Goldmine Trail to San Tan Trail Loop

Goldmine Trail to San Tan Trail Loop is a 4.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Queen Creek, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

$6.00 Parking Fee

Since we just moved to Arizona we aren’t the most experienced hikers but this was a good trail to build up experience. The first portion is the most difficult but has a nice view. It is $6 to hike however. You can pay at the parking lot but no change available and the parking lot has limited space. Decent hike.

I’m a beginner. It’s challenging, but I loved it!

I love this hike. The first climb hits fairly quickly and is the hardest part of the loop. Realize that this loop connects with San Tan trail then Dynamite trail which leads back to the entrance. I made the mistake of staying on Goldmine trail all the way which leads quite a ways away from the mountain and to different parking lot. San Tan was easy with a slight climb and dynamite had lots of bikers as the terrain was steady and easy to hike. VERY stunning and scenic. Not too busy on a Wednesday morning, had solo time and quiet during my hike along with a few hikers and dogs and bicyclists. My favorite loop to date.

First hiking trail!

A great day hike. Only slightly challenging at times.

Beautiful hike. Kristen and I loved the beauty of it. 5 of 52

There is some very, very steep climbs in the beginning. After that a great hike the right the desert and around the mountains.

Great trail for all skill levels.

Great mix of difficult and “easy”. Beautiful.

Great view either way you hike the loop. This hike has about 10 minutes of moderately steep cardio fun, the remainder is pretty easy. I parked in the small parking lot that is accessed via Wagon Wheel Road. From the starting point it’s a short distance to a fork in the trail. Left is Goldmine Trail to San Tan Trail Loop and right is the reverse. If you go left there’s about an eighth mile of steep, strenuous hiking in the beginning, and right is easy until a half mile gradual climb near the end. It’s your choice if you want to begin with the difficult part or save it until the end. Keep in mind that my hikes usually take fifteen to twenty percent longer than average because I stop for lots of photos and/or I like to climb to the highest peak near the trail.

Great combination of steep and flat terrain. Took me about 2 hours. Beautiful views.

Great loop if you have a couple hours to burn and want some nice scenery and a workout.

This is the closest trail to home , its nice and quiet

I started up Dynamite trail and connected to SanTan to Goldmine. I suspect this is the easier way to traverse this trail, as the climb up Goldmine was on a wide section of the mountain. The way down was narrow and rocky. I will try hiking up Goldmine next time! On a Wednesday early afternoon it was quiet and I passed only a couple people, pretty nice!

I do this hike a lot. Really like it. It’s kind of an “up the mountain, down the mountain, around the mountain” loop. You could go both directions around the loop. If you go the way I go, I go UP the approximately quarter mile that is really steep. That completes the first mile out of the parking lot off of Wagon Wheel and Hunt Highway. You will be huffing and puffing after that climb but that’s the end of the hard part. After that, it’s back down the other side, not as steep as the incline, and then around the mountain, nice rolling hills and you could really trail run them. $6 cash to park though. That’s the lame part about this hike.

trail is washed out from the summit. down.. untill it's rebuilt I would recommend another trail..

Nice trail. Watch out for the bikers who think they are in the Tour de France

Very good hike.

The beginning is rough but after the first mile it's a nice easy trail.

It gets busy on the weekends and parking is a bit of a nightmare.