Gavilan Peak - West Route

Gavilan Peak - West Route is a 0.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near New River, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from October until April.

From the parking area, there is an obvious use trail that heads directly upslope, staying north of the ridgeline. After about 0.25 miles, it flattens a bit a traverses beneath the ridgeline rocks. Continue on the trail to the base of a class II gully, following this up, trying to keep with the trail. At the top of the steeper portion of the gully, the trail continues to traverse east, staying off the ridgeline up until the high saddle. From here there are two options. You can climb the class III-IV ridgeline directly. The moves are quite solid and should really not be over class III, although the exposure to the south is significant. The easier option continues to follow the trail that skirts the ridgeline rocks, entering a loose class II gully, and following a grassy, steep ridge to the top. This gully is a bit steeper and looser than the gully lower down.

We did the hike with a dog but if your dog is not wild and agile and fearless then the second peak will be impossible and quite possibly dangerous.

Gavilan Peak....Steep!!!! On ascent we did the class III-IV climb....Badass!!!! If this hike was just a bit longer, it would automatically be included in my weekly schedule, due to proximity and difficulty. I wanted to go down the way we came up, but my girlfriend Salena was NOT havin it!! That being said, we made our descent down the “easier path.” To me this was more dangerous with all the loose rock! In the past, I have been overwhelmed with trepidation over the “impending” descent from vertical climbs, only to find that it’s much easier than anticipated. Next time.... up & down the same way!

Wow is this a beautiful and unique hike. It’s a steep but short assent to the top of the peak and prepared to use all fours (not caring bottles in hand).
Be prepared to become a mountain goat!