Go John Trail

Go John Trail is a 5.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Cave Creek, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, horses, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.9 miles Elevation Gain: 849 feet Route Type: Loop

This trail is within Cave Creek Regional Park located off Carefree Hwy a few miles west of cave creek road.

The perfect trail for someone who wants to see beautiful scenery without having to do super strenuous hiking! The trail is wide and rocky with gentle inclines and descents throughout. There are beautiful northern views of nearby Spur Creek Conservation Area and Elephant mountain and city views to the south. The cacti and brush throughout are varied and thriving. There are several natural cuts in the landscape that let you see beautiful rock deposits too. Bottom line, stunning views that you don’t have to work hard to get to.

Very nice trail, beautiful views - you really feel like you’re in the middle of nowhere Started on the north side - kept going up in the beginning but then it was flat most of the time - it took me a little over two hours - I am a beginner

This is so far our favourite hike in the Phoenix area due the combination of terrain, relative isolation and flora and fauna diversity- we cannot wait for spring hiking here with the flowers

8-22-19 Sunrise Hike! Nice maintained trail. Rocky with an easy to moderate elevation pretty much throughout the hike. Not much wildlife today other than the jack rabbits and lizards...we were hoping to see the Desert Tortoises....$7.00 fee, washrooms throughout park but not at Trailhead. Enjoy!

Wonderful! Awesome trail run!

Nice loop for trail running and hiking. Beautiful desert views and pretty quiet on the trail. I completed it in a little over an hour. I liked starting north since it was a little steeper at the beginning.

This is a nice, long loop. It rained some last night, so the temps were down a bit (the humidity was up). Some cloud cover kept it nice as we completed the loop clockwise. Scenery was nice, so other hikers on the trail and just a few bikers. I could see how this area would be pretty busy in the spring -- very glad to not have to share the trail. In fact, our biggest treat was coming across two desert tortoises (about a mile apart from each other). Took some photos and let them head on their way.

good local ride

Easy trail, bring the dog! Bring the bug spray! It a great place to start your trail hiking life or a fun place to bring your trail running shoes and improve your style. Not challenging at all!

This is an easy trail, but it is 6 miles so be prepared with enough water! This is a gorgeous hike especially at dusk, you get to see the sun set and also the moon rise over the mountains if you’re lucky. Mostly flat with some ups and downs – will definitely do it again! There are some great views as well as benches to relax every so often along the trail. Lots of helpful signs to help you stay on the trail, although it’s very well-worn so even without the signs it’d be hard to get lost. Finished the trail after the sun had already set and encountered three deer towards the end!

Nice trail. Well marked, good inclines here and there, and nice views. Holy cow at the flies/gnats - I couldn’t get off the trail fast enough! Overall, nice outing.

Beautiful area and many wildflowers. Started early morning and had occasional hikers and bikers on the trail. Definitely worth our time today!

I hiked the Go John Trail yesterday and after hiking Toms Thumb on Sunday and seeing a lot of people, I was the ONLY one on the trail. I was getting nervous as I thought the trail was 4 mile and it’s over 5 miles. I finally saw a runner and one other hiker. It’s a beautiful and fun hike. A lot of wild flowers.

Beautiful trail with lots of wildflowers. Not too crowded on a weekday. Rocky in places so wear good shoes. $7 entree fee into the area. It gets hot in a hurry and the parking lot was full by 10:30 when we got back from our loop hike. Much better earlier in the morning. It took me about 2.5 hrs to walk with occasional stops to make pictures

A favorite trail it has everything you could hope for, well marked, beautiful wildflowers and blooming cacti, amazing views and good trail surfaces. A pretty easy hike that took us 2 1/2 hrs and we are in our early 60's. We did see one snake but not a worry. We recommend it.

Great trail! Only one snake all day and few people. Great views!

Pretty easy trail. Lots of plant life. Lots of different types of rocks

Great trail for running. Go clockwise to get the elevation out of the way first then cruise for the rest of the run. Perfect surface and beautiful views and flowers. Loved this run!!

So beautiful! We did the 1st 1/3 of the trail to the Overton trail, about 3.5 mile total last week. Tons of wildflowers, but I’m sure it would still be very scenic even without. Elevation gains slowly, and I thought the trail was quite wide and clear, so you don’t even realize you are that high up until you look down. I’m eager to go again and do the full Go John trail.

Great hike with my 9 year old son. He did well. We did see a large Gila monster and a rattlesnake. Beautiful day. See pictures posted.

We are both in our early 60s - we travelled the Go John in a clockwise direction- the first mile was a bit challenging as it’s up hill although not steep it is a haul - after that is great till you get about the 4 mile mark and there is a shorter but steeper grade to hike. So over all we found it to be a great hike - no easy but not overly difficult- the path is well marked - we met a few other hikers on the trail. We went in the morning but it got up to over 80 by the time we finished so bring water. Lots of great views and many wild flowers and saguaros.

Great terrain, not too rocky with a few nice climbs. Good views too - was able to complete in under 2.5 hours at an enjoyable pace.

best trail around

Great spot for wildflowers. Not that trafficked for a Saturday morning. Would go clockwise on the hike— enjoyed getting one of the larger ascends knocked out first. Trail is well marked.

Great day to hike today. The wind was ok and the trail had pockets of wild flowers. We did the loop clockwise and about a mile and half from the parking lot we saw more poppies in this area. Nice relaxing hike.