Geronimo Trail

Geronimo Trail is a 5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Back on Geronimo today. First time in a year! Last June I went up twice the same wrong way, I completely missed the trail and bushwhacked the whole way up and down, finding a very interesting outlet over massive boulders, exiting onto the Boy Scout Camp next door. Today I paid better attention and managed to follow the trail up and down. The trail is not completely well defined in spots, and a little bouldering and trail finding are required. Call it bushwhacking. Still, for the most part, I followed the trail today. I made it to the top and thought I would find National there, but I didn't see any trail markers for National, so not sure I got there. The trail continued on from there, but running out of daylight, I turned around and went back down. I did only 1.75 miles to the top, so 3.5 miles up and down. Geronimo is a difficult and appealing trail, made all the more difficult by today's 110 degree heat. I had 3 liters of water with me, and went thought most of it, but I had enough. I want to continue on the trail past the summit that I found, but will probably need more than a couple hours to do it. Anyway, this is more great hiking at South Mountain.

A good workout on a lightly populated route. Great views. Feel the burn on the return!

Definitely worthwhile!!! Quite and peaceful