Esperero Canyon Trail

Esperero Canyon Trail is a 12.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tucson, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and bird watching and is best used from September until May.

Distance: 12.5 miles Elevation Gain: 3,940 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This trail starts in the Sabino Canyon Recreation Area - which does not allow dogs.

A little over grown about 3 miles in...no water this time...only did half...still hot out...but great views of Tucson

private property

I really enjoyed the trail but I hoped for more shade. Started at 5:30 am in August and saw full sun by 7. Phoneline stays shaded longer so if it's really hot, go there. Excellent trail but not when the day's high is 105. No regrets.

Great trail. Lots of ups and downs but the views when you gain elevation makes it all worth it. As an FYI - be mindful of the elements- I started out at 7AM and by 10AM it was already uncomfortably hot. Once I drank half of my water I headed back down.

good workout, lots of birds and flowers.

Great hike, truly enjoyed. The hike is certainly a challenging one, but we'll worth the effort and time.

great gem of a trail, especially after all the snow! tough but good trail!

You have to get on the trail early to beat the crowd this time of year, esp. when there has been plentiful rain. That's what I did this weekend - the view and sounds at Cardiac Gap were pretty dramatic. Should be more of the same for the next couple of weeks at least. Thanks for the shortcut from overflow parking. Next time!

Enjoyed this hike today.

This is a new short cut trail to Esperero-Cardiac Trail. Directions to Trailhead : Park at Sabino Canyon Overflow parking lot. Note: Unmarked Esperero Trailhead begins just left of Rescue Building. Headup wash about 20-30 mins to find NEW link (Lotsa cairns) shortcut to Esperero-Cardiac (bypasses the mine) Another 30 mins link trail takes you to Esperero-Cardiac main Trail.

Nice hike for a change of pace. The trail turned into hopping/walking on rocks. I turned around due to water, wearing trail runners.

The brittle bush blossoms are gorgeous this year along the trail

Challenging hike

Monday, October 01, 2018

We like to do the beginning of this trail (the first 2 miles)with our little girl. It is beautiful, some good climbing for her but not to hard or dangerous. We go as far as we can with her and then head back. We stop and investigate and look for critters, admire true beautiful scenery, and have a great time. I plan to hike the whole trail once she’s off to school:). But for families, this is a great hike at the beginning. After you walk the 0.8 to get to the main trailhead, you pass by a bathroom and picnic area. I call the walk to the picnic area the boring part. Once you get past that, the kids will enjoy the hike as it becomes a bit rocky and starting to ascend and climb a bit.

Saturday, May 12, 2018

Aptly named. Pick a cool day, or what passes for cool in Tucson.

Sunday, March 04, 2018

A nice climb to a great view and then another climb I have not completed yet. Pretty exposed but the temps up at the first big ridgeline cool off nicely. Can have some nice flowers in the spring.

Saturday, January 06, 2018

This is my favorite trail so far in Tucson. Nice trail, beautiful scenery, and in general a reasonable incline, not too steep. I made it about 2hrs in so far, up to the top of the ridge. I'm planning on doing Mt. Kimball from Pima Canyon and then come down either Finger Rock or this trail to finish. Should be epic !

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Very surprising trail a lot of fun. Challenging at times and enjoyable as well. Would do it again. We got to the top of the basin area. Next time we will go further were there are streams etc...

Saturday, March 18, 2017

Awesome hike,, my second hike and loving it.. views were espectacular!!

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Man, we did this trail today and it was hot! 98.

Thursday, May 26, 2016

always a beautiful and strenuous hike!!

Tuesday, January 05, 2016

A good hike with incline climbing during the first part of the trail. I haven't done the whole trail. About 4 miles in trail becomes overgrown and can be hard to follow

Thursday, November 19, 2015

A good hike with some great views. Did not do the entire trail. Hiked in for about two hours from the Sabino Recreation area and got to the top of the canyon. A couple of waterfalls on the back side of the canyon. Scenic and peaceful on the top.

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Another favorite hike. I do not usually go that far. I hike two hours out, which puts me over the cardiac switchback and around the basin, but not as far as the map shows.

Friday, October 11, 2013

The trail is very well traveled at the beginning. However, after a few switchbacks the vegetation changes and you will find yourself crossing a riverbed a few times. At this point the trail is often overgrown, but just keep heading out and you'll get to the end.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

This is a good hike...you have to work in places but overall, it isn't too strenuous. The views, flowers, and animals are amazing. We kept it short today, as we got a late start and the temperature was approaching 90. We will be back a bit earlier in the day.