Finger Rock Canyon Trail

Finger Rock Canyon Trail is a 8.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Oro Valley, Arizona that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from October until March. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Trailhead to Middle vista Out and back

Awesome introduction (for me) to the incredible geological and floral landscape of the Catalinas. I'd highly recommend doing this along with Pima Canyon. Park a car in both places or get a Lyft or whatever. Perfect weather in the dead of winter. Can't imagine it being safe on a hot day.

A tough hike, but the views are incredible!!!

One of my favorites! It's tough but the views and scenery don't get much better!

Really great. It's tough though, so be prepared!

Did this back in April '17. Started around 5:30 AM and finished by noon with a break at the summit. Much shade to the top, had 1 or 2 issues going off course but second was my fault as I went off exploring (never a good idea). Not too brutal going up but going down was a different story. Extremely hard on the knees and the ground was dry but slippery. Had to make sure footing was perfect every step which was a nuisance. I slipped on the way down and cut myself fairly bad. I took a couple stumbles leading to almost sliding off some steep cliffs. Very hot and no shade on the way down. Overall, very scenic and challenging. Bring at least 3L water, I ran out the last 1 mile which was brutal! Start early! I saw several families beginning the hike as I finished close to noon. Also, watch where you park! I came back post-
hike and a cactus had fallen by my car, have a gold ball sized dent! Could've been much worse!

Absolutely stunning. We did the easy 5-7R pitch to the top. The "skateboard rock" was pretty cool too. I'm 58, so this trail in my mid twenties would have taking me half the time. Because of this we left the trailhead at 5 am, and got back at 6 pm. So 13 hours all in, lunch, rest breaks, etc... Pretty brutal approach lol. Take lots of pictures!!! Enjoy

A strenuous trail that is hard on the knees when coming down. There is slippery granite at a few points. Steady elevation gain. Keep following the path at the Mt. Kimball sign to the end for amazing views of the Oro Valley and surrounding ranges. Start early and pack enough water. On our way down, we saw quite a few locals walking in, probably to watch the sunset.

great hike to Mt. Kimball. strenuous but never too steep a grade. Lots of variety.

Great Hike. Very strenuous. Have hiked plenty but this one kicked my butt and the trail is not for the faint of heart as there are plenty of areas that follow the edge of the mountain. Lots of scrambling over jagged rocks. I wouldn't even think of wearing runners. My feet couldn't take it. Stopped a lot for breaks and didn't quite make it to the summit (total 5-6 hours). Did take an alternate path at about 3.1M that led to a great view of the city and called that good. Did not see anyone past the two mile markers. Next time i'll start earlier than 8 and come down Pima Canyon trail. Also, though there was full sun toward the top, the elevation gain minimized the temperature. Got hot again as you descended the trail. Just about stepped on a small snake. Other than that, no four-legged wildlife. Saw several folks hiking with no water or pack. Who does that and why? Tried the record option on all-trails. It completely drained my battery. Glad I brought a portable charger.

Quiet- Beautiful- Serene

I know this trail pretty well since I've hiked it to Mt. Kimball over 1600 times in the last 37 yrs in the course of a phenological study. The trail is accessed from Tucson, not Oro Valley and CANNOT be used for horses beyond the first mile. (The Forest Service has done improvements on the first 1.5 miles to permit access for mules carrying herbicides to fight the invasive buffelgrass. The trail actually goes to Ventana Canyon, but I have been told by numerous hikers that the trail beyond the junction with Pima Canyon Trail (which you take up to Mt. Kimball) is very difficult to follow.

The trail does not go to the Finger Rock formation, although there is a wildcat spur that takes you there--this is prohibited from Jan 1-Apr 30 since it is not a legal trail.

SPENDING THE NIGHT in the canyon, there are two regulations you should be aware of. Over night parking permits can only be obtained online and require dates and car information, processing is about two days, so plan to reserve your permits accordingly.
Link http://webcms.pima.gov/cms/one.aspx?portalId=169&pageId=26888

Also, group limit is 6 persons. There is only one safe spot to set up camp on the trail within the first 4 miles. that spot will only accommodate about 8 people. You will not be able to camp on the trail. it is well used even in early morning, and there are steep drop offs just at the trails edge.

Fantastic view of the city at night. Its even better in the early morning.
BYO Firewood- when permitted.

Shade in the early AM

Fabulous trail! Challenging and scenic. The trail is in the shade in the morning which staved off the heat until later. We started this him at 6am and spent most of the at up in the shade. About half as much on the way down.

I'm a newbie having only hiked 4 times in a month and this was very challenging for me. But dang that scenery. Only did 1.6 miles. That massive chasm with those huge boulders all collected at the bottom, man.

Spent 4.5 hours hiking. Wanted to hike to the end of finger rock trail but my hiking partner's knees were taking some abuse. We left at 8 am and the hike in was mostly shaded by the high ridges on our right. As you near the top the trail narrows and it gets thick with trees and shrubs. It was very windy and cool for much of the hike. Coming down the trail can definitely be hard on the knees. Great hike and hope to do it again soon and hike the entire trail. We've seen a Gila monster and a mountain goat in our last two hikes. As you hike in further it gets less busy. Of course bring water!

By far the hardest hike, not so bad going up, coming down was the hard part!!

We hiked two hours up to the saddle, it was an aggressive hike but worth it. The views are gorgeous. We were told by other hikers we were about an hour and a half from the trail end. It is a beautiful hike and moderately populated with people.

Difficult to make it to Mt. Kimball and I'm in decent shape, especially when it's warm but the views are stunning.

Quite challenging and drop dead beautiful. A good bit of the hike is more like elementary rock climbing. Be sure to check out the Linda Vista spur after you round the bend about 3 miles up. Trail T's and the spur is to the right. Giant vista facing south about 200 yards.