Freedom Trail (#302)

Freedom Trail (#302) is a 3.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

1 minute ago

go early, like 7am to avoid heat and get a place to park!

The hike was definitely more difficult than other "moderate" hikes on this website. The elevation gain is not gradual and happens at a two or three points throughout the trail. The scenery was great and there are even a few points where you get a great view of downtown Phoenix! This trail does overlap with the summit trail for a time, which is much more heavily trafficked, so keep that in mind. Bring lots of water!

Training for the Grand Canyon next month. Was told if I could do the summit twice up down up down then I’d be ready for the Canyon. So I thought doing the freedom trail would get me the length endurance I am definitely out of shape as I made it 0.5miles up and I’m heading back down. I’ll try the summit tomorrow and see how far up I can make it.

Pretty trail with great views of the city!

What a beautiful trail, especially at sunrise. If you're truly following #302 it's not well marked in a couple of places, so having your AllTrails map will help. Steep incline in a couple of places takes this to the moderate level. Highly recommend.

A great and challenging hike. It was very challenging for out of shape adults and our 8 year old alike. Well worth the effort though. Definitely will go earlier next time, 9am was way too late with the heat!

Recommend going before it gets too dark. The back side gets a little spooky at night.