Flatiron via Siphon Draw Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(4031)
Lost Dutchman State Park

Flatiron via Siphon Draw Trail is a 5.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Apache Junction, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from September until June. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.5 miles Elevation Gain: 2,641 feet Route Type: Out & Back

fee

Note: The upper portion of the trail has several trail changes due to recent rock slides. Use caution. Park Entrance Fee: Week days - $7.00 Per Vehicle (1-4 Adults); Weekends - $10/vehicle $3.00 Individual/Bicycle Bring plenty of water with you as there is none on the trail. Wear sturdy shoes with grip. Blue and white markers help with navigating. Much of this trail is scramble/rock climbing, so it may not be the best trail for your dog. In recent years there have been several rock slides, and the upper part of the trail has been altered extensively. Please follow signs.

Drove out there just to find out that the trail is closed due to fire. Not sure when it will be open again.

fee

This is a beautiful trail with amazing views from the top! However, as a semi-regular hiker, long distance runner, and military member I will tell you this hike was HARD! About half of it felt like rock climbing, and make sure you bring LOTS of water and some snacks because this will take you a while. Overall I really enjoyed this hike, but would probably only do it 1-2 times a year due to its difficulty. (Sidenote: I did this on a 116-degree on May 29 2020, but started at 0500am. I would suggest maybe even going earlier because although you are in shade almost the whole time, the way back can get a little toasty on your back!)

Awesome hike.

We started at 7am and finished around 1 pm. We took a lot of breaks and went slow because I’m pregnant. According to our watches it was more than 6 miles - it definitely felt like it went on forever at some points, but overall it was a really fun and pretty hike. It’s definitely easy to lose your footing in multiple places on the way down, so wear good shoes with traction. We were pretty shaded on the way up, but it was full sun and in the high 90s all the way down. We brought about 70 ounces of water per person and ran out toward the end. We saw a couple rattlesnakes, so just be careful where you place your hands when grabbing rocks to climb up. If you’re prepared and ready for a fun challenge, then definitely do this hike!

Went for time!! I'm 51 and an everyday AZ hiker. 1:15 to the top from the trailhead took one 2min break on the way up and several long pauses. Lungs and heart racing got me over legs. 1:35 total up from Flying Dutchman parking lot. Did not start until 9:20am cuz of work call-so was pretty hot on fri may 22nd. Hardest hike in AZ behind R2R2R, R2R and Humphries! Be ready, start early. Drank 1.5 L water total, but im a camel in the desert.

Ok so I wasn’t prepared at all for this hike!! It was HARD!!!!! Yup I got sick not once but 3x!! Lol. But I didn’t quit I made it to the top and I’m so glad I did!!! The views are so amazing!! So this is what ya need! Good shoes are a must! Bring lots and lots of water!!!! Mistake I will never make again!!! also maybe don’t go hung over!! Great workout!! Happy hiking!!!

Like 2 camelbacks with a super pretty view. My favorite hike near Phoenix.

Great great trail. It was tough, but the view was well worth it. After the initial 2 miles or so it gets really really hard and the last 1.5 miles takes about 2 hours. Got off trail accidentally several times—it’s easy to do, trail isn’t particularly clear. Bring more water than you think you’ll ever possibly need. The last mile is STEEP and the rocks are LOOSE. Overall, very difficult hike, but getting to the top of that massive flat iron is a great reward and you can see the city from one of its highest points (?) clearly.

My fav hike in the phoenix area! Lots of comments about dogs. I am an everyday hiker with my 10 year old weim. we have completed this hike to the top together 3 times. Your dog needs to be an experienced hiking dog! You need to have control of your dog, mine follows commands like stop, easy-to slow down and wait. I have to help her on many of the boulders and the 12 foot rock wall is a real challenge for us up and down. Sometimes i have had people assist me with hand over hand harness lifting. you can ascend that wall better with your dog by staying left. Know your and your dogs abilities! Also go early in the heat seson. We hike this very fast and can get away with out and back before heat is a problem! Also maintain complete control of your dog at the top as there are fun to chase ground squirls and you do not want them going over the edge!

First hike moving to AZ from CO. Tough!

This hike was by far the hardest hike I’ve ever done. It took 2 hours and 20 mins from the parking lot to the top. Amazing views during the whole hike. Beautiful and peaceful at the top. Bring plenty of water, snacks and maybe even some gloves because theirs a lot of climbing rocks.

This is by far the hardest I hike I have ever done. This last time was particularly difficult because I miscalculated and hike up to a saddle point (insanely vegetated) from where you can see the flatiron but never get there without hiking back down and then up again. Which I did. If this is considered 'hard', then pretty much all other hikes in phoenix should be classified as a 'joke'. If not, then this should be considered 'Extraordinarily Haaaard'. It isnt the physical aspect only, it is also being able to not go the wrong direction which is so easy to do. Amazing hike.

I have seen better sites in the Superstitions but this trail can be a challenge and in return is so rewarding. Be careful near the top as it is not clearly marked and can be extremely steep (last time I was up there, there was nobody else on the trail and it was very easy for me to lose the trail near the top of the mountain). I would only recommend to experienced hikers, and I’m going to keep my opinion that this hike is not for any pets or small children.

God dang this shiz was HARD. It is doable, but you will for sure question your very existence. Reminder for this trek: completion is success! Being able to complete it is a huge accomplishment itself. Go do it. Build ur character. Eat some tacos after. And I promise you will appreciate life more after experiencing this. Keep grinding kiddos! For more info/pics/vids of this hike visit @harris_hikers on IG

This is a beautiful trail; however, the label is correct - it is hard/moderate. I would say if you’re a beginner, it’s more challenging. I hike often and felt it was moderate; meanwhile, my friend (who is new to hiking) really struggled. The climb up is a consistent incline, watch coming down. I lost gripping a few times on the hike down.

This is a great trail! It is a steep climb right from the get go.I started at dawn,this let me avoid hiking in the sun until 3/4 of the way back to my car. It doesn’t have any switchbacks. At a couple of points you are climbing up 10-12 ft walls.I loved it!