Flatiron Via Siphon Draw Trail

HARD 1,188 reviews

Flatiron Via Siphon Draw Trail is a 6.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Apache Junction, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until June. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Bring plenty of water with you as there is none on the trail. Blue and white markers help with navigating.

This hike is pretty difficult! If you like a challenge the view is definitely worth it! The view is mesmerizing! I would highly recommend being in shape and bring LOTS AND LOTS of water!

Wow, I know I was warned that this was hard but THIS WAS HARD! Beautiful scenery as you scramble/ boulder up 2,000 feet. Definitely worth it but not for those with a fear of heights!

Always a good and challenging hike. Didn't lose my toenails this time thanks to a more conservative shoe choice. Definitely a hard hike. It's actually relatively grueling until you get to the basin, and then basically just a lot of bouldering and climbing after that. Going down (for me) is a lot more of a pain in the ass. Take your time and enjoy the ride.

Remember the whole THREE POINTS OF CONTACT rule when making your way up and down. Utilize the tree branches/roots where possible--they are lifesavers. As always, bring plenty of water and have fun!

A trail for the adventurous! It’s true to the rating hard but worth the climb. Allow about 5 hrs start to finish and bring plenty of water

The view is amazing.

Great hike. Perfect weather and light traffic.

Fabulous hike!

This is a workout with a great view to reward you at the end. We went on a beautiful Saturday. It wasn’t crowded, but there were people there. Just about the right balance for learning the trail and not getting irritated. Things you will need: Decent knees. The way down is brutal on the knees! Plenty of water. Bring twice what you think you will need. Hiking shoes or boots. The way down is steep and a lot of loose gravel. You will struggle in tennis shoes. Some people also like to wear gloves. The last mile or so is a scramble that goes up about 2,000 feet so you will definitely be using your hands. Poles help for the way down, but aren’t a must have.

The trail starts out with a very slow incline. The trail is mostly large stones and the like until you get near the basin, so pay attention to where you step. When you reach the basin at Siphon Draw don’t get too worried about the long sloping slippery rocks you are walking on, this is the last you will see of those. When you are at the basin and your eyes scan upwards towards that pile of rocks you are going to be climbing up, it looks incredibly daunting. As an intermediate hiker with limited scrambling experience, I can say that it's not as hard as it looks going up. It's not easy, but there are only a couple of spots where you might find a bit of difficulty getting up over some of the rocks. I would suggest going on a weekend for your first time so you can watch the folks ahead of you to see how they maneuver over these spots.

The trail past Siphon Draw is not maintained and not clearly marked. Look for the white dots that look like bird poop on the rocks. They mark the trail. And as a rule of thumb when faced with two options, STAY LEFT on the way up, and RIGHT on the way down.

The last challenge on the way up is about a 10 foot wall you have to climb right before you get to the top and head out onto the Iron. There’s a tree on the left side. Most people use the thick branch to grab and pull themselves up to get a footing, then it’s quick work from there.

Once you get to the Iron you are presented with a beautiful view in all directions. Lot’s of ground squirrels up there to keep you company and ask for some spare granola. Take your time up here and get rested, eat lunch, take a nap or just chill. There’s plenty of space for everyone and you won’t feel hurried to get out of the way to let someone else see.

The way down is slow going. Don’t be afraid to get on your butt and slide or crab walk down on all fours if you aren’t sure of your footing. It’s better than falling head over heels and a lot of people do it. You will be in good company. Take your time and watch your step. Again if in doubt, look for the white dots or keep RIGHTon the way down.

It took us about 6 hours total hike time with an hour spent at the top. Plan a whole day for the hike unless you are in Olympic athlete shape. It’s well worth it! Enjoy

Lots of bouldering. Was glad I had leather gloves and poles for the way down. Awesome views on top!

I’m not sure I made it to the top- TOP... the trail was not marked that well because of that it didn’t get 5 stars in my opinion. Based on reviews on here I knew it would be rocky but once I was on it and climbing up I realized this trail wasn’t for me . I mean I’m glad I did it (or attempted to do it, who knows if where i was at was the end) but i wouldn’t do this trail again. When climbing that steep you need to have things clearly marked. The views I saw were good. The cactus was cool at the bottom and on the way up but it was hot as hell.i wish I would have gone at sunrise not noon. That was my bad. I don’t think this trail would actually be that difficult if it was clear where you are going. That’s all.

Good trail it's a work out

One heck of a hike, but loved every bit of it.

Good test of the legs. Give yourself plenty of time to enjoy it. Easy to get off trail or take the harder one. When in doubt go left. Once you’ve done it enough to avoid all the wrong trails you can begin to really challenge yourself. Quickly becoming my favorite in the area due to the variety of the terrain and the difficulty.

Hardest hike I've done in the valley thus far. Not for beginners. Beautiful views at the summit.

Awesome trail, challenging, highlight of trip so far.

Best hiking trail in Arizona! The superstitions amaze me with their beautiful formations. Haven't been to the summit yet but am trying soon. The siphon draw trail has a steady incline for all of the way up. Only good for medium to strong hikers. Bring lots of water because you will be thirsty. I have been in both the A.M and P.M and the scenery is 100% prettier in the early morning. And especially beautful on an over cast day. Definitely check this hike out. You won't regret it!

Don’t forget your gloves and good shoes !!!! Challenging hike but totally worth it , the view is amazing ❤️

Really good hike

The hike was really cool. e,or t to do some rock climbing so I suggest for you to bring gloves if you have sensitive hands.
Got to the top and the view was amazing. No words to describe.
On the way down it began to rain... now the difficulty went from hard to dangerous. If you ever get to experience rain on your way down be ready to slip... the rocks become very slippery. my hiking shoes where no help. I slipped down the slope for about 20 feet. Lots of water was running down because of the rain. Either way, I enjoyed everything and I wouldn't change anything. Love it!

Definitely a strenuous hike/climb. Was dead by the time we got back to flat land. haha

Take plenty of time, water, and an occasional snack. Remember to wear and bring necessary clothing, always layer up and layer down, watch your footing, look up, down, and all around, be communicative to, and for others, and practice great LEAVE NO TRACE!