Learn more

Fountain Lake Overlook Loop Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(125)
Fountain Park

Fountain Lake Overlook Loop Trail is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Fountain Hills, Arizona that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.5 miles Elevation Gain: 216 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

NOTE: Users have reported that this trail is Closed at night, as it goes through people's backyards, so please be respectful of landowners.

Awesome little loop Kinda crowded near the lake but beautiful and quiet along the rest of the loop! Would definitely do it again

Closed at night- we went then and it was so cool to see the fountain up there at night, but trail goes through peoples backyards and we got snapped at.

This trail brings you up a little bit over the city for some beautiful views. I went at sunset and it was lovely. There are benches near the top to sit at and watch the fountain/sunset. Some of the trail is pretty narrow. Not sure if there are snakes but I would wear closed toed shoes.

Urban park with great views. Lots of seniors with dogs and younger couples with kids.

For an easy trail still a nice little hike with areas of incline to get your heart rate up a bit. Beautiful views and very clearly marked. Nice benches at the top of you want to sit and just enjoy the view for a few min. I really enjoy this trail for a good shorter on time hike every time I’m in the area.

Beautiful views from top of the trail. Nice elevation, but not too difficult. Hiked with my 10 year old son. Really enjoyed it.

Hike with Brooke and Hunter beautiful day celebrating in memory of Uncle Ray birthday!!! Love him so much and miss him

I just moved to Fountain Hills, lived not far away a few years ago. I'm a huge fan of walking/hiking. I decided to check out this trail, so my dog and I walked to the trail and back home. If you're visiting the area and want a better view of Fountain Hills and the surrounding area and want some cardio, then do venture out on this trail. It isn't long but still worth it, Want to get some more cardio in, walk around the lake or walk around town! l

Super easy and pretty but didn’t really feel like a hike since the trail is basically through a subdivision. It was a nice walk though! The views are ok, there are just too many rooftops, but there are a couple of good views without rooftops. I wouldn’t go out of my way to come here, I was there waiting for my car to get fixed over at Sun Devil Auto. It was a great way to kill some time while waiting for my car. Great for kids and beginners

The Conservancy group was at maintaining the trail today. They were repairing all the damage from the 4 inches of rain we had earlier last month. It’s looking really good slippery places are gone

Hike with Dad. June 6, 2019. Hot and sunny!

Mon May 27 2019

Nice cool windy 73° walk. Record low high temperature for memorial day per the radio.

Thu May 02 2019

It’s kinda hiking but mostly walking

Thu Mar 21 2019

The park walk is beautiful along with the fountain. The dirt path where the desert scenery is, is Not wheelchair or stroller friendly. If your child can walk it, it can be fun. Not recommended for any child under 3.

Mon Mar 04 2019

Nice hike, was able to complete with my 4 year old with minimal complaining.

Sun Feb 10 2019

Super easy hike with excellent views of u Hills and the "World Famous" Fountain. A short 2.5 mile hike is a great way to get the blood moving while enjoying the local neighborhood.

Sun Feb 03 2019

beautiful walk through our Sonoran Desert with use of the Verde River Valley on one side and found Lake Park on the other.

Wed Jan 30 2019

Nice easy hike was able to complete it with my eight year old

Sat Jan 19 2019

Nice little short hike. Kid friendly and cool view. Be better if there was ice cream at the end

Sat Nov 24 2018

The views + hills are great! Awesome for running or a well paced fitness hike.

Thu Jun 07 2018

Unless you already live in Fountain Hills don’t go to the effort of driving out to this hike. Was lame

Wed May 02 2018

What a cute little hike before the day gets hot! It’s kind of strange hiking through the middle of a neighborhood but the view at the highest point is pretty amazing. I actually ended up doing the trail backwards (ooops) but the trail was wide enough to accommodate. The area is well maintained and easily marked.

Sat Feb 17 2018

I loved this hike gorgeous views and easy enough to be able to enjoy the scenery

Thu Oct 26 2017

Very pretty and easy hike.

Fri Jun 23 2017

Great views and an easy hike

Wed Feb 22 2017

An easy hike to do with kids and end at the park. The views of the fountain are gorgeous but so are the views of the surrounding mountains. Nice seeing snow on some of the higher peaks right from the trail over the winter! This hike is one of my favorite to do with out of town visitors...

Sat Feb 18 2017

Better hike than expected. Combo of trail and concrete. Beautiful views of the town and fountain. Good quick workout. Recommend!

Tue Feb 07 2017

Great alternative hike to the paved path around the lake.