Gold Mine Trail

Gold Mine Trail is a 4.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near San Tan Valley, Arizona that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

This hike is not hard. Should be moderate. If you hike with the ranger better keep up, because they don’t wait for you and do not stop at trail intersections. Not a whole lot of pretty scenery. But a good workout in a few areas.

Pretty good hike as long as you keep up the pace. The san tan park charges $6 for parking. Views are decent at the top. We parked at the san tan regional park, hiked up the trail to the top, hiked down to the miners graves, and back up to the top. If you continue, you can get to the wagon wheel parking lot. The back up side was steeper with loose gravel and sharp rocks. Good workout as long as you keep it fast paced.

The rain has washed out great big holes at the beginning of the trail. The fools gold makes the trail interesting. There's not a whole lot to look at when you get to the top. I did enjoy the Arizona memorial and the bubbly pond with the bees.

I started this hike from the entrance on Skyline Drive at 6am. Most of the hike was shaded. It was a steep incline with loose rocks. Great cardio workout. Keep an eye out for the miner's graves on the right side right after you pass the Goldmine/Dynamite signs.

A good trail for the locals to get their cardio on however not a destination spot. Desert landscape and views were average at best. Loose rocky trail made it difficult to get solid footing both up and down. There were a couple good inclines that got the heart rate up which was a plus.

Disappointed with the terrain.
Pretty ugly and barren.
Many other place to hike that are prettier.

Anytime you're outdoors it's a good thing!

$6 entrance fee. Nice workout up the hill but the view from the top is eh. That is the case with all the San Tan trails though. Don't dare try to explore beyond the designated trail, they'll come out and whistle/yell at you.

Great hike, took my 5 year old son and he handled it well. We were going to do the Dynamite Trail, but we ended up on this one. I'm glad we did this one instead.

This is a moderate hike. Some parts are very flat, then some parts are very steep. We hiked this in the afternoon and each brought three water bottles which we finished. Not very interesting though.

The first mile you are hugging and puffing! It's definitely a love/hate with the goldmine trail (via wagon wheel rd) we looped towards santan to dynamite trail to get back to the parking. It was awesome!

Good trail, but definitely hard for a beginner hiker.

I didn't really think it was difficult!

I would rate this trail as moderate not hard. I loved it! It was a good hike and the views are amazing!

It to me seemed more of a moderate trail, rather than a hard trail. I took my 5 year old, and he did great! A trail we will be doing again soon

Hardest Hike so far... I guess we weren't prepared for the last moments prior to reaching the top?! ...a little too slippery ...a little too steep ... a little too scary... Perhaps, neXt time?! ✌️ Nonetheless, the view was beautiful and well worth it!

Great day, challenging with the skree but otherwise a fun hike. Not to busy with other hikers.

Awesome hike!

Nice short trail with steep sections near the top