Freedom Trail (#302)

Freedom Trail (#302) is a 3.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

1 hour ago

Love this trail! It is a little bit on the moderate/difficult side but only when it coincides with the summit trail. Beautiful views of both the city and the desert surrounding the trail. Would definitely recommend bringing a lot of water on hot days as most of the trail is without shade.

Loved this trail!! It was definitely a hard one tho. Challenging.

We hiked this a few days ago and it was amazing!! We started at 7am and there was a lot of shade for most of the hike!

go early, like 7am to avoid heat and get a place to park!

The hike was definitely more difficult than other "moderate" hikes on this website. The elevation gain is not gradual and happens at a two or three points throughout the trail. The scenery was great and there are even a few points where you get a great view of downtown Phoenix! This trail does overlap with the summit trail for a time, which is much more heavily trafficked, so keep that in mind. Bring lots of water!

Training for the Grand Canyon next month. Was told if I could do the summit twice up down up down then I’d be ready for the Canyon. So I thought doing the freedom trail would get me the length endurance I am definitely out of shape as I made it 0.5miles up and I’m heading back down. I’ll try the summit tomorrow and see how far up I can make it.

Pretty trail with great views of the city!

What a beautiful trail, especially at sunrise. If you're truly following #302 it's not well marked in a couple of places, so having your AllTrails map will help. Steep incline in a couple of places takes this to the moderate level. Highly recommend.