Ford Canyon Loop Trail

Ford Canyon Loop Trail is a 9.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Waddell, Arizona that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,482 feet Route Type: Loop

This is a tough hike! If temperatures are above 90 degrees, you will need more than 3L of water (assuming you hike it in a loop with Willow and Mesquite Canyon trails). This trail is the most interesting in the White Tanks because of its seclusion and varying scenery. You will hike through a sandy wash bottom, climb boulders, and see an old earthen dam.

We took both of our German Shepherd’s, 8 months and 5 years, out for a hike today on this trail. It was our first time doing this trail and we really enjoyed it! We ended up doing the whole thing from Ford Trail to Willow to Mesquite to Waddell where it looks back to ford trail. It was very well marked so you’re very unlikely to get lost. Saw a few people along the way, but it was really peaceful and weather was perfect with some overcast. It was about 10 miles and it was pretty rocky in some areas but I would consider this hike more moderate than hard just because of length but it was overall mellow!

i love this trail. it is the road less traveled because of its difficultly. i have hiked all but 1 trail in white tanks.

fee

Ford Canyon -> ironwood -> Ford Canyon

Only did 2.5 miles on it. Easy trail but very nice.

This is a fantastic trail. I did this CCW and prefer doing the scramble part uphill and the rolling hills downhill.... if you would rather do the scramble coming down then go CW. Easy to get a tad turned around if you don’t pay attention during the 2 miles of scrambling and boulder hoping. Bring poles. You won’t regret it.

Just did a beginning sample of this trail on the north side. Easy and mostly flat to two miles.

Great trail, a few rock scrambles and some delightful uphills. Trail is clearly marked tho it can get confusing in the wash section. Saw a few other hikers but for most of the middle miles I had seclusion. Parked at area 7, did Waddell to Ford Canyon to Mesquite Canyon for about 11 miles in 5 hours. Enjoyed it more than Goat Camp Trail.

Nice loop very Biddy

It’s a tough hike. There aren’t enough signs, you can get lost. The AllTrails app definitely helps! (5 stars for the app). Expect a lot of rock climbing & unpredictable situation when you need to do a bit more than just walking.

I enjoyed this trail. It has a little bit of everything. I did it Counter Clockwise. I would recommend it and I will do it again.

recorded Ford Canyon Loop Trail

Nice

Mesquite Canyon trail is harder than this loop; there’s a lot of cover and spots where the trail’s hard to find, bring your AllTrails app.

Don’t take this trail lightly, it’s designated ‘Hard’ for a reason. It was a tough hike. All that said, it’s also one of most beautiful hikes! I started at Ramada #7, did Mesquite trail and caught Ford where it intersects with Willow. Finished last leg with Waddell. Bring plenty of water. I brought 3L and finished it off just before end of hike but I know everyone is different.

Trail was great! Bathrooms at rest area 9 were the best I’ve been to on a trail. When on the trail starting at rest area 9 be sure to take a left at the sign that has arrows going both ways. Right takes you to another starting spot for the trail. Awesome trail we didn’t get as far as we wanted but will come back to finish it!

Just 2.25 miles out on this trail.

I love to trail run and am looking for difficult trails. The first 3 1/2 miles are fairly easy, mostly flat with a several moderate inclines. At mile 3 1/2, there's a sign that states "more difficult terrain". I couldn't run the next mile or so because of the boulders, switchbacks, etc. Made it to the abandoned dam but couldn't find signs designating the rest of the trail. I, unfortunately, had to turn back. I started around 8:30am and finished around 10:30am. I only had a Camelback of water that holds about 1L of water and I still had some water left. However, I train to not drink a lot of water due to my races the water stations are few and drinking a lot of water upsets can upset my stomach while running.

Definitely a trail with a wide variety of landscapes. Definitely some scrambling/bouldering near mile 2-4 but then follows the wash for a while after. While following the wash I missed the trail turnoff and added an extra mile to the trip. It was very hot even on a 80deg day with minimal protection from the sun. I went through 4L of water by mile 6 or so. So make sure to bring plenty of water!!!