the trail, Especially after the first saddle. The trail gets progressively harder to find and the cairns smaller and smaller until eventually there are no cairns and there is no trail. The the All trails map got me there! Wear long pants, I was wearing shorts and the narrow trail got me poked about 100 times on cactus and thorns The trail is very rocky and has lots of gravel that is like walking on marbles, Recommend sturdy hiking boots with ankle support. Views are fantastic. Saw some burros, which was cool. Late evening summit was fantastic with sun low on horizon. I will defiantly do this one again!. Overall 3 hrs 15 minutes to summit and back. I am not sure this is a moderate. I think hard is better rating. I like hard so was happy.

Nick Dini
Snowshoeing
View Nick's Recording
Alan Chudnow
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 16, 2020
View Alan's Recording
Karl Schnell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 10, 2020
View Karl's Recording
A G
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 24, 2020
View A's Recording