Freedom Trail (#302)

Freedom Trail (#302) is a 3.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Nice hike- Good ups and down.Started with the summit trail and decided to break for the freedom one, loved it being a peaceful hike.

I did this one this morning. Started around 5:10AM. Took me a little over 2 hours, went counter-clockwise. What a beautiful trail. Very interesting and moderately challenging. Highly recommend. I don't care for the "down" on the Summit Trail, but I highly recommend this fantastic hike.

Sneaky hard trail. Good Stuff!!

I’ve done both clockwise and counter. Clockwise seemed to be a “better” descent. Very rocky but good trail to run in parts

I’d rate it 5*+ but should be reclassified as “Moderately Hard”. Rocky, graniti, ziggy zaggy ups n downs. I went counter clockwise. NOT for bikes. Long. steep climb at 2.5-3 km, then long, rocky descent from 3-3.5. But you’re not done with them yet; another steep zig zag climb to high saddle at @ km 4.5-5.5. Here you hit the Summit trail and have the long, steep descent to its beginning. Glad I went counter!

Did the trail counterclockwise. Loved having the first part of my hike more secluded, and by the time I was pumped up, connected with Piestewa. #302 is heavily trafficked in that the trail itself is very well defined, but not tons of people. #300 is another story. I did get off-the-beaten path at one point...not sure how that happened. Even so, I did this in exactly 2 hours. I love the descent of the Summit Trail, so ending this way was really nice. I would recommend 2-2.5L of water (for February). I’m 29 and fairly fit. I can easily see this taking 3 hours for some. You can also park in any of the parking lots and jump in at different points of the trail. I park wherever I can find a spot, but my favorite is Hopi for the counterclockwise route. Hope this helps! :)

So fun and rewarding. Lots of quiet areas. Beautiful rock formations.

Beginning of the trail shares the trail for Piestewa peak so pretty heavy traffic, but a great way to get your heart pumping. From there, it turns off and is much quieter and less challenging as it circles around the base.

Nice hike - good ups and downs. The only part that is terrible is the part that links with the Piestwa Peak trail - it's all man made stairs and concrete. Some people bring their dogs anyway and I've come across people playing loud music which kind of ruins the whole idea of being out in nature - in my opinion.

Good ups and downs. Challenging but not too challenging. Can’t bring your dogs though because it connects to the summit trail.

first time it took 3 an half hours.
it's great for cardiovascular .5 miles.
for sure im going back.

One of my favorite trails, this helped break up the monotony of only doing the summit (#300) for a few weeks. Most intensive part of the hike is the stretch on the summit trail if you are ascending, I have only done #302 in a clockwise manner, could be difficult the other direction as well. After heading off the #300 to #302 and completing the descent, it's pretty much a walk through the desert with some elevation changes, maybe 1 place toward the end of the hike where the elevation gain is more strenuous. 3.9 mile loop so make sure to bring water. Great in the mornings as the mountains provide shade for a majority of the hike. Much less crowded than summit trail as well.

Love this trail! It is a little bit on the moderate/difficult side but only when it coincides with the summit trail. Beautiful views of both the city and the desert surrounding the trail. Would definitely recommend bringing a lot of water on hot days as most of the trail is without shade.

Loved this trail!! It was definitely a hard one tho. Challenging.

We hiked this a few days ago and it was amazing!! We started at 7am and there was a lot of shade for most of the hike!

go early, like 7am to avoid heat and get a place to park!

The hike was definitely more difficult than other "moderate" hikes on this website. The elevation gain is not gradual and happens at a two or three points throughout the trail. The scenery was great and there are even a few points where you get a great view of downtown Phoenix! This trail does overlap with the summit trail for a time, which is much more heavily trafficked, so keep that in mind. Bring lots of water!

Training for the Grand Canyon next month. Was told if I could do the summit twice up down up down then I’d be ready for the Canyon. So I thought doing the freedom trail would get me the length endurance I am definitely out of shape as I made it 0.5miles up and I’m heading back down. I’ll try the summit tomorrow and see how far up I can make it.

Pretty trail with great views of the city!

What a beautiful trail, especially at sunrise. If you're truly following #302 it's not well marked in a couple of places, so having your AllTrails map will help. Steep incline in a couple of places takes this to the moderate level. Highly recommend.

A great and challenging hike. It was very challenging for out of shape adults and our 8 year old alike. Well worth the effort though. Definitely will go earlier next time, 9am was way too late with the heat!

Recommend going before it gets too dark. The back side gets a little spooky at night.

Great trail, very well marked. A lot of the trail is very rocky, but still easily manageable. Some very good elevation over two periods of the hike that give you great views. I first hiked the Piestewa Peak, and then completed the Freedom trail. It was a nice break from the crowed Piestewa trail as I only saw one other hiker until I came around the other side and met back up with trail# 300. Overall this is a great hike, excellent workout and if you do it early enough the backside provides nice shade.

Probably my my favorite hiking trail in Phoenix. Good workout, I like to get the shared trail with the heavy traffic summit trail out of the way first, so when you break off from the summit trail it's nice and peaceful.

Great views, quiet, and well marked

nice to get away from the crowd hiking the summit.

Monday, May 08, 2017

A great introduction to hiking in Arizona.

Tuesday, May 02, 2017

un camino muy combinado, entre moderado y difícil ... disfruto escalarla por las mañana...

Sunday, April 30, 2017

My first hike, a good one !!