Elden Lookout Trail

Elden Lookout Trail is a 5.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Flagstaff, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Flagstaff: Follow Santa Fe Avenue past the entrance to the Flagstaff Mall and the Peaks Ranger District Office to a trailhead parking lot just off the north side of the street.

Easy trail to a nice view.

Some elevation gain will be difficult for people.

We started too late in the day but it was a beautiful hike! Both boys (9 & 12) did great!

Harder than I expected ... but a great workout! A little weird that there is not only a lookout, but a bunch of cell towers up top too. The views are great though ... especially of the San Francisco Peaks and Sunset Crater.

Windy. Great mod +/- home. Brought my two 10y/o and they had no problems.

The day we went wind gusts were up to 40mph. The views were beautiful. The elevation may cause some difficulty. The trail is very hard. Lots of rocky climbs and many stairs. 3 hours up and 2 hours back. All in all we did enjoy it because hiking is what we do but it was a difficult rating.

This is what I call a ball buster! It's a climb. And even after the switchbacks when you think it's over, it brings on more climbing. I summited in 1:30 with a pretty steady pace.

The trail is hard packed dirt and clear to follow. There a few turn offs because this hike is in a multi-trail system. A key sign runs PARALLEL to the trail (which is my only complaint about AZ hiking). So you have to be on the lookout or you may just breeze right on by your turn to the summit.

If you love running back down and launching off of rocks, this is your dream trail. I warn you that it is steep. So I opted to not do this, unfortunately. But I really wanted to...

Nice hike! It's a good climb, just be careful going down!

great hike! trail is maintained but is exposed to sun for quite a long time..the views along the way are really beautiful!

It was my first time & I expected it to be a bit easy but it was all up hill. I was sore for days but the view was so worth it!