Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Gateway, Bell Pass, and Windgate Loop Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(365)
McDowell Sonoran Preserve

Gateway, Bell Pass, and Windgate Loop Trail is a 9.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Scottsdale, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,991 feet Route Type: Loop

Great trail - it gives you a nice opportunity to get away and is a pretty good workout. Great views

Nice challenging loop if you take Bell loop first. Easy to follow, will definitely do this trail again

Not sure what’s up Julian’s butt, this is a great hike. I’m a slightly overweight 60 year old, reasonably good shape. My wife and I did this loop in just over 4 hours, including a short snack break. The landscape on the East side of the loop is dryer and not as picturesque, but nice and quiet. The final climb up Bell pass is steep and rocky, but well worth the effort.

This hike was horrible. Views were ok, nothing spectacular. I’ve done around 30 other hikes recently. It’s very rocky on the trail, loose rocks that you will constantly slip on and maybe fall, be careful. Never coming back here. Also, I turned around (I don’t know how) and walked back for 3 miles. I pay for premium and the stupid premium doesn’t alert when you go back and walk on what you previously walked on. So dumb.

One of my favorite loops to do in AZ. This time of year is especially amazing. I recorded the hike in 4k - posted on my channel for reference: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoFCcB03vM-nepESoPJ4KvA

Lots of rattlesnakes right now.

A tough but very gratifying hike. We went CCW which is what I’d recommend. The portion between Bell Pass and Windgate Pass on the backside was awesome. Would definitely recommend. Took us 3:30.

It was a great day for a hike. Clear skies, not very busy beyond the gateway loop.

2/29/20- Perfect weather for an extended hike! AllTrails clocked 9.4 miles (takes roughly 4 hours). If you haven't hiked Bell Pass or Windgate, you're missing out on gorgeous views. I will definitely hike these trails again. :)

I love this loop.

Trail is beautiful. Wear good shoes as it is very rocky and steep in some parts

Me and my dogs love this loop. Suggest starting at daybreak or a little before. I prefer counterclockwise as the downhills are less steep in this direction. The section from the furthest point up to Windgate Pass can get very hot, as it is the most exposed part of the trail in the morning. Spring has tons of wildflowers, and vegetation on east side is very different than the west side.

Great loop for training

Lots of diverse terrain, a bit rocky in some parts, amazing views, super solid workout.

Steep in some parts but totally manageable. No route founding or rock scrambling. Great hike and workout. Beautiful desert landscape. Not much shade so great for this time of year but would wanted to do it 10 degrees hotter

The section from Bell Pass to Windgate Pass is probably one of the nicest trails in the Sonoran preserves. Quiet, low traffic, and great views.

Great hike!! The weather was cool and partly cloudy-perfect! The trail was challenging, even for experienced hikers.

fabulous views. we did the whole loop as described. this is definitely not 9 miles. this is a 12 mile hike. definitely worth it though

Lots of people on Gateway trail but once you get to Bell Pass Trail they disappear. I did the loop counterclockwise to get most of the uphill out of the way. Bell Peak is a doozy! Once you get to the other side it’s pretty easy though. Heaps of saguaros and a great view of four peaks. Took me 3:40 to do the whole loop. A new favorite.

Went CCW. Trail is steeper, but shorter uphill to Bell Pass. Perfect cloudy, drizzly day on Thanksgiving.