Goat Camp Trail

Goat Camp Trail is a 16.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Waddell, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 16.4 miles Elevation Gain: 3,116 feet Route Type: Out & Back

For the first mile and a quarter one experiences a gradual incline , walking on soft white sand for about one half mile, then the trail becomes rocky and towards the end more and larger rocks with steeper climbs. Up to the three mile marker, the trail narrows with very steep inclines and you need to know how to place your feet and to avoid falls. One rates this as the toughest part. Then up to three and a third miles one experiences the rocky climbs a little easier. One, therefore, can rate this hike as challenging.

fee

My friend and I were very excited to start this trail and as we came to the fork it was properly labeled and we ended up taking the entirety of ford adding on rather than mesquite and hiked almost 20 miles instead. bringing a compass and a map when you come to forks is necessary to avoid this mishap. there were also some hikers not keeping their dogs on leashes which was also cause for concern as they ran around you on thin trails and also coming out at you when it's dark scaring you. recommend mole skin for your feet, a reasonable lunch halfway through, 4 liters of water, and an energy shot of some kind halfway through. always keep a flashlight in case you get lost also.

Bajada > Goat Camp

Great trail

One of my favorite hikes. Nice challenging hike

Only did Goat Camp out and back, turned around before the loop. Nice 13 or so mile hike. It's a good uphill for about a mile and a half starting at mile 1.5 but after that it just meanders through several valleys. Jets were really loud in the first valley Friday morning when I was here but after that I couldn't hear anything. Saw a few solo male hikers. Clouds were super helpful as there's no cover on most of this trail.

Good trail wasn’t able to finish got to hot out !

Goat Camp is a nice trail. I started up Ford Canyon and went down Goat Camp and then walked the roads back to FC trailhead. I was pretty smoked at the end, but not overly so. I recommend the trail. less people and it gets farely quiet.

South trail

There is a lot of incline after the first mile

The only real tough terrain is ~mile 1.5 to a little after 3. The elevation change is otherwise pretty gradual. The whole path after the 3 mile marker is pretty narrow but otherwise mostly flat and traversable. There is some plant overgrowth on the trail the farther you get in.

I will hike this trail again- we didn’t make it all the way due to my friend being tired. But I hope we can do the full hike soon!

My favorite trail- well worth the hour drive from Mesa. Great workout, challenging at the beginning then pretty easy winding trail from mm#3 to the end to recover before trekking back down. I try to get there right after the park opens to enjoy the cool weather and solitude. I park at Area #2 (plenty of parking and a clean bathroom) and take the Bajada trail until it merges with GC (~0.5mi).

Done parts of this trail before, thought I would Mark the locations of the benches.

This one kind of wiped me in the way down. Maybe because it was a midday hike and I was slight tired. Nonetheless beautiful hike and next time I’m going All the way around.

Thu Dec 27 2018

This is a stellar hike, but very demanding. I would bring trekking poles to save your legs on the way back down. Bring your camera too.

Sun Aug 26 2018

I did this one in June 2018..it was a 106F and it was a test of my endurance and will power, but it made me take up serious hiking..you need to be in good shape to do this in the heat. I went through 2 gallons of water , 4 bananas, 2 energy bars and 2 cans of bloody mary mix doing this and I was absolutely beat by the time I was done..

Wed Aug 22 2018

Definitely challenging if you hike all the way to the summit and back. I brought 2 liters and 2 bottles of water and I ran out 1/3 of the way back down. So be prepared! Don't try making it to the summit during the summer, during the afternoons it becomes super hot and there's little to no shade on the hike. Great hike though White Tanks!

Sun Jul 01 2018

One of the few trails in the greater Phoenix area that offers descent/elevation gain. Pretty good for backpacking/distance hiking training, most of the elevation gain occurs early in the trail.

Fri Jun 08 2018

I believe that this is the most challenging trail at White Tanks because of the distance and the gradual climb in the beginning. Be prepared in the summer with lots of water and trail snacks. There is no water supply on the trail. This trail is not as diverse as the Ford Canyon trail, but easier to follow the trail. Cell coverage might be a problem. This hike will take you very close to the towers in top of the mountain. ..not a well traveled trail..after first mile or two, I'm always the only one on the trail.

Thu Apr 19 2018

great trail for a workout. first mile is flattish but rocky followed by a steep climb for the next mile. after milepost two you lose most of the other people and it becomes a rolling path with a few rough bits.

Wed Apr 11 2018

I parked at the south lot Trailhead at 6:20am on 4/11/18 and hiked to the Goat Canyon Tr mm#1. Pretty mild hike to this point. Crossed the wash which began gradually increasing in slope. Very pleasant so far. Increase in slope and rocks began shortly. I Crossed the wash again and the difficulty increased markedly (for an old guy). I handled it pretty well however the heat was intense. Progress became slow. The trail and scenery were breathtaking. I made it to mm#2 and decided to stop and return. NOTE- I carried a Garmin Foretrex GPS. It indicated 1.6mi as the distance between mm #1 and 2. And it certainly felt like it. The trip back down was quick and easy. I only saw 3 other hikers in my short trek. The scenery and solitude were great. I returned to my car at 10:20am. My total distance was 5.17mi. Total ascent was 795’. Seemed MUCH more. I thoroughly enjoyed it and will return again. Thanks much to Maricopa White Tanks Regional Park as I have enjoyed several other shorter hikes in the unit during my short stay here.

Mon Mar 26 2018

Best trial in the White Tank Park.

Sun Feb 18 2018

From 1.5 to 3 this trail is definitely difficult. From 3 to 6.4, it’s absolutely the most peaceful trail I’ve hiked. Well defined and just a great hike. I’m 65 and I made it. Challenging at times but totally worth it.

Wed Feb 14 2018

Hiked 3.5 miles up then back down twice during our stay at White Tank Regional Park. Trail is rugged between miles 2-3 but certainly worth the effort. We’re 60 and 66 and found it doable. Path is plenty wide. Expect rocky spots but nothing that can’t be stepped up and down.