Finger Rock Canyon To Mount Kimbal To Pima Canyon

Finger Rock Canyon To Mount Kimbal To Pima Canyon is a 10.2 mile point-to-point trail located near Tucson, Arizona and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from September until May.

Point to Point

Rugged hike with incredible mountain vistas. This point to point hike combines the two most popular "must see" hikes in the Catalinas. From breathtaking canyon vistas, to mountain top views of both Tucson and Oro Valley your camera is sure to get almost as good a workout as you, but beware, all these photo opportunities come at a price, this hike is not for the faint at heart. Finger Rock alone is known as one of the most demanding short hikes in the area, in the time it takes to drink most of your water, and bring as much as possible, you'll have gained upwards of 4500 ft in elevation. Near the summit of the canyon take the "Right turn" when the trail splits, head towards the summit of Mount Kimball. Once at the summit you're at your half way point. The remaining downhill portion will take you through Pima Canyon, providing you with reason to smile as you explain to all the half day hikers where you started from. Plan to leave as early as possible, and don't forget that camera.

I’ve been hiking the Catalina Mts since I was 5 years old. This has always been one of my favorite hikes. We started out at 5:30 am and came down at 4pm, taking our time and with my partner being a geologist, spent plenty of time looking at different rocks. Today was probably not the most opportune time to do this hike– with temperatures hitting mid 90’s by 11 am, we were getting burnt and dehydrated. That being said, the hike itself was well worth it. Perhaps we would have been back sooner if the stretch from the summit of Kimball to the drop into Pima was better marked. We lost the trail quite a few times, sucking up a lot of time out of our journey. All in all, a great day and a feel good hike with the calorie burn and the amazing views. Bring more water than you think you’ll need. You’ll use it.

Really pretty but rough on the joints. Amazing views.

September 24th 6:00am - I arrived at the Finger Rock trailhead with a gallon of water, a liter of gatorade, two Slim Jims (the Giant size, of course), a Clif Bar, a box of Extra Toasty Cheez-Its and fear in my heart. I contemplated what I was doing - Do I really want to hike 10 miles? - then quickly told myself that I NEEDED to hike it (to prove something - not sure what). I started my hike and enjoyed the first little bit (nice weather, good scenery) with the light accompanying soundtrack of Pink Floyd's 'Wish You Were Here' album whispering through the earbud in my left ear (the right one was left out! - good pun, man!) I also decided that I was gonna 'Record' the climb on my All Trails app (not a good idea). The gradual climb soon began to get pretty steep as I found myself traveling deeper into the valley. I'd like to take a moment to explain that I'm not an 'avid hiker' and can confidently say that I haven't gone on more than 3 hikes in the last couple of years. I'd say I'm in decent shape, but my girlfriend told me the night before, "You can't run 1 mile, why do you think you can hike 10?" I also do not have any high-tech gear or hiking boots - I wore a pair of Nike Free Runs - they're grey, I think you'd like them. Anyways, before I get back to the hike, I want to make it clear that I saw a total of 8 people during my hike (one of them being my crying girlfriend - we'll get to that soon). So, I saw my 1st fellow hiker while I was still pretty low - We said hello as he gawked at some birds in his binoculars. I ran into him later up the mountain, but he didn't seem like he wanted to be friend. The views continued to be great as the mountain continued to get steeper. Dust and cacti soon became moist soil and tall green grass, which then became pine trees and such. But before I got too much into the pine trees, I ran into a group of three young whipper-snappers similar in age to me. I was taking a break and eating some Cheez-It's when they came up from behind and we exchanged some small talk. They explained they had never hiked this trail either and that they were planning to hike to the top and back down. I explained that the hike was 'pretty steep' (which meant, VERY STEEP) and that I was planning to hike up and then down Pima Canyon. We debated where and how the two trails connected, as they seemed very far (they were). They went up ahead of me and I chugged some water before moving on. Did I mention that all I had for breakfast was a medium sized banana? At this point, my music wasn't on and I was only recording my hike, but I noticed my battery on my phone had dropped to about 65%. Continuing to hike, I went deeper into the crevice of the two mountains, and when the trail split up to Mt. Kimball, I kept going. In hindsight (like 15 minutes after passing it), I realized I should have stopped to check out the views. I saw my three friends over on the flat portion of Mt. Kimball as I kept on cruising. At this point, there were some pretty cool rocks (they were really big too - like bigger than Dwayne Johnson) and I found myself secluded in the nook of the mountain with plenty of shade and tree cover. It was actually surprisingly not steep here either (which is weird because 97% of the trail is steep). This area was really cool - you're like transported into a different place completely - does not feel like AZ. By this time, my phone was at like 45% and I decided that it was not worth wasting battery to record my hike (Why was I even recording it? So dumb) When I got past all that goodness, I stopped for another refuel break and the lingering three hikers passed me again. I told them that the hike was kicking my butt. They said they'd meet me at the top (we were close, but not THAT close - this trail NEVER ends). By this time, I had already doubted myself multiple times, but another quick pep talk got me back on my feet again. I hiked and hiked and finally I reached the top! Hallelujah! It was just about 10:30 am. Yeah, it took me THAT long. I took a turn off to the left and climbed on top of a big BIG rock (this was quite dangerous and I was probably not suited to do this. Anyways, I got up and it was time for lunch - Clif Bar and Cheez-It's!!! This was definitely the most enjoyable part of the hike. I saw five blue birds flying around (I assumed they were Blue Jays but who knows? Maybe that bird watcher guy from earlier. Which reminds me, I saw two other hikers at this point. They were both going down. One guy was cheating with his ski poles and then there was a lady who was basically running down. So if you're keeping track, that's 6 people total so far) and I literally said "Whoa!" out loud when they flew by. I also got to witness a raven and a hawk chasing each other for a few minutes. They were two different species, but they were friends. At this moment I felt at peace. I took a few pictures and had a quick phone call with my girlfriend. I saw the 3 hikers going back down as I sat high upon the r

Really enjoyed this hike. Climbed up Finger Rock and down Pima. Took me 5:48 total time. Had no trouble route finding on the way up but did have some trouble staying on the trail going down Pima at the top, especially around the saddle. Had to back track about 25m a few times. Watch for the cairns left by others to help with staying on course. Trail isn't too well travelled at the top. Would like to do it again and go back out on Finger Rock to see how that goes, steeper but much shorter. Started late at 9:00 and took lots of water. An earlier start would probably offer some shade on the climb.

great views. 9 hours

Epic. Took me 7 hours. 4 hrs to pima saddle from finger rock trailhead, then 3 hours down to pima canyon trailhead. Would be a good challenge to try the other direction, might be harder - the pima cyn trail gets really steep at the end. It's easy to lose track of the trail when it turns to a big rock slab at one point; if you do, just follow the wash and the trail will eventually cross it.

This is the toughest hike in the Tucson area so don't attempt it if you're not in shape! Amazing views though. Well worth it.

Thursday, October 20, 2016

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Great hike, although the path was hard to find this time of year. The way down through Pima canyon seems to find no end, the last part is especially hard since it is going to be early afternoon if you started early (6am or so).
It took me almost 3 hours up to Mt. Kimball, then - even subtracting all breaks - it was at least that time to get down through Pima canyon. I had to backtrack twice to get the right trail.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Amazing Hike. I spent eight hours on the trail and was rewarded with over 4,000 feet in vertical gain and breathtaking views.

Hints for a pleasurable Hike:

Bring lots of water. I would recommend at least a gallon per person

Sunday, February 07, 2016

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Sunday, January 03, 2016

Sunday, January 03, 2016

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Beautiful weather and worth all the hard work on the way up... long trip down Pima Canyon. Beer was tres bien at the end