Goldwater Lakes Loop from White Spur

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(57)
Prescott National Forest

Goldwater Lakes Loop from White Spur is a 9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Prescott, Arizona that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, bird watching, and mountain biking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 9.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,072 feet Route Type: Loop

Nice trail! I hiked the trail clockwise and glad I did because it was a steeper climb than counterclockwise would have been . As a mountain biker also, I would have done the trail counterclockwise. About 50 percent in the shade in the morning. At the top of the loop I did a trail closer to the lake which barely changes the miles and was beautiful but more people . Great trail for exercise, took almost 3 hours with several stops. Mostly packed dirt with some small rocks. Would do this trail again for sure.

If you love the forest, this is a beautiful trail. Encountered wildlife. Visually stunning. Mini ridge line thru the forest. Took an extra detour down to the lake for a snack. Sound of the forest with small wind was heaven. And, the scent of pine is an added plus.

Please let others you encounter know how many in your party. I've done this one 3 times, 2 on foot 1 on bike. I biked it today. Great trail. Definitely recommend counter-clockwise because its a long downhill almost the entire way after you pass the lake. I would NOT want to climb it. The downhill parts are the scariest I've ever done without dismounting to walk, because I am stupid. Had to lower my seat all the way and extend my arms to stay over the bike. My traps are on fire. Almost no part of me is not sore. Gonna feel that tomorrow. I feel it right now. Parking was totally full today at Goldwater, People were being turned away. White spar was pretty packed.

Great trail. Alert- 65 yrs old average age In prescott. Lots of local neighborhoods lead into these trails. Stop when come to hiker. Hikers have right away- need time to social distance

Great trail but the loop directions are not clear. Thank goodness for AllTrails! Length just a little over nine miles

Beautiful trail! It’s a shame to see logging in the area, but otherwise the pines were beautiful, the trail is well maintained with lots of shade. It was really stunning honestly. I do think that the length is off though, I recorded 9 miles rather than 7.6.

Awesome bike ride, I recommend starting at the white spar parking lot and going counterclockwise to get the most out of it mountain biking.

Went off trail from the parking lot at the beginning onto the Schoolhouse trail. Oops. Some decent inclines in sections. It eventually meets up with the correct trail. Also decided to hug the lake trail instead of the larger loop around the outside. That was a good decision. Snow on the ground and great views. Ended up back on the correct trail only at the very end after taking little connectors along the way. Saw about 15 deer about a quarter mile North of the lake.

Took doggo and some friends. We knowingly left the recorded trail for some shortcuts and ended up ~ 9 miles. The trails are well maintained but there are some areas with loose rocks that will help you trip/slip/fall. Cyclists are frequent. Looking at the harvested trees all over this area and the ones still tagged was definitely sad.

Wed May 08 2019

This was a nice hike. We ended up cutting the hike in half due to the storm that was rolling in. However, even with cutting it in half, we still logged 10 miles. It was nice and cool that day, so the weather was just perfect. Came across several mountain bikers. The trail markers were pretty good up until the lake, and then we struggled a bit with finding our direction. We plan on doing this hike again weather permitting, so we can do the whole loop. We saw several deer along the way also!

Tue May 07 2019

Due to bad weather on the horizon, we were not able to do the entire loop. Instead we hiked to the lake and did a detour back to the parking area, for a total of 10 miles. The trail is not very well marked at the lake. Cranes were everywhere on the lake. There is also a nice restroom area and plenty of benches. This is not a hard hike; the footing is quite good. I would say the most challenging part was that the inclines were pretty steady throughout. I believe the starting altitude is around 6,000 ft.

Sun May 05 2019

Run this clockwise for a more gradual incline. Keep an eye out for mountain lions too! We spooked a younger cat when were were on 373. Watch out for bikers, you'll probably see a lot of them on the tail. Trail is thinned along 396 with most of the thinning near White Spar Campground and near/around upper Goldwater Lake. Overall it's a decent trail. Probably more of an early spring and and fall hike for me if I decide to hike it again. Summer this trail is likely a bit too hot to enjoy yourself. Good hike for beginner hikers looking for something that's some-what challenging to improve pace and wont destroy you.

Tue Apr 23 2019

Very nice hiking trail but poorly marked.

Mon Apr 15 2019

Creds: Used AllTrails Pro so accurate mileage and altitude gain. Hiked 8.6 mi with altitude gain of 1,017’. Free designated parking at Trailhead. Left 8:30 am Monday 15 April and went CW. Beautiful winding trail under 50 plus foot trees. Views of Goldwater Lake, Thumb Butte and Granite Mountain. Definitely rate this hike easy or moderate since minimal altitude gain, well maintained trail, and no technical hurdles. Recommend hike.

Mon Dec 31 2018

Great hike. certainly not worthy of a hard rating with a little climbing and nothing very technical at all. keep an eye out for bikes.

Mon Dec 24 2018

Really nice and comfortable trail. I wouldn’t rate as hard though. Not a whole lot of elevation gain or tough terrain. My dog had a great time.

Sun Aug 26 2018

Nice trail! Loop consists of multiple trails. With several side trails taken for picture opportunities, we traveled about 10 miles to complete the loop. Beautiful lake scenery and in the middle of the pines.

Tue Aug 07 2018

It is a beautiful shady hike, but nowhere near 7.5 miles. We ended up taking a short cut along the dam road north of the Goldwater Lakes, and ended up with 9.3 miles. My estimate of the full route, following Feldmeier #330 rather than the dam road, would be closer to 16 miles.

Wed Jul 25 2018

Great long hike, nice tall trees and pretty lake for fishing or a quick dip for the pup!Thunder and lighting was pretty active that day, you could tell that some strikes had occurred in the forest recently along the trail. The trailhead is just to the left of the parking lot on the right once you pull in to White Spur. Trail signage is good until the lake, then some GPS guidance is helpful. We ended up taking trail #330 around to finish the loop, took about 3 hours. We encountered possibly 10 hikers and encountered as many mountain bikers. Lots of flowers and a few wild apples trees!

recorded 316, 317 loop