Geronimo Head is a 3.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Tortilla Flat, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 3.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,332 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This is a rough hike as there really is no trail to follow. Once in a while if your lucky you will see a cairn. The brush is thick and lots of catclaws. You will be hiking up most of the way to the top. Lots of loses rocks and gravel. You need to have plenty of water and really good boots.

This trail pretty much follows a wash bed. Lots of climbing and maneuvering involved! Definitely not for dogs, even big dogs would have a hard time climbing up all the boulders. Really pretty, water creek. Really steep in places. For advanced climbers.

We had a great time. Kind of a “choose your own adventure” hike. And we definitely did that lol. Don’t do what we did (sidehill three ridges). This debacle only happened because the directions to the trail are somewhat contradictory to the photos of the “trailhead”. But its no matter. It wasn’t too tragic and we ended up enjoying ourselves and eventually reaching what we considered the desired “trail”. The whole deal is bushwhacked anyway so just park and head uphill and stay positive lol. Try not to break your ankle 10/10 would recommend. We’ll be back, and we’ll take a different route everytime probably. “Stay low, move fast” Also don’t bring your dog:)

Lots of overgrowth and some scrambling. Stagnant ponds and tons of bugs.

Experienced hikers with top of the line gear only. No trail and major rock climbing, but some of the most majestic, breathtaking views. Definitely not a tourist attraction.

Sat May 18 2019

If I could leave zero stars I would

didn't finish but we'll be back

Tue Dec 11 2018

The sights were beautiful, and my kids had a blast exploring, but after coming to our second dead end, we turned back.

Sat Nov 24 2018

A group of us worked hard to try and make this a great hike, we definitely had a great time, in all reality there is no trail. We found a few great caves, 2 tarantulas, and some pretty cool lizards.. but never got to a point for a great view..So much overgrowth..

Wed May 07 2014

It was a beautiful morning for a hike. A friend and I started out at Tortilla Flats. We used her gps as there really is no trail to follow. It was a challenge and the views were breathtaking. Once we reached the top we had views of Weavers Needle, Black top Mesa, Canyon Lake, La Barge Canyon and of course Battleship Mountain. But of course things got rough for me on the the way down. We were about a half a mile from my car when I slipped on some lose rocks and got my left leg caught between two rocks. I ended up with a broken ankle 2 plates and 13 screws. Hopefull I will be able to start hiking by the end of May.

Tue Nov 21 2017