Garwood Dam To Douglas Spring Loop Trail is a 6.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Tucson, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Easy Hike With Classic Desert Mountain Views A delightful hike that will traverse through classic desert terrain, you'll see all the typical desert scenery along with spectacular views of the Rincon Mountain Range and Catalina Mountains. You'll start on the Douglas Spring Trailhead and after a very short distance you'll see a trail sign indicating the Garwood trail heading right (South). This trail is very well marked with multiple trail intersections and plenty of signs. After about 3 miles you'll reach the Garwood Dam, here you'll continue on Eastbound through the Carrillo Trail taking you closer to the Rincon's. After a couple of miles in the foothills offering you spectacular view's, you'll intersect the Douglas Spring Trail just below the Bridal Wreath Falls. Take this mostly downhill section of the Trail Westbound and it will carry you right back to the Douglas Spring Trailhead where you started.

This is not an easy hike. I would say more moderate. Although we went up the Douglas Spring side so we did the 1300ft of elevation gain in 2 miles instead of 4.

Beautiful scenery. We saw lots of wildflowers, butterflies, birds, and even a couple deer. I would love to go back when there is water in the spring. There is also a crested saguaro near a wash kind of close to where the dam is. We probably would have missed it if we weren't going the opposite direction.

Good hike. You have the option of going to the bridal falls in addition to the loop. Nice views but no public facilities

Love this loop!
Views everywhere. And the loop helps get the correct miles and training.

Great views, beautiful hike.

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Did this trail last December after some good rains and took the spur out to Bridal Wreath Falls. Stunning views of a variety of different landscapes and very peaceful once you get up into the mountains. I had the Three Tank-Carrillo-Garwood Dam portion of the hike completely to myself that day and saw a herd of deer down in the valley as I came down around the ridge.

Thursday, October 12, 2017

I didn't think this was easy, more like moderate, especially on a hot day. Nice hike with some cool features (dam, water tank). Lot of inclines and declines. I would do it again though.

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Perfect trail for cacti lovers :-). Due to high temperatures is relatively hard, but nice.

Monday, January 02, 2017

Loved this hike. We added on the hike to Bridal Wreath Falls which is an extra mile out and back to the loop but sooooo worth it! The trail is marked pretty well but gets a little dicey at the Three Tanks junction. Make sure you pick up a trail map at the visitors center beforehand. Nice views and lots of different wildlife and cacti along the way. There were signs for the African bees. But, just stay on the trail past the caution area.

Monday, July 06, 2015

Gorgeous hike. Happened to be overcast today so couldn't have been more perfect. CAUTION: There is an Africanized bee hive in the southern-most corner of the trail listed. You can avoid it by turning north at Wildhorse instead of heading all the way to Garwood. Saw some gorgeous hawks, ravens, rabbits, squirrels, centipede, baby Wolf Spider, and even a Tarantula Hawk Wasp dragging a stunned Tarantula along the trail.

Saturday, April 05, 2014

Pretty bad directions. I highly recommend that anyone attempting this hike pick up a hiking brochure from the Saguaro National Park Visitor's Center before doing this hike, especially if you are unfamiliar with the park. It has all the trails and the distances between trail junctions on the map. The maps are free. I hike regularly in the park and always have one in my pocket just in case I decide mid-hike that I want to change my plans for that day. All trails are clearly marked and maintained. Every trail junction will have a sign with trail names and distances to the next trail junction depending on which direction you take. Despite the bad directions provided here I highly recommend this hike. Garwood and Carrillo are a couple of my favorite trails in the park. Happy hiking and be safe out there!

Thursday, June 06, 2013

This is part of the 'Three Tank' trail that runs east and up from the end of Garwood,, past the terminus of 'Wildhorse', climbing about 1100 feet from the Speedway trail-head, until you descend about 150 to Douglas Spring trail, near (.2 mile?) from Bridal Veil. This is a moderate trail, climbing steadily, unlike Douglas which is more sheer.

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Nice hike made it a mile with the 3 year old. Saw a lot of nature and my 1st rattle snake hopefully. My last one too. Great views and well maintained trail

Sunday, November 05, 2017