Dutchmans Loop Trail

Dutchmans Loop Trail is a 8.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Gold Canyon, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, birding, and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This trail is absolutely stunning! I couldn't stop looking around in awe. There are a few things that I would caution future hikers about: going counter clockwise, you start on Dutchman's but then after you cross a creek and see a sign for trail 235 (bluff springs?), you take that left, don't continue on Dutchman's.

Also both my my and my husband's phones read 12 miles when we finished (12.5 if you count our wrong turn) and going at a moderate pace it took 6.5 hours. Even on a relatively cool day (90 degrees as the high) with a steady breeze, we still ran out of water with about 20 minutes left, even after rationing while we hiked. We only saw one other couple the ENTIRE route, so getting hurt or running out of water would be very dangerous.

All that to say, as rough as we felt when we finished (we're used to 1-3 hour hikes) we still want to go again in the fall. It seriously was one of the most beautiful hikes!

loved! hoping this stays a secret, not many ppl on the trail. A little hard to navigate and long but worth it if you're looking to get away from all the noise of civilization =)

I highly recommend this loop. We started at 6 am in mid April and the temperatures were perfect. I ran the loop in shorts and my new balance street running shoes. After reading other reviews i chose to go counter clockwise and upon reaching the last half mile or so i am glad i did. It would have been very difficult to climb that last section and them finish the loop i think. Overall the trail was easy to follow, well designated, interspersed with technical and non technical sections, most of which was non technical. I run trails in the Houston TX area so take that to heart. I was able to finish this loop in about an hour and 45 minutes with and average pace of 11 min/mile. I run a lot, but nothing like this. The scenery was breathtaking and moving. Get there at sun up, start early, stop to take in the view from time to time, and enjoy a moderate technical trail with some great sections to fly through. I clocked the loop, counter clockwise, at 9.4 miles on my apple watch.

Although this area is a bit far for me, I love exploring these trails whenever I can. Driving in, there is a long stretch of dirt that can get a bit rocky and then you eventually reach the parking lot. I usually try and get there before 8 or 9 and am able to snag a spot but when I leave it is typically packed. We started this hike going counter clockwise and I didn't personally think it was very tough although I could see it being a bit more challenging going clockwise. The views were really pretty especially during the last half where you got to see a ton of red/purple rocks in a canyon. The trail was easy to follow and we didn't have a hard time staying on track. It took us about 3.5 hours to finish and we were moving at a pretty average walking pace with a 20 minute break halfway through.

Black Mesa part was a bit rocky. Glad forest service told us to go counterclockwise on 104.

This is a rough hike and should be rated as hard. It's beautiful but you definitely feel it the next day.

So hot. Pretty tough. Worth it.

This is a hard trail no matter what the rating is. Rough trail with large loose rocks to overcome pretty much the whole trail. You also have to watch for rattlesnakes, which we encountered 2 on the trail. We went in early august so pretty hot. There were multiple natural water sources while we were there. Make sure you bring your gps or map because trail is not well marked and the trail signs are not stable in some places so weather could have moved them.

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

GPS tracked 10.5 miles not 8.9 miles. We traveled clockwise on the loop and almost missed the turn to the right were 235 turns into 104. Trail was fun and challenging but make sure to bring extra water as its a little longer than expected.

Monday, May 08, 2017

Wednesday, October 05, 2016

My GPS tracked this as a 10.4 mile trail. I loved the hike but it's def. one for cooler months. Some of the trails was overgrown. Bring plenty of water, there isn't much shade. The last mile was the best for me. Will def. be back!

Sunday, January 04, 2015

Made this hike (or portions of it) on January 2nd after it had snowed. We left at dark (Peralta trail) and made Fremont saddle by sunrise, with the snow and sunrise and Peralta canyon made for an amazing view and moment... on one side the sunrise and on the other side weavers needle. We hiked down towards the needle in 4 inches of snow.

The Dutchman loop was spectacular but long. We did it in 1 day at it took all of it... from an hour before sunrise to sunset. I would recommended taking 2 days so you don't have to average 3 miles per hour on your hiking and can actually enjoy the views.

Amazing country, fantastic trails.

Wednesday, November 06, 2013

Nice day

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

You cannot help but wonder about the legends of the trails in this area. I felt goose bumps from thinking about all the legends born from this area. Looking at Weavers Needle, and walking through the Cholla Forest you cannot help but wonder who was the nitwit that decided to bring wagons through this rouged land. The Wild West vs Indians and the awesome history. Hard to believe your feet stepping on historical paths that created legends. The Peralta trail system offers so much. Highly suggest going in a group and enjoy an awe inspiring night hike. The super clear night sky the sound of nature all around you... the howling scared me more than the wild bore that crossed our path. This is a must do trail system... bucket list this trail for night time during summer. Do keep track of the weather, because monsoons suck, and the sand storms are worse, but they ad to the adventure and experience if you get stuck in one. So you need to know your survival skills just in case.