Garwood Dam To Douglas Spring Loop Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(65)
Saguaro National Park

Garwood Dam To Douglas Spring Loop Trail is a 6.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Tucson, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,135 feet Route Type: Loop

Easy Hike With Classic Desert Mountain Views A delightful hike that will traverse through classic desert terrain, you'll see all the typical desert scenery along with spectacular views of the Rincon Mountain Range and Catalina Mountains. You'll start on the Douglas Spring Trailhead and after a very short distance you'll see a trail sign indicating the Garwood trail heading right (South). This trail is very well marked with multiple trail intersections and plenty of signs. After about 3 miles you'll reach the Garwood Dam, here you'll continue on Eastbound through the Carrillo Trail taking you closer to the Rincon's. After a couple of miles in the foothills offering you spectacular view's, you'll intersect the Douglas Spring Trail just below the Bridal Wreath Falls. Take this mostly downhill section of the Trail Westbound and it will carry you right back to the Douglas Spring Trailhead where you started.

Very pleasant 3 hour hike/walk. Quiet, great views of Catalinas, Rincons, Tucson Valley. Just enough exercise to know you did something but without being tiring. Saw first Saguaro flowers of season plus a Gila monster.

Hiked with Mandy. Easy walk in the desert. Saw a rattlesnake and a Gila monster. Little elevation gain. Get there early as little parking lot fills up.

Good day hike; traveled clockwise with good views of the valley. Signage throughout well defined trail. Streaming water by water tank and Garwood dam. Plentiful wildflowers.

This trail starts out easy at first but it get gets rocky and hilly when you walk towards the foothills of the Rincon Mountains. I had to take Wild horse Trail back to where I came instead of finishing the whole loop because 1 I was getting tired and 2 I only had couple more hours of daylight. Don’t want to hike in the dark. Nice views. Take it if you’re physically fit and not overweight like me.

Great day hike with side trips to Bridal Wreath Falls and Little Wildhorse Tank. Great views along the way.

Well-maintained trail, nice rolling hills, excellent variety of cacti. The waterfall is worth the detour.

Hiking this loop reminded me that I need to spend more time in the Rincons. This was an excellent late afternoon/evening hike, with great sunset views. This trail is a smart choice if you want the option to adjust your route along the way - we ended up taking a couple of shortcuts when we realized we’d run out of daylight if we did our initially planned longer route. Overall this is a very peaceful, scenic, and enjoyable hike that is worth repeating.

Sat Apr 13 2019

A perfect day, love this network of trails!

Wed Nov 14 2018

This is not an easy hike. I would say more moderate. Although we went up the Douglas Spring side so we did the 1300ft of elevation gain in 2 miles instead of 4. Beautiful scenery. We saw lots of wildflowers, butterflies, birds, and even a couple deer. I would love to go back when there is water in the spring. There is also a crested saguaro near a wash kind of close to where the dam is. We probably would have missed it if we weren't going the opposite direction.

Sun Apr 01 2018

Good hike. You have the option of going to the bridal falls in addition to the loop. Nice views but no public facilities

Wed Jan 24 2018

Love this loop! Views everywhere. And the loop helps get the correct miles and training.

Sat Dec 16 2017

Great views, beautiful hike.

Tue Nov 28 2017

Did this trail last December after some good rains and took the spur out to Bridal Wreath Falls. Stunning views of a variety of different landscapes and very peaceful once you get up into the mountains. I had the Three Tank-Carrillo-Garwood Dam portion of the hike completely to myself that day and saw a herd of deer down in the valley as I came down around the ridge.

Thu Oct 12 2017

I didn't think this was easy, more like moderate, especially on a hot day. Nice hike with some cool features (dam, water tank). Lot of inclines and declines. I would do it again though.

Tue Oct 10 2017

Perfect trail for cacti lovers :-). Due to high temperatures is relatively hard, but nice.

Mon Jan 02 2017

Loved this hike. We added on the hike to Bridal Wreath Falls which is an extra mile out and back to the loop but sooooo worth it! The trail is marked pretty well but gets a little dicey at the Three Tanks junction. Make sure you pick up a trail map at the visitors center beforehand. Nice views and lots of different wildlife and cacti along the way. There were signs for the African bees. But, just stay on the trail past the caution area.

Mon Jul 06 2015

Gorgeous hike. Happened to be overcast today so couldn't have been more perfect. CAUTION: There is an Africanized bee hive in the southern-most corner of the trail listed. You can avoid it by turning north at Wildhorse instead of heading all the way to Garwood. Saw some gorgeous hawks, ravens, rabbits, squirrels, centipede, baby Wolf Spider, and even a Tarantula Hawk Wasp dragging a stunned Tarantula along the trail.

Sat Apr 05 2014

Pretty bad directions. I highly recommend that anyone attempting this hike pick up a hiking brochure from the Saguaro National Park Visitor's Center before doing this hike, especially if you are unfamiliar with the park. It has all the trails and the distances between trail junctions on the map. The maps are free. I hike regularly in the park and always have one in my pocket just in case I decide mid-hike that I want to change my plans for that day. All trails are clearly marked and maintained. Every trail junction will have a sign with trail names and distances to the next trail junction depending on which direction you take. Despite the bad directions provided here I highly recommend this hike. Garwood and Carrillo are a couple of my favorite trails in the park. Happy hiking and be safe out there!

Thu Jun 06 2013

This is part of the 'Three Tank' trail that runs east and up from the end of Garwood,, past the terminus of 'Wildhorse', climbing about 1100 feet from the Speedway trail-head, until you descend about 150 to Douglas Spring trail, near (.2 mile?) from Bridal Veil. This is a moderate trail, climbing steadily, unlike Douglas which is more sheer.

Sun Mar 17 2013

Nice hike made it a mile with the 3 year old. Saw a lot of nature and my 1st rattle snake hopefully. My last one too. Great views and well maintained trail