Freedom Trail (#302)

Freedom Trail (#302) is a 3.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 3.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,105 feet Route Type: Loop

Moderate- very rocky, but great views and good workout

I would recommend this trail to anyone. From the trailhead I recorded about 4 miles. I went counter clockwise and the end switch backs kicked my butt. Pretty trail with great scenery. Well marked and easy to follow.

Great trail but needs better signage because I got lost 3 times. Also it needs better pathways SUPER rocky and during the spring and summer SUPER HOT but was very pretty and the wildlife there was very pretty( I saw 2 lizards and 3 birds) so all in all a very good trail

Great trail. Awesome rock formation and a good sustained distance with switchbacks and some flat areas. Relatively easy but it is a bit longer at about 3.9 to 4.1 miles.

Awesome trail, really enjoyed it. Good, hard workout. I recomend doing it clockwise so you can do the hard part (steep climb) first. Lots of rock and uneven surface. I recomend good hiking shoes. The scenery and views are really cool.

We did this clockwise to get the more difficult part done first. Once you pass the first peak it is pretty moderate the remaining 3 miles.

Beautiful trail, bit longer than 3.5 miles based on fit bit.

Perfect definition of Moderate. It was a great trail to start on after not hiking for awhile.

Beautiful, good work our trail, we did the freedom trail 302, wrapped around into the summit. Then went up to the summit. This time of the year was a beautiful weather to hike especially after the rain!

Well maintained and marked trail. I'm not sure why some of the other people in the comments found it difficult to follow. Going clockwise I think is the more difficult way to do this trail but it's pretty smooth once you make it past the initial incline. There is a lot of construction currently, so parking can be a challenge. Would not come here on the weekends or at other peak times.

Trail was really NOT well marked. We went counter-clockwise from the Hopi parking lot and found ourselves wandering off path at least a few times. The hike down from Piestewa is tough on the knees! Lots of uneven steps. Other than that it was a beautifully secluded, moderate hike. Only saw 2-3 other people until we got to the head of Piestewa Peak. We completed it in just over 1.5hr.

Kind of confusing at first because it was called Circumference Trail. Kept going & saw signs that said we were on Freedom Trail 302. A lot of inclines - good workout.

We connected up to Piestawa Peak from this trail and went up for the view, beautiful trail. To the peak it was def hard but freedom was moderate and worth the trek.

This is actually a 5 star trail if you don't bring a dog. I started this trail by parking at the Hopi picnic grounds & going counter clockwise, I followed the 302/freedom loop. It was absolutely beautiful and well marked. As I was roughly 2/3 or more through the trail I run across a sign that says No Dogs Allowed on Trail. This caught me off guard & I rechecked the map. I was not going to turn around since I was almost done. No where along my hike did I see ANY signs that said no dogs until now. I decided to press on after asking people along the trail if there was another way. All other trails led me away from my car. Come to find out the loop crosses the Summit Trail & that's where the signs are. I had to continuously tell people I was lost and I understand dogs aren't allowed. It was rather embarrassing & frustrating. I was told I would be fined up to $120 if caught. I decided I could probably explain my way out of a ticket & continued until I got to my car. Luckily, I was able to complete the loop without further incident. Once off the summit trail I was back on the dog friendly portion of the loop.

A very beautiful and easy hike. You can add in a trip to the Peak if you have time as it’s right off the trail. Definitely less people once you get off the Peak trail. The rock formations were stunning! The trail is very well marked and clean. Some nice inclines. A very enjoyable hike overall, I’d do it again.

This trail is truly majestic ✨ Lots of interesting geological formations throughout. If you’re someone who geeks out about rocks, like I do, then you’ll fall in love with this trail ⛰

My first trail I ever did , hiking first. Seemover nice a lot of good photo spots. Had a great day

Beautiful trail. Loops you around to Piestewa Peak Summit Trail. Traffic is moderate until you get to the back of the trail, then its sparse. There are only a few places that provide shade so make sure your prepared and have plenty of water.

lots of stairs but fairly quick! As someone who doesn't hike this took me about an hour and a half.

Great hike if you want to beat the crowd at Squaw Peak summit trail.

Good hike a little hot, get out early and get er done!!! I think it would be great to trail run this trail.

Saturday, June 02, 2018

Well marked, some loose surface and sharp rocks. Good for experienced trail runners. Great views, easy to get to from Scottsdale. I went clockwise, I think best direction for early morning shade and allows for a faster finish pace back through the valley to the car parks. Get the steep, busy summit section done first. Lots of people park close to the start of the summit tail. You can park further up and jog down to the start. Going back to do again on my next visit and will include the summit trail to add some more distance.

Sunday, May 13, 2018

Nice hike- Good ups and down.Started with the summit trail and decided to break for the freedom one, loved it being a peaceful hike.

Friday, May 04, 2018

I did this one this morning. Started around 5:10AM. Took me a little over 2 hours, went counter-clockwise. What a beautiful trail. Very interesting and moderately challenging. Highly recommend. I don't care for the "down" on the Summit Trail, but I highly recommend this fantastic hike.

Saturday, March 17, 2018

Sneaky hard trail. Good Stuff!!

Tuesday, March 06, 2018

I’ve done both clockwise and counter. Clockwise seemed to be a “better” descent. Very rocky but good trail to run in parts

Tuesday, February 06, 2018

I’d rate it 5*+ but should be reclassified as “Moderately Hard”. Rocky, graniti, ziggy zaggy ups n downs. I went counter clockwise. NOT for bikes. Long. steep climb at 2.5-3 km, then long, rocky descent from 3-3.5. But you’re not done with them yet; another steep zig zag climb to high saddle at @ km 4.5-5.5. Here you hit the Summit trail and have the long, steep descent to its beginning. Glad I went counter!

Friday, February 02, 2018

Did the trail counterclockwise. Loved having the first part of my hike more secluded, and by the time I was pumped up, connected with Piestewa. #302 is heavily trafficked in that the trail itself is very well defined, but not tons of people. #300 is another story. I did get off-the-beaten path at one point...not sure how that happened. Even so, I did this in exactly 2 hours. I love the descent of the Summit Trail, so ending this way was really nice. I would recommend 2-2.5L of water (for February). I’m 29 and fairly fit. I can easily see this taking 3 hours for some. You can also park in any of the parking lots and jump in at different points of the trail. I park wherever I can find a spot, but my favorite is Hopi for the counterclockwise route. Hope this helps! :)

Thursday, February 01, 2018

So fun and rewarding. Lots of quiet areas. Beautiful rock formations.