Gateway Loop Trail

Gateway Loop Trail is a 4.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Scottsdale, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Always a good hike.

Great hike go early it gets hot!!

Very busy on weekends. Excellent facilities at base. Well marked. Great trail for tourists.

beautiful trail for a run. not hard and can easily be done in an hour to 1.5 hours

Absolutely love running this trail! Great workout. I go early at sunrise. Although the trail is marked as shorter it always clocks at 5.4-5.8 miles for me from the visitors center I think from zig zagging the terrain. Great views, and the cacti are blooming now

Can’t give a completely accurate review as we were in a rush to catch a fight so I only had about 45 min on trail. But nice steady incline, path rocky but manageable. Nice views. Wish I could have finished the whole trail!

Loved it!!

This is nothing but a workout trail for suburban white people. I walked in anticipating nature and good views but walked out three notches higher on the budding Scottsdale social ladder.

Scenic and nice variation to trail.

Fun hike, although gets pretty busy after 8 or so on a Saturday. Not a lot of wildflowers this year due to lower rainfall but the desert is still beautiful. Trail is ok with tennis shoes but much more comfortable with hiking footwear as it’s pretty rocky in places.

Nice loop trail, decent elevation, good easy distance. A but rocky for my liking... lots of time spent looking at the trail in front of my feet rather than the view. Amenities at the trailhead.

nice hike that takes you around one of the hills in the McDowell's. allows for plenty of views of north Scottsdale and dessert vegetation.

Views are fabulous

Fun little moderate trail up into the McDowell mountains, lots of great cacti to see up close, gorgeous views back into Scottsdale.

Nice Spring Break hike, beautiful views well maintained park!

Nice, well defined/well marked trail. Easier side of moderate rating for sure! Views are nice, but not spectacular. Can lengthen your hike with connecting trails if preferred. Nice parking lot, restrooms and even a dog fountain at trail head. Took dogs and they did fine, a bit rocky but no issues with cholla.

Fantastic place to trail hike/jog! Beautiful scenic views and trails are wide and well marked. Quite rocky which I liked, more challenging than just a dirt trail. Didn’t see many wildflower....not sure when they are in season. Handy to have convenient parking, restrooms and filtered water fountain at the trail head.

Great Hike

we decided last minute to go for a hike instead of a walk. It was a great trail. we hadn't planned on doing the 4.2 mile loop but got lost in the views and ended up at the saddle and at that point we figured may as well do the whole loop. It was a little on the rocky side causing me to slip as Blue pulled me along but that is was hiking is all about. so much better than a neighborhood walk

This wasn’t my favorite hike but it was still a nice hike. It was crowded but that’s to be expected on a Saturday. Nice views of Scottsdale.

Perfect trail for the day.

Loved it!

Great trail. My wife and I hiked it in one and a half hours. Beautiful scenery, but I would press on further for a better view.

Great hike. Not many flat areas, lots of rocks, beautiful vistas.

Heavily trafficked every time I’ve gone! A great hike for beginners and people of all ages.

It’s a beautiful trail. I would consider it lightly moderate. There’s lots of other trail opportunities off the loop trail. The bathroom facility is very nice as well!

Amazing sunset. Beautiful weather.

Nice loop trail. Cactuses, sunshine and moderate workout.

Nice hike. Not too steep but very rocky.

We love this Scottsdale hike! I’ve gone counterclockwise and clockwise and both directions are comparable. Our small dog has joined us with no difficulty. Beautiful views and you definitely have to stop and take some pictures at the saddle!