I’m not from the area but I was happy to find this trail here in the app and that it was so close to where I was staying. For convenience, trail maintenance, great marking, and sheer beauty I ranked this one high- even though I had a spill and smashed my phone (I suggest pocketing the thing.)
I ran it counterclockwise and found the first 2.5-3 to be perfect (even in the dark, as I started at 4:30am). There is one steep incline that I had to walk and coming down the other side was a fun challenge I didn’t dare to take at full speed. On the far southwest side of the trail you head through an awesome valley full of saguaros and other plant life- much greener than I expected for August. That piece was the highlight for me, even over the amazing desert sunrise and view of town from the lookouts at dawn.
The parking lot fills up quick. The trails technically don’t open til 6am but when I arrived before 4:30, the gate was open there were already two cars there and when I left just after 6 the lot was full and people where walking in from up to 1/4 mile out. Also, I didn’t notice any water at the trailhead and certainly none on the trail, although there are some nice benches to relax on. Carry or plant water.
Watch your footing, especially on the steep sections- very rocky. Easy to trip or slip- I would have fallen more than the one time if I had worn my street running shoes.
Plan to take your time through the valley! Probably the easiest part of the trail but it’s the most beautiful too, I did a loop and a half of this trail so I could hangout in the valley part twice.