Fossil Springs Trail

Fossil Springs Trail is a 8.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Pine, Arizona that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A permit is required to hike here from May 1 through September 30.

Very hard hike after the first two miles . But, well worth it.

So we made the mistake of walking the Fossil Springs Trail to the Flume to the Fossil Creek Waterfall trail, and straight up 708 making a complete loop. It was really beautiful and so much fun, the falls are awesome. There was one spot of the springs trail where the springs were dried up so we walked a little further down that is how we ended up doing the fill loop. But all in all I would say this was well worth the 20 mile hike. But I wouldn't do it if you don't bring enough water and are not physically prepared to walk up and down hill for that long.

This hike over all was a beautiful hike, beautiful scenery. Very little trash, so the pack out what you pack in rule seems to be effective.

The trail was very steep most of the way down, a lot of loose rocks, so be mindful of them.

Now as most would consider I would be a beginner and now that I look back, I should have saved this hike for last of series of beginning hikes; however, it was a nice outing for my husband and myself and a good way to spend an anniversary. It was a hard hike, but we took our time and drank plenty of water, although our hike back up was towards the evening, so the sun wasn't beating heavily down on us. I was determined to see the falls so we began our hike at 11am and got to the falls at 3, spent 2 hrs there and began our hike back up at 6 and after much strenuous hiking, we made it to the top at 10 p.m. It was hard but like I said the scenery and falls made up for it.

We parked at the entrance in Strawberry and hiked down into the dam and saw the "toilet bowl". Beautiful hike, clear cool water. A lot of elevation change and can get steep. The spring water is drinkable. We bottled it and drank it. We also brought thin long sleeve shirts which we wet in the creek and that made the hike out significantly cooler. Beautiful water and an enjoyable swim. Exhausting but well well worth it.

My fitbit logged the total at 10.37 miles and I took it off for swimming. About 1500 ft of elevation change. I would not recommend to bring small children there just for that reason.

Incredibly clear spring water. The water falling over the dam and into the toilet bowl is beautiful. Great spot for cliff jumping. Strenuous hike out in the direct sunlight in September (bring lots of water), but well worth the hike!

Love this hike, but be sure to bring loooots of water!! We had to assist a fellow hiker out who was unprepared and had severe muscle cramps due to dehydration.

Easy hike... beautiful view all the way back..!