Finger Rock Canyon Trail

Finger Rock Canyon Trail is a 8.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Oro Valley, Arizona that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is rated as difficult offers a number of activity options. Horses are also able to use this trail.

52 minutes ago

Did this back in April '17. Started around 5:30 AM and finished by noon with a break at the summit. Much shade to the top, had 1 or 2 issues going off course but second was my fault as I went off exploring (never a good idea). Not too brutal going up but going down was a different story. Extremely hard on the knees and the ground was dry but slippery. Had to make sure footing was perfect every step which was a nuisance. I slipped on the way down and cut myself fairly bad. I took a couple stumbles leading to almost sliding off some steep cliffs. Very hot and no shade on the way down. Overall, very scenic and challenging. Bring at least 3L water, I ran out the last 1 mile which was brutal! Start early! I saw several families beginning the hike as I finished close to noon. Also, watch where you park! I came back post-
hike and a cactus had fallen by my car, have a gold ball sized dent! Could've been much worse!

Absolutely stunning. We did the easy 5-7R pitch to the top. The "skateboard rock" was pretty cool too. I'm 58, so this trail in my mid twenties would have taking me half the time. Because of this we left the trailhead at 5 am, and got back at 6 pm. So 13 hours all in, lunch, rest breaks, etc... Pretty brutal approach lol. Take lots of pictures!!! Enjoy

A strenuous trail that is hard on the knees when coming down. There is slippery granite at a few points. Steady elevation gain. Keep following the path at the Mt. Kimball sign to the end for amazing views of the Oro Valley and surrounding ranges. Start early and pack enough water. On our way down, we saw quite a few locals walking in, probably to watch the sunset.

great hike to Mt. Kimball. strenuous but never too steep a grade. Lots of variety.

Great Hike. Very strenuous. Have hiked plenty but this one kicked my butt and the trail is not for the faint of heart as there are plenty of areas that follow the edge of the mountain. Lots of scrambling over jagged rocks. I wouldn't even think of wearing runners. My feet couldn't take it. Stopped a lot for breaks and didn't quite make it to the summit (total 5-6 hours). Did take an alternate path at about 3.1M that led to a great view of the city and called that good. Did not see anyone past the two mile markers. Next time i'll start earlier than 8 and come down Pima Canyon trail. Also, though there was full sun toward the top, the elevation gain minimized the temperature. Got hot again as you descended the trail. Just about stepped on a small snake. Other than that, no four-legged wildlife. Saw several folks hiking with no water or pack. Who does that and why? Tried the record option on all-trails. It completely drained my battery. Glad I brought a portable charger.

Quiet- Beautiful- Serene

I know this trail pretty well since I've hiked it to Mt. Kimball over 1600 times in the last 37 yrs in the course of a phenological study. The trail is accessed from Tucson, not Oro Valley and CANNOT be used for horses beyond the first mile. (The Forest Service has done improvements on the first 1.5 miles to permit access for mules carrying herbicides to fight the invasive buffelgrass. The trail actually goes to Ventana Canyon, but I have been told by numerous hikers that the trail beyond the junction with Pima Canyon Trail (which you take up to Mt. Kimball) is very difficult to follow.

The trail does not go to the Finger Rock formation, although there is a wildcat spur that takes you there--this is prohibited from Jan 1-Apr 30 since it is not a legal trail.