Goldmine Trail to San Tan Trail Loop

Goldmine Trail to San Tan Trail Loop is a 4.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Queen Creek, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

$7.00 Parking Fee

I’m not from the area but I was happy to find this trail here in the app and that it was so close to where I was staying. For convenience, trail maintenance, great marking, and sheer beauty I ranked this one high- even though I had a spill and smashed my phone (I suggest pocketing the thing.)
I ran it counterclockwise and found the first 2.5-3 to be perfect (even in the dark, as I started at 4:30am). There is one steep incline that I had to walk and coming down the other side was a fun challenge I didn’t dare to take at full speed. On the far southwest side of the trail you head through an awesome valley full of saguaros and other plant life- much greener than I expected for August. That piece was the highlight for me, even over the amazing desert sunrise and view of town from the lookouts at dawn.
The parking lot fills up quick. The trails technically don’t open til 6am but when I arrived before 4:30, the gate was open there were already two cars there and when I left just after 6 the lot was full and people where walking in from up to 1/4 mile out. Also, I didn’t notice any water at the trailhead and certainly none on the trail, although there are some nice benches to relax on. Carry or plant water.
Watch your footing, especially on the steep sections- very rocky. Easy to trip or slip- I would have fallen more than the one time if I had worn my street running shoes.
Plan to take your time through the valley! Probably the easiest part of the trail but it’s the most beautiful too, I did a loop and a half of this trail so I could hangout in the valley part twice.

Did this clockwise. Ran the first .5 mile, and was forced to walk the next mile due to the technical trail and my shoe choice. The final 3 miles or so was easy to run. Beautiful sunrise over the eastern peaks. Decent views. Great for a pre-work run

Nice hike, but kind of sucks for trail running. Too much loose rock and steep inclines. Disappointed

Great for a short hike in the morning! Most of the climb up Goldmine Mountain is in the first mile and a half or so, with a few short steep sections. Great views, very peaceful if you go at the right time.

One of my favorites. not super colorful though

Good workout! So many pretty views. Took me about two hours to complete :)

trail was nice and quiet. not too many hikers. we brought our pup and he seemed to enjoy himself. it's nice that the big part of the climb is at the beginning of the hike. nice morning hike

First time hiking with my 6 year old son and he made it.

fun trail, but lightly trafficked? I guess it depends on your definition of light, but I hiked this trail plus dynamite and probably crossed paths with roughly 50 hikers and 25 mountain bikers absolutely blazing the trails.

not enjoyable if you're looking for some peace and quiet.

beautiful evening hike so you're covered in shade. slow and steady incline. graft for running or hiking with kiddos.

Hike up Goldmine gets hard but only for a very short portion. Great for the legs! The San Tan trail connection is not very exciting, more like a desert walk, which makes it feel long and boring. Then you hit Dynamite and book it down which is fun and good cardio. Very little shade on this loop.

Since we just moved to Arizona we aren’t the most experienced hikers but this was a good trail to build up experience. The first portion is the most difficult but has a nice view. It is $6 to hike however. You can pay at the parking lot but no change available and the parking lot has limited space. Decent hike.

I’m a beginner. It’s challenging, but I loved it!

I love this hike. The first climb hits fairly quickly and is the hardest part of the loop. Realize that this loop connects with San Tan trail then Dynamite trail which leads back to the entrance. I made the mistake of staying on Goldmine trail all the way which leads quite a ways away from the mountain and to different parking lot. San Tan was easy with a slight climb and dynamite had lots of bikers as the terrain was steady and easy to hike. VERY stunning and scenic. Not too busy on a Wednesday morning, had solo time and quiet during my hike along with a few hikers and dogs and bicyclists. My favorite loop to date.

First hiking trail!

A great day hike. Only slightly challenging at times.

Beautiful hike. Kristen and I loved the beauty of it. 5 of 52

There is some very, very steep climbs in the beginning. After that a great hike the right the desert and around the mountains.

Great trail for all skill levels.

Great mix of difficult and “easy”. Beautiful.

Great view either way you hike the loop. This hike has about 10 minutes of moderately steep cardio fun, the remainder is pretty easy. I parked in the small parking lot that is accessed via Wagon Wheel Road. From the starting point it’s a short distance to a fork in the trail. Left is Goldmine Trail to San Tan Trail Loop and right is the reverse. If you go left there’s about an eighth mile of steep, strenuous hiking in the beginning, and right is easy until a half mile gradual climb near the end. It’s your choice if you want to begin with the difficult part or save it until the end. Keep in mind that my hikes usually take fifteen to twenty percent longer than average because I stop for lots of photos and/or I like to climb to the highest peak near the trail.

Great combination of steep and flat terrain. Took me about 2 hours. Beautiful views.

Great loop if you have a couple hours to burn and want some nice scenery and a workout.

This is the closest trail to home , its nice and quiet

I started up Dynamite trail and connected to SanTan to Goldmine. I suspect this is the easier way to traverse this trail, as the climb up Goldmine was on a wide section of the mountain. The way down was narrow and rocky. I will try hiking up Goldmine next time! On a Wednesday early afternoon it was quiet and I passed only a couple people, pretty nice!

I do this hike a lot. Really like it. It’s kind of an “up the mountain, down the mountain, around the mountain” loop. You could go both directions around the loop. If you go the way I go, I go UP the approximately quarter mile that is really steep. That completes the first mile out of the parking lot off of Wagon Wheel and Hunt Highway. You will be huffing and puffing after that climb but that’s the end of the hard part. After that, it’s back down the other side, not as steep as the incline, and then around the mountain, nice rolling hills and you could really trail run them. $6 cash to park though. That’s the lame part about this hike.

trail is washed out from the summit. down.. untill it's rebuilt I would recommend another trail..

Nice trail. Watch out for the bikers who think they are in the Tour de France