Echo Canyon Trail

Echo Canyon Trail is a 3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near San Simon, Arizona that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round.

Rock solid. Do this loop along with the entire larger loop and stops if you can. Well worth it.

Heard most people prefer to hike the loop counter-clockwise so we did so. We took lots of photos and almost 3 hours to come back to the parking lot. A park ranger told me this is the most popular trail in Chricahua National Monument.

out of this world amazing

Coming from Phoenix, this was a nice change in scenery for us hike wise. It definitely lived up to its name and was truly a “Wonderland of Rocks.”

Very fun hike, nice and easy, good for folks that might not be necessarily super accustomed to hiking. Great scenery!

beautiful trail. easy to hike and great views of the monument.

Great scenery, fun grottoes, easy to do with kids.

Fun quick trail for a trail run. Perfect weather in early January for a comfortable hike or jog. There were some other hikers on the trail, but overall not too busy. This park is beautifully untouched and easy to navigate.

Great hike in a special area

Incredible to walk among the rock formations. Did the Loop counterclockwise. The first part was very scenic on the decent which was great for photos. Having the slight accent at the end was a good choice. Would be beautiful in the spring with water running.

Nice hike. Awesome geology. Quite a bit of past burn evidence. Didn't see anyone else on the trail on a Wednesday evening.

I would not call it easy but more moderately difficult, especially on a hot day. We saw Coatimundi, and lizards on the trail. Saw bear and turkeys on the road out. Great hike for the occasional hiker!

Unique sightseeing. Starts really easy and gets only a little strenuous. Went in mid July and it was a nice hike even at 92 degrees.

This trail is absolutely stunning!!! We hiked this with our five kids, ages 12,9,8,6,4. We went clockwise. The gravel on the trail was very loose and slippery for the kids and a good portion was only a foot and a half wide with a cliff side drop off on one of the edges. We have hiked with the kids all across the country, and our littlest can hike 7 miles himself. With that said, this trail was terrifying to me with my children. The loose gravel in combination with the narrow trail was stressful beyond belief. We did all make it, and will go back to the park, but we will not do that trail with the kids again.

Wednesday, April 05, 2017

A little windy today but beautiful scenery the entire way. We stared on the grotto side and ended with the gradual climb. Will definitely come back to this park!!

Saturday, March 18, 2017

Our group of 5 hiked the trail counterclockwise in March. The grotto area was spectacular and the views all along the hike were breathtaking. I would call it a moderate hike for us 60+, occasional hikers. We were glad we had poles and plenty of water.

Wednesday, March 01, 2017

Beautiful scenery

Friday, October 28, 2016

very nice hike through rock formations, great views.

Friday, February 19, 2016

The road up to the parking lot was under construction the day we hiked, so we started at the visitor centre lot, went up the Rhyolite trail to connect with the loop, and ended up with a 12 km (7.5 mile) hike. The Rhyolite section is easy, and the connector takes you through a pleasant forested section with dry creek beds kids would love.

The loop itself offers lots of variety, and is easy to moderate. The highlight is absolutely the Echo Canyon section, so take your time through here and explore. The views where this section meets with the Hailstone Trail are superb, especially on a brilliant February day. We went clockwise which makes the climb a little steeper but not an issue for most hikers. It was not busy at all, but then the road closure may have helped.

Friday, November 13, 2015

This is a moderate hike with some interesting rock formations on the way. Have taken the grandchildren to the grottoes and they loved it. On our own we have hiked the whole trail. I loved the Wall Street area and the views are spectacular

Monday, October 26, 2015

I love this trail! And if you have time and energy left, it's definitely worth the extra mileage to take the side trail Mushroom Rock to Inspiration Point.

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Hiked Echo Canyon Trail on Saturday the 19th of September with my wife and daughter. This trail is the most scenic I have been on to date with it's amazing rock formations among tall pines and flowering plants. It's at the end of the Arizona monsoon season and there is a spectacular array of colors with the wildflowers still in full bloom. Definitely hike this trail counter clockwise where you start encountering the very cool rock formations. It is also the steepest part of the trail so your going down as opposed to climbing it at the end of the hike. I would rate this trail as a moderate hike taking the average person in decent shape around two hours. Be sure and take a camera so many great photo opportunities.

Tuesday, August 04, 2015

Favorite trail in the area. The rock formations were awesome! Loved the portion called "The Grotto" and walked up into it for a neat photo. Not much shade on the trail but wasn't that bad in the August heat.

Sunday, October 05, 2014

Alright. I didn't realize I was in the park. Go up a bit--it gets better.

Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Did a counter clockwise Echo Canyon loop (Echo Canyon trail, Hailstone, Ed Riggs) The first part was certainly the highlight of the hike. You get to walk amongst the formations and have some great picture opportunities. Most of the hike is down hill with some elevation gain when you circle back to Ed Riggs. The fire burned parts of the trail, esp Echo Park and Ed Riggs. Great area to explore. 2hrs, started at 6:30am in May and didn’t see a single person.

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

3.3 miles roundtrip actually. Easy hike.

Friday, November 23, 2012

I liked this trail, very neat rock formations. If you are not good with elevation the other reveiw is correct to go counterclockwise from the parking lot. First half of the trail is awsome but second half is a veiw of rocks across the valley.
will go back to see more of these trails, bueatiful scenery

Sunday, November 18, 2012

I hiked this trail on a day that started off cloudy, and about 58 degrees F. I took the suggestion from the NPS website and hiked counter clockwise fromt he Echo Canyon parking lot. I was pleasantly surprised as the density of the woods and the stark beauty of the recent forest fire. I did this hike in conjunction with the Upper Rhyolite Canyon, the Sarah Deming, the Big Balanced Rock, the Mushroom Rock, and the Ed Riggs Trails. While not as colorful as some of the other "desert" hikes I have walked, the the fluorescent green of the lichens on rocks, the fairytale shaped rocks, the contrast of "into the piney wood" and completely exposed on top of a mountain all within a few hours, made for a very good surprise of a hike. I came across only 5 other people in the 3.5 hours.