East Verde River Trail

East Verde River Trail is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Payson, Arizona that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

canoeing

fly fishing

Although this trail might be scenic at some time, as of August 15, 2017, there is no way to know without what I would call extreme hiking. Apparently the significant amount of rain that has visited the area recently has almost completely obliterated the trail. After several hundred yards from the parking lot, the trail becomes nothing more than mud holes and a vague suggestion of a trail. The trail is unmarked, and not maintained. As a result, unless you want to slosh through a lot of mud and standing water alongside the actual river bed, I would wait at least a few weeks, if not a couple months, before trying this trail.

Although one star might be harsh for the trail as we did not get very far, and the scenery we did see was very nice, I did not know what else to rate it under the circumstances. Perhaps "incomplete" would be better at this time.

Friday, May 20, 2016

Pretty area, interesting rocks, cliffs and bluffs. Lost the trail soon after starting. When we finally found one, the area is so heavily trafficked and not maintained, trails cross-cross all over the place between the plethora of campsites...or rather, party sites. So much trash all over the place! Also toilet paper everywhere we thought to "explore." Animals dig up buried poop and TP for the rest of us to enjoy because they love what we eat. Keeping a small ziploc baggie in a pocket is an easy way to pack out used TP.

Monday, May 16, 2016

Wednesday, April 06, 2016

Monday, April 04, 2016

This was a great camping spot, but I assumed this was more of a hiking trail when this was really more of a drive and camp trail. Still had a great time and the river and waterhole view was amazing.

Sunday, March 27, 2016

Sunday, March 27, 2016

geocaching
Monday, June 22, 2015

Great Sunday drive! A few 'loose Rock' areas requiring some all wheel drive action, and certainly not traversable without some clearance (stock Grand Cherokee with TrailHawk package).

Saturday, June 28, 2014

The views are spectacular, and the trail is great. Great opportunties to swim and camp here. I camp all the time up here, it is my go to spot! Great way to beat the PHX heat!

Friday, July 01, 2011

One of my favorites because there are awesome swimming holes. Great for backpacking or just a day hike, car camoing is also an option. There are also some indian ruins if you hike back awhile.