Goat Mountain via Pyramid, National and Lost Ranch Mine Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(88)
South Mountain Preserve

Goat Mountain via Pyramid, National and Lost Ranch Mine Loop is a 11.1 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Laveen, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and mountain biking and is best used from October until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 11.1 km Elevation Gain: 452 m Route Type: Loop

historic site

Hike is fun with beautiful views and some varied terrian, but the trails are very poorly marked. Most trail markers have lost their stickers and are blank. Be prepared to rely on the app and GPS or you can find yourself off-trail/on other trails in several places.

Wow... I’m surprised how much I liked this trail. Started an hour before sunrise. I did the loop clockwise, which got the hardest part of the trail done first (the first major ascent) As soon as I got to the top of the first major incline, the sun was just peaking over the Superstitions. Once you got that over with, the rest of the trail is (relatively) flat. Towards the end of the loop, while descending, the trail is made out of nothing but loose rocks, so I recommend trekking poles if you have them. 90% of the 3.5 hours I was out there, I was completely by myself. I only ran into a few people when the trail merged into the National Trail. Never done much on this side of South Mountain, but I never knew it was that beautiful.

Great hike. Well maintained trail. I went counter clockwise. Mile 1 was flat. Then came the climb on pyramid. Not a scramble but definitely steep. No real significant elevation after the first climb. Great views. And a few spots where the trail seems to wind along a steep drop off on the side. https://youtu.be/iQTMfpIESTw

Wed Apr 10 2019

Did clockwise loop; I really like the steep climb. A little windy at the start which helped to keep it cool. Once I got up to National trail the wind pretty much stopped. Another fantastic day for hike/trail run. Coming out of the river bed I came across about a three foot rattle snake on the trail. Luckily it kept moving.