Freedom Trail (#302)

Freedom Trail (#302) is a 3.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 3.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,105 feet Route Type: Loop

I’ve done this train twice. So glad I did it clockwise the second time. It’s a pretty hefty ascent, but the descent is gradual and on old maintenance roads, so my old knees loved it. Very urban and you never feel like you e left the city, but a good workout trail.

Amazing moderate hike. Go clockwise and do the loop.

I would recommend this trail to anyone looking for a moderate to hard hike. It’s dog friendly and lightly trafficked. You will definitely get a good workout. It took us 1hr & 50min walking pace and with a few stops for water and taking pictures. Nice views of Phoenix at some points throughout the trail. The trail was well marked.

recorded Freedom Trail (#302)

Once again I read easy to moderate trail. We went counter clockwise.Started out great. Steady incline up to top. Rested a bit then headed down. Or so we thought. Switchbacks galore. Lots more uphill climbing. Rocky, steep, high stairs. Really hard. Very challenging trail. Beautiful and spectacular vistas. At 60 and 66 it was a tremendous workout. Haha. But we did it. Took nearly 3 hours and I cried a little but we did it. Bring 3 to 4 water bottles.

2 days ago we did 300 piestewa peak trail and planned to do this 302 circle trail on the way down but ran into a local that told us there were problems on this trail. But after talking to local who said it was a great walk we did the trail this afternoon starting 4 pm and it was a great walk. Took us a leisurely 2 hours and had ups and downs but nothing particularly difficult. The views and scenery were wonderful We’re really happy to have done the trail and particularly recommend it for someone who thinks the trail to the peak might be too difficult. Even though we did the trail on Sunday there was parking and the tail was not crowded.

Such a great trail to take if you’re not feeling the more crowded summit route. More picturesque and scenic in my opinion too, as your view changes frequently throughout the route. I went around 3pm and only saw maybe 10 other people on the trail until it connected with the summit trail down. Nice benches randomly found throughout the trail for a rest/snack. Next time I do this I’ll add the summit to make it a little longer.

I drove here right after finishing Echo trail up Camelback Mountain. In retrospect I should have hiked the trail counterclockwise. My legs didn't appreciate the immediate steepness of the trail while hiking clockwise. I enjoyed the trail and views on the backside much more than on the front.

Takes about two hours. Coming up is great and seemingly secluded. once you think you are almost done you start climbing another mountain. coming back down the second mountain is annoying because it's crowded with steep steps. Not bad, but not my favorite.

One of my favorites! I appreciate the seclusion of this trail when it breaks from the summit trail. A great workout!

Scheduled this hike to do with a group of people. We started late, around 1130, and it took us about 30 min to find parking. All of the lots were full and ended up parking at the bottom of the hill in a residential neighborhood. It was on the hard side of moderate. I'm tall, with long legs, and some of the "steps" where a bit much for me. My dog was even struggling towards the end. Also something to note, depending on how you do this trial, we went counter-clockwise, you will be on the Summit Trail either in the beginning or the end, which is is rated difficult and doesn't allow dogs. I did not realize that as I had my dog with me. Some beautiful views though.

I really enjoyed this hike as it was way less crowded than the Piestwa Peak trail #300. Really pretty especially between the mountain ranges. There are a few sections that are stair like and I’m not a fan of that but besides that a pretty great trail!

Good trail! Not too many people on the loop, we went in the late afternoon, but lots of folks on the summit portion. Nice views. 2 hours for my partner and I. Good workout!

Great hike! Highly recommend early morning 6-630am hike. Watching the sunrise through the fog is amazing

Counter clockwise in the morning in December. Decent grades. Shade on the entire north side. Cool but warmed up so we only needed shorts and t-shirts. Nice views of the city. Good photo ops on the way down with the jutting / sharded rocks.

Great hike. If you’re really up for an adventure you can branch off and summit Piestewa Peak on your way back to the car. The trail is rocky, but it’s pretty much all secured in the ground. Cool views of Phoenix all around.

Great trail, very pretty and a great workout! We did an early morning hike (7am) and it was lovely! We went counterclockwise to do the hard stuff first. I’m glad we did this because some steps were very big and might’ve been difficult on the knees to do at the end of the trek. Overall great but a little chilly on the back side of the mountain because it was completely shaded that time of day. It took us (newer hikers) 2 hours and 50 minutes to complete with plenty of rest breaks because of the elevation gain.

I did carry my 14lb. dog in a backpack up the double-black diamond section and down the mountain. She was able to hike with me for much of the 302 (aka Freedom Trail). It’s rocky though so I did decide to carry her again on the way out. Nice hike. Spectacular views — lots of century-old saguaros to appreciate. I took a slow pace as I haven’t been conditioning for these scramble hikes. In addition to water, I suggest bringing a snack. It’s a long one.

fee

Wonderful trail. Lots of elevation gains and losses but overall a moderate difficulty. Some parts of the trail were quite difficult and parts were fairly flat. Great views all around and was not very crowded compared to other trails in the same area. 10/10 but probably wouldn’t do the same trail again because there are many others I haven’t done in the area.