Flatiron Via Siphon Draw Trail

HARD 1,433 reviews

Flatiron Via Siphon Draw Trail is a 6.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Apache Junction, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until June. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Bring plenty of water with you as there is none on the trail. Blue and white markers help with navigating.

1 hour ago

This is the toughest hike I've had in the phoenix area. This hike really begins about a mile in on the path - so you have a good stretch to get warmed up and look at what is about to kick your tail. And kick my tail it did! once up to Siphon it gets harder. Lots of rock climbing, got lost off the trial a few times but met up with a great group and we took the rest together.

The second half of this trail is difficult with lots of rock climbing but I never felt like it was dangerous. Once on top the view is amazing. The hike down was a different story. Really had t take my time in some spots as it was pretty vertical and my legs were gassed.

For me this hike was a great test of your physical and mental status as a budding hiker. Couple of times I just wanted it to end - and I saw people turn back so close to the top - but I made it. Definitely not a trail for dogs on the other side of Siphon.

Will do this again for sure. Favorite hike to date. Dad-bod and sneakers on this one with 3L of h2o and made it alright in 4 hours with break at top. I went out early and sun didn't get me until half the way back down. Can't imagine doing this in the heat of day.

Can't give it 5 stars as there were places where the trail just wasn't marked other than that no complaints on this challenging trek. Ended up going an extra half mile out of the way.

This was a challenge for sure! Tough hike, lots of boulder jumping and outright climbing. The very last climb before you reach the summit trail is sketchy. The way down isn’t too much easier.

The view is very worth it, though. Can see across the city and a nice overheard of the superstitions.

was a great hike.. started at 11am weather wasn't to bad to handle once you get to the top it was much cooler and windy. wore the wrong shoes to hike but didn't have any issues. the view from the top was amazing. following the dots after Jacobs crossing it doesn't say if you're at basin or started hiking up to flatline. there was some climbing that had to be done which was fun! Took is about 2.5 hrs to get up there and about 2 hrs to get down.

Great hike. Beautiful views. Lots of technical parts of the trail. Follow the markings (blue/white dots) and take your time. The view at the top is worth every moment!

Took 2.5 hours up and 2 hours on the way down.

Be prepared for this difficult hike. Lot's of spots to slip or take a misstep as there is a lot of boulder hopping. Leave early and bring 3L of water plus an extra bottle. We ended up handing out our extra bottles of water to some hikers heading up as we were heading down because they didn't have enough... Hike took us 2.5 hrs up and 1.5 hrs down. Left at 6:15am. Well worth it as the views are epic but this is a difficult hike.

I was not prepared for this one. I thought I was well hydrated and had enough water with me, but I think I was dehydrated from the get go and that made the hike pretty difficult for me. Ended up pretty lightheaded and lost my balance a few times. A lot of the rocks you have to traverse are either loose or covered in sand. Definitely only for experienced hikers and bring twice as much water as you think you could possibly need. Normally even on a hard hike I want to do it again sometime, but I think once was enough for this one!

Really gorgeous and absolutely astounding once you make it to the top, but this is one hard hike!!! My legs were giving out on me by the time we made it back down.

Did this yesterday I can say bring at least 5 liters of water I was quite challenging but well worth it. That time it follow the trail markers as it is easy to get off trail. Plan on a long day started at 0630 finished 1430 as I am just a beginner

Started at 5am yesterday Friday 5/11 and it was everything and more than described. A lot of scrambling and grueling both up and down. I saw only 6 people the entire hike. The view at the summit was worth every bruise, scrape and turned ankle.

Best hike so far for this year! Camped out on top of flat iron. Incredible sunset views across the valley. Fun scrambled, loose rocks and lots of laughs.

Did this one yesterday. Left early (started the hike at 0520 to avoid the heat. Already warm, quickly into the mid 70s on the ascent. Have good shoes with knobby tread, my trail runners are done after this one (descent delaminated the sole on one). Hydrate!!! It's no joke. I'm 45, 5'10", and 200lbs. Went through 96oz easily, with another 16oz chug at the car. Lost 6 lbs on this. Ascent was 2:30 with tons of small breaks. 30 min rest on Flatiron, and 90 minutes down, including a 15 min stop at Siphon. Way up is a pace yourself, steady as it goes, take small breaks, lower body punisher. Way down is much faster, but far more upper body, and increase in falling/stumbling risk. I could not believe how many people I saw coming up in full sun, 9/930am or later, with little gear and very little water. Be safe and be smart. This is not a good hike to be dehydrated on. Plan it out and be prepared, and you'll be fine.

Wow, hard hike. Maybe harder coming down with tired legs than going up. Gonna be sore tomorrow!

Very difficult, especially near the top, but worth the effort. Bring lots of water.

definitely hard but worth the view!

This is a great hike but make sure you are not hiking when it is getting hot- bring lots of water. I always see a few tarantulas hiding under rocks

An easy hike if you are able to put one foot in front of the other. Got to the top and bottom in an hour and a half. We left at 5am and it was already too hot! Avoid doing between the months of January - December. Almost got lost but found myself at the summit #wanderlust

A difficult hike but the view from the top is worth it, don't stop at the flat iron keep going to the peak. If you don't like scrambling then this is not the hike for you, but if you do it's awesome and you should go do it already!

Tough hike! Started at 6.30am and was done by 9.50am before it go too hot. Would recommend it to anyone up for a challenge!

One of the most challenging hikes I've done but also one of the most rewarding. The view from the top is gorgeous and overlooks everything. It's definitely a hike to start early to avoid the sun, because it's a long long hike up. Think Camelback on steroids and 3 times longer.
It took us 4-5 hours round trip spending a good hour on top enjoying lunch. Would absolutely do again.

Beautiful but very difficult hike. I went with my friend and it took us five hours and a half to complete. Bring lots of water and snacks, and take a break if needed. Going back down the trail is hard on the knees and shins.

Great hike! Be careful, it's easy to get off the trail.

This is what hiking is, I suggest everyone to hike. one should experience the thrill. one of the toughest one I hiked.
very very tough.But worth hiking.

Great hike. Turns into quite the scramble near the top! Bring LOTS of water. Finished in 2.5 hours.

A great hike. Need to carry lots of water and snacks. Amazing views.

rock climbing

Brutal 1,000m up. Start early (as in 7am) because it gets really hot. This is a climb, not a hike because you basically rock scramble and rock climb 2/3 of the path.

I hiked the siphon draw trail to the basin this morning, for the first time. I am 69, have a pacemaker, and am insulin dependent. This is a tough trail but beautiful. Take your time. Bring plenty of water (I took 5 bottles, fruit, and peanuts.). I took lots of breaks. I left the parking lot at 6am and arrived in the basin at 8am
Steep hike but good, safe trails except for last few yards. I met lots of friendly people. (I like to go when there are people around—safety and will help you if you have an injury). I plan to go back and take a few more breaks. I took my hiking stick. Probably not next time but plan to bring some gloves to help me over some of the rocks. And oh yeah, there were lots if hummingbirds not far from the basin.

This hike did not disappoint; it delivered the challenge plus some. View from the top was breathtaking as was much of the ascent. Stay to the left when given a choice. Definitely a hike I will do again next time we are in Phoenix.

Now that I have been done with the hike for a day I can say it was pretty amazing. Great views and it does give you a great feeling of accomplishment. Very difficult hike even for someone who considers herself experienced so be sure you just finish because you may not want to try it again. We talked with several people on the way up and down. Lots of first timers like us. Best tip, wear good hiking shoes or boots. There is lots of scrambling and slipping on rocks and loose gravel. We saw lots with running shoes and regular tennis shoes. Also take lots of water. We went through almost two gallons. When you finish you might never want to hike again but sleep on it and you will be over that thought.

what an amazing hike! Great testimate of skill and willpower to make it to the top of the flatiron to be memorized by the view.

Tips to the hiker:
- hike early. The mountain gives a good shadow to hike in if you’re out there early.
- bring lots of water and snacks.
-take a friend (or at least have someone know you’re out there).
- gloves are handy for the way down as you climb down the rocks.
- hiking shoes are way better than running shoes

I consider myself to be pretty fit and an adventurous hiker... but this was a tough hike!! I loved it, but it challenged me more than almost any hike I’ve done. I saw multiple people who had turned around before the top because the terrain was rough. Lots of scaling up rocks and trying to keep balance on some loose gravel. Amazing hike, but be prepared to work! I did it in 4 hours (minus the 30 minutes I spent at the top).