Elephant Mountain Trail

Elephant Mountain Trail is a 6.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Cave Creek, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Awesome!

A terrific trail, challenging, but not tricky. Wear hiking shoes (not running shoes) and bring lots of water.

There is some confusion about the restricted area. You can't go up to the Hohokum fort because of the danger, but you certainly can keep going on the descent part of the trail so you do the full loop as the map here shows.

Did this today. The Trail had much potential till I got to a point where it said area closed. It seemed like so should go up but instead I ventured past about a mile and felt like I was going the wrong way. I headed back and started to go back up the trail that said area closed and there were fresh footprints and a definite trail but my husband was worried about venturing further so I turned around and headed back out the way I came in. Does anyone know if that trail is closed off? Does it go up and then loop back down? Or should I have kept going on the mile past it? It just seemed like that trail was heading farther away from the return point. It looked like it went for miles

Good early morning hike.

Nice hike great views all the way and need to see the ancient ruins of a fort at the top. Got an early start and only came across a few others toward the end including a few mountain bikers. No dogs

Forgot to rate this when I went back in NovemberDecember of 2016. I went on a weekday and it was stormy (and even rained) so I never saw another person out on the trail. It was just me and my 9 year old Australian Shepherd. I love this trail for lots of reasons...

1) The views are GORGEOUS!!
2) The length was perfect
3) It's far enough away from the city that you really feel like you're in the deep wilderness.
4) It's not a heavily trafficked trail, and it's too treacherous for mountain bikes, so it's just hikers (no offense Mountain bikers )
5). You have to pay attention and be on the lookout for Carins to find your way out of the wash (so it is challenging).
6) It's a great workout!!

P.S...I guess I did rate this back in 2016, as I just found my rating. I forgot to mention...this trail is better navigated with hiking boots rather than running shoes. You'll need the traction and stability that boots offer.

Nice views. It's full of scenery. You get a lot of tuna's (Cactus Opuntia fruits) enway.

Straightforward and scenic trail. take plenty of water ( I took 3 litres) and some protein sources. watch out for Rattlers.