Geronimo Trail

Geronimo Trail is a 5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Perfect length and great views from the top.

Saw very light traffic on this trail. This is a long trail that goes through various up and downs and through some canyons. Very pretty and feels secluded for some part. Trail is long and so elevation change feels a bit more gradual. Initial part is nice steep climb through the rocks. Could turn on the heat by hiking up fast paced or even trail running. The bench at the top is nice but there is a road that comes to it. So could get busy up top. Watch for mountain bikers as the trail meets the national trail towards the end. Finding the trail head and parking is a challenge. Use the pictures on this website and on google maps to make sure you don't miss it. Parking can be a challenge.

Nice trail with large rocks. Some 2 foot step ups which means 2 foot step downs on the return. Would be hard on your knees without sticks. Will do again. Great views of downtown Phoenix for about 1/3 of the trail. Finding the trail head is a pain in the butt if you are not familiar with the area. It is dead center between the 2 traffic arrow signs and just North of the Dobins and 20th Street sign.

Back on Geronimo today. First time in a year! Last June I went up twice the same wrong way, I completely missed the trail and bushwhacked the whole way up and down, finding a very interesting outlet over massive boulders, exiting onto the Boy Scout Camp next door. Today I paid better attention and managed to follow the trail up and down. The trail is not completely well defined in spots, and a little bouldering and trail finding are required. Call it bushwhacking. Still, for the most part, I followed the trail today. I made it to the top and thought I would find National there, but I didn't see any trail markers for National, so not sure I got there. The trail continued on from there, but running out of daylight, I turned around and went back down. I did only 1.75 miles to the top, so 3.5 miles up and down. Geronimo is a difficult and appealing trail, made all the more difficult by today's 110 degree heat. I had 3 liters of water with me, and went thought most of it, but I had enough. I want to continue on the trail past the summit that I found, but will probably need more than a couple hours to do it. Anyway, this is more great hiking at South Mountain.

A good workout on a lightly populated route. Great views. Feel the burn on the return!

Definitely worthwhile!!! Quite and peaceful