Geronimo Trail

Geronimo Trail is a 5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Nice hike, lots of wildlife, lots of dog poo right in the middle of the trail. Poorly marked at times, we definitely got ‘lost’ once. Saw a total of 8 other people. Would recommend and will be back for sure!

Good hike. Steep at the beginning but a nice break about halfway through. Ended the hike a little early so didn’t get to the top. I’d bring visitors to this trail. We didn’t see one person the entire hike. Very quiet

Good hike!

I would definitely write this Trail as moderate not hard. I'm a pretty experienced hiker, but even so I found this trail to be pretty easy. It took me 1 hour to get up in 45 minutes to get back down. I didn't have any of this bushwhacking problem. However I did find there was a bit of poop on the trail, but not nearly as much as it sounded like there would be. I was also a little bit disappointed when I got to the top and realized that I could have drove up there and people were walking in and out and couldn't believe that I had hiked up. Just kind of took some of the excitement out of reaching the top

Beautiful scenery and a good workout! Took us about 2 1/2 hours to get to the top and back. We did get lost a couple times just make sure to keep a look out for trail posts.

Easy to maybe moderate hike. Not a pretty hike in my opinion and lots of dog poop on the trail. Many other options besides this one to hike at South Mountain. Reaching the bench with graffiti on the end was anti-climactic and underwhelming.

nice hike. took me 3+ hrs to hike the trail.

Fantastic hike - somewhat technical at times, mild at others; lovely flora/fauna, beautiful rock, great views of Phoenix as well as a few peaceful valleys to explore.

This is a fun trail with a decent elevation change for being in the valley. The view of the city is the best part!

Great hike. Lots of solitude here.
Only saw one hiker/trail runner the whole hike.
Views are great!

Steep elevation climb in the beginning and at the end. Great views from the Buena vista lookout on top. You can also drive to the top via roadway. Not a lot of traffic, so some areas of the trail not well marked. The GPS coordinates take you to the trail head with a small dirt parking area.

Perfect length and great views from the top.

Saw very light traffic on this trail. This is a long trail that goes through various up and downs and through some canyons. Very pretty and feels secluded for some part. Trail is long and so elevation change feels a bit more gradual. Initial part is nice steep climb through the rocks. Could turn on the heat by hiking up fast paced or even trail running. The bench at the top is nice but there is a road that comes to it. So could get busy up top. Watch for mountain bikers as the trail meets the national trail towards the end. Finding the trail head and parking is a challenge. Use the pictures on this website and on google maps to make sure you don't miss it. Parking can be a challenge.

Nice trail with large rocks. Some 2 foot step ups which means 2 foot step downs on the return. Would be hard on your knees without sticks. Will do again. Great views of downtown Phoenix for about 1/3 of the trail. Finding the trail head is a pain in the butt if you are not familiar with the area. It is dead center between the 2 traffic arrow signs and just North of the Dobins and 20th Street sign.

Back on Geronimo today. First time in a year! Last June I went up twice the same wrong way, I completely missed the trail and bushwhacked the whole way up and down, finding a very interesting outlet over massive boulders, exiting onto the Boy Scout Camp next door. Today I paid better attention and managed to follow the trail up and down. The trail is not completely well defined in spots, and a little bouldering and trail finding are required. Call it bushwhacking. Still, for the most part, I followed the trail today. I made it to the top and thought I would find National there, but I didn't see any trail markers for National, so not sure I got there. The trail continued on from there, but running out of daylight, I turned around and went back down. I did only 1.75 miles to the top, so 3.5 miles up and down. Geronimo is a difficult and appealing trail, made all the more difficult by today's 110 degree heat. I had 3 liters of water with me, and went thought most of it, but I had enough. I want to continue on the trail past the summit that I found, but will probably need more than a couple hours to do it. Anyway, this is more great hiking at South Mountain.

Sunday, May 14, 2017

A good workout on a lightly populated route. Great views. Feel the burn on the return!

Monday, May 08, 2017

Definitely worthwhile!!! Quite and peaceful

Sunday, October 02, 2016

haven't been there yet!

Sunday, June 05, 2016

Back on Geronimo today. Actually, today and yesterday. Yesterday I came out planning to take Geronimo to National. I had never done that before and somebody on the trail told me I had to travel through the wash to reach National. I found the wash and started through it but didn't find a turn off to National above. I just continued through the wash. It's a large wash that would probably form quite a river in heavy rain. Walking through the wash, I twice heard bees buzzing behind a rock wall. Not sure if they were killer bees, and fortunately, they didn't appear outside the wall. The wash turns downhill at the end and there it is full of massive boulders pushed up from underground. It gets tricky in there and one could easily fall and break arm, leg, or even head. In more than one spot I sat down to scoot down over the boulders. I was wearing my super flexible athletic shorts and I had my phone in the pocket . I reached the end and realized I had dropped my phone. Somehow it slipped out of my pocket, probably during one of my safety scoots. I went back today to find it and sure enough I did. It was laying in the sand where I must have scooted down and dropped it the day before. Amazing! The wash lets out right into the Boy Scout Camp. The Boy Scouts use the wash to practice rock climbing. This is an interesting and challenging hike. Take your life in your hands and give it a try!

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Did Geronimo today. First time ever. It's a little hard to find. On 20th Street just north of Dobbins, almost to Euclid. It's on the east side of 20th Street where there is just an unpaved turn off and no markings on the street. I pulled in there not knowing and was lucky enough to find two other hikers who knew the way. There is a small city trailhead sign just off the road, but that's easy to miss. Up the trail I went, admiring the flowering cactus. It's a rugged trail but not terribly difficult. You get the chance to do some bouldering on the way up. It is a little bit easy to fall off the trail and go stumbling over rocks through the desert, so watch where you are going. There are some trail markers though really not a lot. This trail is directly next to the Boy Scout camp and you can also wind up in there. I only did about 3 1/2 miles today and I didn't see it all but I saw enough to get the flavor. It is more superb South Mountain hiking. Highly recommended!

Sunday, May 08, 2016

would be 5 stars but no parking

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Geronimo Trail all by itself is an interestingly varied trail. But my favorite thing about Geronimo is that you can park between the Geronimo and Mormon trailheads, hike up Geronimo, follow National till you get to Hidden Valley, hike the Hidden Valley (follow the loop counterclockwise for maximum fun and beauty) and then finally follow down Mormon Trail back to your car. One of the most fun loops on all of South Mountain.

Saturday, January 23, 2016

Fun way to ease back into hiking, some elevation in the middle.

Saturday, October 31, 2015

my favorite in phx so far!

Saturday, August 23, 2014

Great views of Phoenix and a decent trail! Beware on your way back, it's easy to end up on a unnamed trail that leads to the Boy Scout camp! :)

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

This trail is more raw than others around. Trail markers are not plenty so it may be easy to get off track in some areas. The loose rocks give the trail a moderate rating for intensity, but I would in no way categorize this as difficult/hard.

As for directions on getting to the trail we parked at the Mormon Trailhead, walked west on E. Euclid, took a left on S. 22nd st., then a right on E. Beth st. Voila, the trail is at the end of the street.

Wednesday, June 06, 2012

It was a very nice day out, not to many people, then again it was Monday and a bit hazy out. But always enjoy the out doors