Learn more

General Crook Trail is a 58 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Clay Springs, Arizona that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 58.0 mi Elevation gain 3,946 ft Route type Point to Point

Wildlife

Waypoints (0)
Contact
Getting There

Arizona Office of Tourism, 2702 N. 3rd St., Suite 4015 , Phoenix, AZ, 85004, Phone: 888-520-3434, Fax: 602-240-5432, mfioritt@pni.com

Directions from Flagstaff: Drive about 55 miles south on Forest Highway 3. Turn south (right) on AZ 87 and drive 9 miles to FR 300. You'll find a number of access points along this road. FH 3 and AZ 87 are paved. FR 300 is graveled and suitable for passenger vehicles except during winter when it is closed.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (10)
Photos (15)
Recordings (8)
Completed (13)
Ted Rowe
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Apr 27 2020
OHV/Off Road Driving

I forgot to stop the recording so many of the miles east of woods canyon lake are irrelevant... I loved this trip! We started mid-day at Strawberry and ended at the turn-off for woods canyon lake on the 260. The distance between the turn-off from the 87 to the 260 is about 45miles (give or take a couple.) I’m not sure if the speed limit, but if you travel without stops it’ll be at least couple of hours to complete. It is definitely a day trip and if you wish to return to the city you may want to start early to allow for time out of the car. The fr-300 is an easy trail to drive. I did it in my Subaru Outback with some A/T tires and never felt like I pushed my car. I believe that (provided its dry) any stock vehicle (save sports cars) could accomplish this forest road. I could imagine after rain 4wd or awd would become almost necessary. Furthermore, I would only do this in the late spring through early fall, weather permitting. The road is mostly flat and there are very few “steep” section. Nothing that would make you want for traction or horsepower. As far as the worthiness of taking a day trip along the FR-300, don’t think about it! Just do it! There are amazing views around almost every turn! Many spots along the way make for good camping or just a place to picnic. Lots of ponderosas and some fir trees line the the rim allowing plenty of shade. Just remember you will be at high elevations and the weather is significantly lower on the rim than below (ie Payson.) Also it is windy along the rim. This a great trip and one of the most epic dirt roads ever. Get in your vehicle and do it!

View Ted's Recording
Julie Hartzell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Feb 02 2020
HikingMuddySnow

We got 2 mi into the trail and at parts the snow was up to our knees decided to head back. Will try this trail another time when snow is gone!

View Julie's Recording
Bre K.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun May 26 2019
HikingNo shade

Good hike- we went three miles in and saw wild horses. The shade was minimal, but the dogs loved it!

View Bre's Recording
Pam R
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat Mar 16 2019
Hiking

We just walked for a couple of miles in the snow-no where near completion. We wanted to go to Woods Canyon Lake Trail, but the road was closed.

View Pam's Recording
Julie Hartzell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Nov 14 2018

nice views, with history. Nice trail!

Genie Stapleton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Jul 31 2018

Very beautiful hike, definitely easy but we went early started the hike at 8:00 a.m. Saw ALOT of wild life, which Is why I gave this hike 4 stars. 1 Turkey 1 Grey fox A herd of 50+ Elk 5 Deer 4 Antelope Beautiful weather 76° in the middle of June.

Kelly Schonaerts
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarTue Sep 25 2012
Hiking

We used the General Crook Trail on our loop from Houston Brothers Trail to Fred Haught Trail. I rated this trail 3 stars only because the views right on the rim are beautiful. However the trail itself is very difficult to distinguish on this part of the route. We actually abandoned the trail and followed FR 300 through a majority of the way as it follows along side the trail and is literally on the rim. However, take note that there is a lot of vehicle traffic on FR 300, which was the only bummer on this route.

brent wilkening
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Jul 05 2020
View brent's Recording
Robin Latto
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Jun 28 2020
View Robin's Recording
Jamie Correa
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 30 2019
View Jamie's Recording