Freidlein Prairie Trail

Freidlein Prairie Trail is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Flagstaff, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.1 miles Elevation Gain: 554 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Too rocky

The trail was pretty, but I definitely wouldn’t call it “moderate”. I had the place all to myself, which I usually love, but about 2 miles in I saw a pretty big bear. It was running in a different direction, but it freaked me out. I immediately turned around and didn’t see it again. There’s no cell service out there either, so don’t get lost. The trail was clearly marked, at least the first 2 miles.

recorded Freidlein Prairie Trail

The entire trail is a segment of the AZ Trail. As others have mentioned, If this trail ever had an endpoint it is indecipherable now. What AllTrails considers the end doesn’t have any distinguishing feature or view in the area. We continued on past what AllTrails considers the end, turning around where the trail meets the paved road. Overall I his is just a walk in the woods with few views through the trees. During our hike we encountered over a dozen trail bike riders and a few other hikers

Be aware that the trail is not marked as the Freidlein Prairie Trail. It is part of the Arizona Trail and part of the Alpine Loop. It is a scenic trail. The out and back trail ends but the trail continues so if you don’t have the map downloaded you will not know where it ends.

Saturday, September 23, 2017

It's an out-and-back on a very pretty segment of the Arizona trail (not much for vistas, but I had the trail to myself on a very pretty Friday afternoon in late summer, and the rock formations and partial meadows along the way are idyllic).

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Perfect shorter hike for me and my two Tasmanian Devil Boston Terriers. You can go even farther by veering off into other trails but we turned around so 5 miles. Only saw 2-3 people so not overly populated.

recorded Recording - Jun 11, 4:16 PM