Ford Canyon Loop Trail

Ford Canyon Loop Trail is a 9.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Waddell, Arizona that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is a tough hike! If temperatures are above 90 degrees, you will need more than 3L of water (assuming you hike it in a loop with Willow and Mesquite Canyon trails). This trail is the most interesting in the White Tanks because of its seclusion and varying scenery. You will hike through a sandy wash bottom, climb boulders, and see an old earthen dam.

Awesome.

We camped in January and hiked part of the Ford Canyon Loop trail. We started out at the Ironwood trail near our campsite and went to the abandoned dam and back. About a 7 or 8 mile hike in and back out. Lots of climbing and exploring on this!

Did the Mesquite to Willow to Ford Canyon 10 mile loop. I’m in okay shape and was pretty beat on the home stretch.

After reading so many good reviews on the trail I decided to hike the Ford canyon for a quick hike. I loved the views and really had to be sure I watched where I stepped to ensure I did not trip over the rocks in the path. It was a wonderful quick hike to just before it warns you of hazardous conditions. I can not wait to tackle this trail again this week and make the full loop.

We love this trail. Me and my kids take it often, but please don't mistake; I'm an experienced hiker and I pack my youngest on my back, with a climbing pack full of supplies. This is NOT a leisurely hike...If you plan to take your kids, make sure that the WHOLE family has experience.

A very good hike with nice views. keep a close eye out for the trail markers; easy to take a wrong turn.

Great hike except for the tarantula wasps by dam.

Always a good hike

Awesome day, cloudy, a bit of rain so great. Saw 12 mule deer. a bit of scramble, 2 up and downs.

Very fun trail! I did the Ford Canyon and mesquite canyon trail (approx 13 miles). There is no shade and no water on the trail. It was 100 degrees at the end of the hike when I did it (oct 2017). I drank about 1 liter of water per hour. The majority of the trail is rocky, proper footwear is a must!

I would rate the trail as moderately difficult (3 out of 5). For comparison, I would rate Humphrey’s Peak 5/5 due to altitude, steepness, and length. Picacho Peak I would also give 5/5 for steepness. Camelback a 4/5.

On the map that was given to me at the ranger station they mention there is a “hazardous trail” around mile marker 5.25. I did not note any hazardous conditions. Perhaps the trail was moved after the map was printed.

Also, a portion of the trail goes up a river bed. If this is hiked during monsoon season or after a lot of rain it would be more difficult. There are a few spots in this section where it is easy to lose the trail.

Nice trail. Great pics of cactus of all kinds.

One of my favorite trails on the White Tanks...there are a bunch of geocache hidden all along the trail which makes for a fun extra adventure alongside of the beautiful scenery!!!

My first hike since I moved to PHX, and I would definitely do this hike again. Was expecting it to be a little more challenging though with it rated as a level hard. But a nice almost 10 mile hike none the less.

getting up to the damn took a bit but by the time I got up there it was all mystical, butterflies flying water puddles everywhere beautiful damn good place.

Love this trail for distance running. Requires good eye/foot coordination!

Great hike, a bit of climbing up and over smooth rock - good traction is a must, if you bring a dog there will be spots you'll have to help Fido climb a bit, but doable. Sun exposure high, heard a rattle off the trail and a large Gila Monster crossed the path! Park opens at 6. Great workout, fantastic views.

Beautiful, secluded, and a great workout!:)

Really enjoyed this moderate walk/hike. So gorgeous!

Bike riding, hiking , running are all great on this trail. The desert is beautiful. It is amazing to me how remote it can feel so close to such a huge city.