Goat Camp Trail is a 16.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Waddell, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 16.4 miles Elevation Gain: 3,116 feet Route Type: Out & Back

For the first mile and a quarter one experiences a gradual incline , walking on soft white sand for about one half mile, then the trail becomes rocky and towards the end more and larger rocks with steeper climbs. Up to the three mile marker, the trail narrows with very steep inclines and you need to know how to place your feet and to avoid falls. One rates this as the toughest part. Then up to three and a third miles one experiences the rocky climbs a little easier. One, therefore, can rate this hike as challenging.

Good trail wasn’t able to finish got to hot out !

Goat Camp is a nice trail. I started up Ford Canyon and went down Goat Camp and then walked the roads back to FC trailhead. I was pretty smoked at the end, but not overly so. I recommend the trail. less people and it gets farely quiet.

South trail

There is a lot of incline after the first mile

The only real tough terrain is ~mile 1.5 to a little after 3. The elevation change is otherwise pretty gradual. The whole path after the 3 mile marker is pretty narrow but otherwise mostly flat and traversable. There is some plant overgrowth on the trail the farther you get in.

I will hike this trail again- we didn’t make it all the way due to my friend being tired. But I hope we can do the full hike soon!

My favorite trail- well worth the hour drive from Mesa. Great workout, challenging at the beginning then pretty easy winding trail from mm#3 to the end to recover before trekking back down. I try to get there right after the park opens to enjoy the cool weather and solitude. I park at Area #2 (plenty of parking and a clean bathroom) and take the Bajada trail until it merges with GC (~0.5mi).

Done parts of this trail before, thought I would Mark the locations of the benches.

This one kind of wiped me in the way down. Maybe because it was a midday hike and I was slight tired. Nonetheless beautiful hike and next time I’m going All the way around.

This is a stellar hike, but very demanding. I would bring trekking poles to save your legs on the way back down. Bring your camera too.

I did this one in June 2018..it was a 106F and it was a test of my endurance and will power, but it made me take up serious hiking..you need to be in good shape to do this in the heat. I went through 2 gallons of water , 4 bananas, 2 energy bars and 2 cans of bloody mary mix doing this and I was absolutely beat by the time I was done..

Definitely challenging if you hike all the way to the summit and back. I brought 2 liters and 2 bottles of water and I ran out 1/3 of the way back down. So be prepared! Don't try making it to the summit during the summer, during the afternoons it becomes super hot and there's little to no shade on the hike. Great hike though White Tanks!

Sunday, July 01, 2018

One of the few trails in the greater Phoenix area that offers descent/elevation gain. Pretty good for backpacking/distance hiking training, most of the elevation gain occurs early in the trail.

Friday, June 08, 2018

I believe that this is the most challenging trail at White Tanks because of the distance and the gradual climb in the beginning. Be prepared in the summer with lots of water and trail snacks. There is no water supply on the trail. This trail is not as diverse as the Ford Canyon trail, but easier to follow the trail. Cell coverage might be a problem. This hike will take you very close to the towers in top of the mountain. ..not a well traveled trail..after first mile or two, I'm always the only one on the trail.

Thursday, April 19, 2018

great trail for a workout. first mile is flattish but rocky followed by a steep climb for the next mile. after milepost two you lose most of the other people and it becomes a rolling path with a few rough bits.

Wednesday, April 11, 2018

I parked at the south lot Trailhead at 6:20am on 4/11/18 and hiked to the Goat Canyon Tr mm#1. Pretty mild hike to this point. Crossed the wash which began gradually increasing in slope. Very pleasant so far. Increase in slope and rocks began shortly. I Crossed the wash again and the difficulty increased markedly (for an old guy). I handled it pretty well however the heat was intense. Progress became slow. The trail and scenery were breathtaking. I made it to mm#2 and decided to stop and return. NOTE- I carried a Garmin Foretrex GPS. It indicated 1.6mi as the distance between mm #1 and 2. And it certainly felt like it. The trip back down was quick and easy. I only saw 3 other hikers in my short trek. The scenery and solitude were great. I returned to my car at 10:20am. My total distance was 5.17mi. Total ascent was 795’. Seemed MUCH more. I thoroughly enjoyed it and will return again. Thanks much to Maricopa White Tanks Regional Park as I have enjoyed several other shorter hikes in the unit during my short stay here.

Monday, March 26, 2018

Best trial in the White Tank Park.

Sunday, February 18, 2018

From 1.5 to 3 this trail is definitely difficult. From 3 to 6.4, it’s absolutely the most peaceful trail I’ve hiked. Well defined and just a great hike. I’m 65 and I made it. Challenging at times but totally worth it.

Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Hiked 3.5 miles up then back down twice during our stay at White Tank Regional Park. Trail is rugged between miles 2-3 but certainly worth the effort. We’re 60 and 66 and found it doable. Path is plenty wide. Expect rocky spots but nothing that can’t be stepped up and down.

Sunday, January 21, 2018

Hiked this trail yesterday. I like it and plan to eventually do the 17 mile loop.

Thursday, December 28, 2017

So the first 1.2 miles is very sandy and pretty much flat... to the point where I was starting to become disappointed from spending the $6 park entrance fee just to hike a flat trail. However, right about at that 1.2 mile point it really started to pick up and became a challenging hike with a lot of elevation gain in a short distance. Unfortunately, I only hiked up about 2 miles before having to turn around due to pre-scheduled plans. Luckily, the last 0.8 miles I hiked was enough to work up a good sweat and get my heart rate up. I'm definitely going to go back next week when I have more time. A good comparison of the difficulty level (once you're past the flat part) is Paralta Trail in the Superstitions. Tip: the parking lot for the Goat Camp Trail is the 2nd left turn from the entrance gate, right after Area #1

Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Love this trail and the challenge I get every time I hike the trail. It is very Rocky and between mile marker 2 and 3 you are really in for a challenge and at times it feels like you are rock climbing. I have never made it past mile marker 3 but I love the views both up and down the trail and continue to work on adding more and more of the trail to my hikes.

Sunday, December 10, 2017

8hr hike out and back. Goat Camp Trail is a little over 6 miles up to the lollipop shown, then left on the Willows Trail down to the Mesquite Trail, and then back up to the Goat Camp trail completing the lollipop. From there another 6 plus mile descent down the Goat Camp Trail. The trail incline is moderate other than miles 1 1/2 - 3 mile marker which is a difficult elevation climb.

Friday, November 24, 2017

Am glad I did this trail in my way back down. Going up can be very hard.

Thursday, August 03, 2017

Great climb with beautiful views!

Thursday, May 18, 2017

Great trail. Very challenging as a running trail... better have great balance and eye-foot coordination!

Friday, May 12, 2017

Cool hike with great shade in the evening. Also saw some mule deer and a coyote!