Ford Canyon Loop Trail

Ford Canyon Loop Trail is a 9.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Waddell, Arizona that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is a tough hike! If temperatures are above 90 degrees, you will need more than 3L of water (assuming you hike it in a loop with Willow and Mesquite Canyon trails). This trail is the most interesting in the White Tanks because of its seclusion and varying scenery. You will hike through a sandy wash bottom, climb boulders, and see an old earthen dam.

Great overall trail, getting to see a variety of the park. The wash was coated with bugs and lots of rabbits.

This is a tough hike, but I would classify it as between moderate and hard because of the length. Beautiful scenery, good amount of wildlife, climbing over smooth boulders, this hike offers a constantly changing experience. Highly recommended!!

was a great hike but a sign was facing the wrong way and got us off track by 2 miles

its challenge, some turns are poorly marked.

It can be cold in the morning at the beginning of the hike in the canyon, the later part of the trial is exposed to the sun and should be avoided in the afternoon in the summer heat.

Exactly 9 miles. Took us about 41/2 hours with stopping and exploring several time.
We left on Waddell trail, took it to ford canyon , then willow trail, then to mesquite, which took us back to Waddell.
We loved some boulder climbing. We saw a couple ground squirrels, and birds. We saw a lot of what we think was bobcat poop.
Overall all a very fun trail. The obstacles at the beginning make it exciting. Some high drops- do not recommend with kids.

It’s a beautiful hike. I highly recommend hiking the north leg of the loop first. We did that and there were big boulders to climb on as the trail mostly followed a wash in that part. It was a very gradual incline that way as well. When we got to the high point of this loop, we were actually shocked at how much elevation we gained. The remaining part of the loop down was the most scenic and it was beneficial to be facing east the entire way down. The first part on the north side was very much closing you into the canyon and there weren’t a lot of views. The trail is beautiful though and it feels very unspoiled. The only hard part about it was the distance and would be hard because of the heat in the summer.

Great hike up to the dam. Not a good hot weather hike in my opinion. Expect some large boulder climbing.

Awesome hike!

We did a 9.5 mile loop from Area 7 counterclockwise via the Waddell, Ford Cyn, Willow to Mesquite. Beautiful hike with lots of variety including a little boulder scrambling and lots of vista scenery. Not as difficult as reviewed. Took us a little over 4 hours with time to take in the views.

I was a little apprehensive to do this hike because of the hazardous trail warnings printed on the park trail map and because a few reviews said it wasn't clearly marked. I'm so glad I did it anyway. It was a great hike.

I started and ended at the Trailhead Staging Area and did a counterclockwise circuit of Ford to Willow to Mesquite. That put me right at 11 miles, which I completed in about four hours - stopping to take photos a few times.

The first half of the hike is a lot of fun with lots of changing landscape. There is some scrambling in the riverbed but it's very minimal - nothing that made me even a little uncomfortable (and I scare easily). You will want to wear shoes with good traction.

From my direction, I had no trouble following the trail (and I've been known to miss some turns). Some might be concerned about the lack of trail markers during the riverbed section, but just keep following the wash - you'll see the trail markers to lead you out when it's time. I didn't have one moment of uncertainty. I felt comfortable the entire route.

The second half of the hike doesn't have the same varying scenery, but it still has some great views. It is very exposed, so take more water than you think you'll need. I packed a little more than I usually do and was wishing for more by the end. Next time I'll pack 3x my normal amount.

In total, I came across eight groups of hikers and one pair of mountain bikers - so it felt pretty secluded but not completely isolated. It was a lot of fun and I'll definitely do it again.

Awesome.

We camped in January and hiked part of the Ford Canyon Loop trail. We started out at the Ironwood trail near our campsite and went to the abandoned dam and back. About a 7 or 8 mile hike in and back out. Lots of climbing and exploring on this!

Did the Mesquite to Willow to Ford Canyon 10 mile loop. I’m in okay shape and was pretty beat on the home stretch.

After reading so many good reviews on the trail I decided to hike the Ford canyon for a quick hike. I loved the views and really had to be sure I watched where I stepped to ensure I did not trip over the rocks in the path. It was a wonderful quick hike to just before it warns you of hazardous conditions. I can not wait to tackle this trail again this week and make the full loop.

We love this trail. Me and my kids take it often, but please don't mistake; I'm an experienced hiker and I pack my youngest on my back, with a climbing pack full of supplies. This is NOT a leisurely hike...If you plan to take your kids, make sure that the WHOLE family has experience.

A very good hike with nice views. keep a close eye out for the trail markers; easy to take a wrong turn.

Great hike except for the tarantula wasps by dam.

Always a good hike

Awesome day, cloudy, a bit of rain so great. Saw 12 mule deer. a bit of scramble, 2 up and downs.

Very fun trail! I did the Ford Canyon and mesquite canyon trail (approx 13 miles). There is no shade and no water on the trail. It was 100 degrees at the end of the hike when I did it (oct 2017). I drank about 1 liter of water per hour. The majority of the trail is rocky, proper footwear is a must!

I would rate the trail as moderately difficult (3 out of 5). For comparison, I would rate Humphrey’s Peak 5/5 due to altitude, steepness, and length. Picacho Peak I would also give 5/5 for steepness. Camelback a 4/5.

On the map that was given to me at the ranger station they mention there is a “hazardous trail” around mile marker 5.25. I did not note any hazardous conditions. Perhaps the trail was moved after the map was printed.

Also, a portion of the trail goes up a river bed. If this is hiked during monsoon season or after a lot of rain it would be more difficult. There are a few spots in this section where it is easy to lose the trail.

Nice trail. Great pics of cactus of all kinds.

One of my favorite trails on the White Tanks...there are a bunch of geocache hidden all along the trail which makes for a fun extra adventure alongside of the beautiful scenery!!!

My first hike since I moved to PHX, and I would definitely do this hike again. Was expecting it to be a little more challenging though with it rated as a level hard. But a nice almost 10 mile hike none the less.

getting up to the damn took a bit but by the time I got up there it was all mystical, butterflies flying water puddles everywhere beautiful damn good place.

Love this trail for distance running. Requires good eye/foot coordination!

Great hike, a bit of climbing up and over smooth rock - good traction is a must, if you bring a dog there will be spots you'll have to help Fido climb a bit, but doable. Sun exposure high, heard a rattle off the trail and a large Gila Monster crossed the path! Park opens at 6. Great workout, fantastic views.

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Beautiful, secluded, and a great workout!:)

Saturday, April 29, 2017

Really enjoyed this moderate walk/hike. So gorgeous!