Learn more

Dutchman Trail #104 and Cavalry Trail #239 Loop [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(53)
Superstition Wilderness
;

Dutchman Trail #104 and Cavalry Trail #239 Loop [CLOSED] is a 17.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Roosevelt, Arizona that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and backpacking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length 17.7 mi Elevation gain 1,879 ft Route type Loop

Closed

No shade

Description
Waypoints (0)

Closed as of July 2. Wildfires have burned more than 224,500 acres and there is ongoing, extreme fire danger due to dry conditions and hot temperatures. Start at the First Water trailhead. The trailhead has ample parking but is heavily used so get there early. The Charlebols spring is a reliable water source during certain parts of the year. This route takes the Dutchmans trail, avoiding Bull Pass. You get great views of weaver's needle for most of this portion if the Dutchman trail. This portion of the trail is fairly easy with no major steep portions.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (53)
Photos (1190)
Recordings (39)
Completed (72)
Bruce Fey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jun 07 2020
Hiking

Great trail. Easy hike. Arrived at trailhead at 7am. Only saw three other people on trail but about 40 lizards. Definitely got the feeling of being out in the wilderness alone. Many cool rock formations. Creek was dry obviously. Would get a higher rating if the water were flowing.

Kelley Kilby
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Apr 18 2020
BackpackingBugsNo shadeOver grownRocky
View Kelley's Recording
Julia Carlson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Apr 02 2020
HikingRocky

Backpacked in, super easy trail. Camped over night up in the rocks. Beautiful views of the stars and weavers needle. All kinds of desert flowers.

Jordan Thomas
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Mar 28 2020
Hiking

Amazing hike. It was SO cool to see all of the water! The incline at the end of second day was treacherous but we survived. Due to COVID-19 we had to park 3 miles away which put a strain on our limited water supply.

View Jordan's Recording
Dale Rugge
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Mar 19 2020
HikingFloodedMuddy

3/19/20 - We hiked part way in from Dutchman trailhead then onto Dutchman trail #104. The streams were roaring with water, there were many babbling brooks and rivulets running from the inch or more of rain overnight. After spending way too much time and effort looking for dry places to cross, we just starting walking through the streams, deciding to worry about drying out later. We had a blast, and have never seen so much running water in the canyons and draws!! See Photos

View Dale's Recording
Lauren Elizabeth
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu Jan 30 2020
Backpacking

This was our first backpacking hike and it was great. We hiked in 9 miles on Dutchman and camped there. Went back on Dutchman less than a mile and hopped on to Calvary trail to go the 9 miles back and round out the loop. The weather was perfect. 70 during the day and 45 at night. Plenty of water and camp sites. Sometimes you can start heading off on the wrong trail or lose the trail. Just look out for the trail markings. It’s also great to use AllTrails downloaded map because if you get off the trail, GPS shows how to get back. Even though you have no signal! The weirdest part of this whole trip was the abandoned campsite on Dutchman. The entire site is eerie. Rusted cans, empty backpack, torn sleeping bag, broken chair among other items. It looks like it was someone’s site 15 years ago and they left everything. I’m surprised it hasn’t been mentioned here before. Very interesting to see!

Samantha Vandermeade
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jan 06 2020
Hiking

Hiked early Jan 2020, after a rainy autumn. Was a little mucky, but nothing me and my 3 dogs couldn’t handle in hiking boots. Went counterclockwise as recommended by past hikers and was rewarded for it. Hiked in approximately 6 miles and then turned around—we were just in the mood for a day trip. Good place to off-leash well trained dogs—only lightly to moderately populated on a Monday.

Austin Wright
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Dec 02 2019
Backpacking

Used this as second leg of 5 day trek. Camped at Chariebois. Short of First water trailhead and then at the cross trail of Dutchman and Black Mesa. Got 10 hours of rain and snow. Creek crossing would have been tough without crocs. Stunning vistas and crazy beautiful landscapes. Lots of camping options in Boulder Canyon as well.

Alejandro Vidales
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMon May 20 2019
HikingBugsOver grownRocky

Took my girlsfriend and I 6 hours, counter clockwise . There are a lot of flys the whole trail loop. We did it counter clockwise. On the way back, there are a lot of bushes and I had shorts, so make sure you bring something to protect your legs against them. Also, have some gaiters because the dry plants are going to be pocking your ancle and you are going to stop to remove them. Bring enough water (camelbak) and consider drinking in small portions because my girlfriend finished her water and we had to share mine. Right at the end I had no more water. River crossing was ok as it did not have water, however, sometimes we decided go through the river because we couldnt find the trail or the trail was such a small portion with a lot bushes. But for the most part, we found the cairns. Now with animals, we saw a something like a konodo dragon on the bigining flat part, a snake while I was driving to the parking lot, and a snake skin on the second half, and flys, many flys.

Giuseppe Alessio Verni
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Apr 21 2019
HikingNo shade
View Giuseppe's Recording
Misty Waid
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Apr 13 2019

Hiked Dutchman trail #104 in early March. This trail was highly recommended by 2 friends so decided to try it. This is now one of my favorites. We didn't go too far because we started around 4pm. Lots of creek crossings. stunning scenery.

Trent Thorarinson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Apr 12 2019

we did this trail yesterday. temp was decent in the 70's. saw lots of critters. very scenic,beautiful trail. the creeks were still wet but no problem getting thru without getting wet. took us about 4.5 hours to do the whole loop. I am back home in Canada now, we spent 2 full days hiking this area and haven't done enough. We will be back

Jessica Villarreal
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Apr 06 2019
HikingNo shadeRocky
View Jessica's Recording
Hannah H.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Apr 06 2019
Hiking

Take the trail counterclockwise, clockwise has some really steep areas that are better done in reverse. Nice camping areas on the river and bugs weren’t bad.

View Hannah's Recording
Travis Burch
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Mar 15 2019
Backpacking

My girlfriend, her dog, and I did this loop counter-clockwise. We started at the First Water Trailhead and hiked roughly 8.5 miles along Dutchman Trail (104) until we camped near Charlebois springs. Pretty amazing views and because of recent rain water was abundant and wildflowers were blooming. There were plenty of campsites in the area and had no trouble finding one. Took us 4.5 hours to get from the trailhead to camp. Day 2 we double back on Dutchman trail (104) towards Cavalry trail (239) and headed north on Cavalry trail for the entire 3.2 miles. where it met with the Boulder Canyon trail (103) . There were many many stream crossing during this portion and we hiked with wet feet for the better part of the day. A few of the stream crossings were tricky to find the trail, but for the most part they were well marked with cairns. We took Boulder Canyon trail for 1.5 miles to the Second water trail (236) and hiked for 3.3 miles, until it met back up with Dutchman trail (104). All in all the day was about 9.3 miles and took us roughly 5.5 hours There was plenty of water to refill water bottles with during stream crossings and the temperature was in the low 70's during most the day.

Danielle Becktel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Mar 10 2019
Backpacking

This is my favorite trail in Arizona thus far. It is an easy to follow loop with only a few challenging inclines. Because the ground is level in most places, we had our pick of camp sites. We ended up setting up camp about half way through, in a valley between two beautiful mountains. The views are absolutely breathtaking, and I would highly recommend completing the full loop. We completed this trail in the winter, so it was perfect temperature for the hike. But with relatively little shade along the trail, I could see where it would be more challenging in the summer heat. There weren’t many sources of water along the trail, but we were able to purify some water from a stream along the way. I highly, highly recommend this hike!

Jonathan Barrett
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Dec 06 2018
Backpacking

Great easy to follow loop. This was my first trip into the Superstition Wilderness as well as my first solo trip. After a very dry winter water was a little scarce before I made it into La Barge Canyon. Great views of Battleship Mountain and Malpais Mountain. Camped near Charlebois Spring which was full. Took about 3 hours to get there from the trail head. Took Bull Pass Trail on the way out. The views of the interior and of La Barge Canyon and Weavers Needle were spectacular and worth the extra bit of elevation on the way out.

benjamin scheel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Nov 20 2018
Backpacking

fun trail. long but not exceedingly difficult. water is not year around.

Chris Newkirk
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu Jun 07 2018

Done this 2x now as a backpacking practice run for the Grand Canyon. Honestly, if you’re not backpacking and not doing it in the heat of the day - I’d imagine it would be pretty easy. The river/rock crossings are kinda cool the first time you do them - but they get pretty old. Essentially no sun protection. Very little/super sketchy water holes. But only a very few inclines. You can go hours and hours without seeing anyone here. A good practice run for folks who are trying to get their distances up. But, nothing to write home about.

Larry Linquata
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Aug 19 2017
Backpacking

I've completed this loop twice counter clock wise once and in March and May 2017 and would have to say the best way to go ending in the easiest/prettiest part of the trail. I've completed the AT 2016 and lots of trails in Arizona. Dessert backpacking is hard regardless and you have to be smart! That said I've packed 6lts first time no need maybe this time of year. I would say the hardest part of this trail is about mile 8 or 10 when you hit a dry river bed. I couldn't find the trail that route scout had so I found a trail that was marked with stacked stones on the right hand side going up the hill. This part of the trail is over grown with hidden cacti in bushes (Voice Over: “Then it felt like something just jumped up and bit me.”) to the shins. It was some of the coolest valley views all the way to coffee flats. Fyi no were to camp till you hit the stream 3 or 4 miles after the river bed. Distance from the spring before that is 7 to 8 miles if you want a good water source but you can find water puddles along the way. All along coffee flats you can find come good camping the the spring if you look.

May Ehmke
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Apr 18 2017
Backpacking

This is our first backpacking overnight trip and I do agree with the Moderate rating. Views are fantastic! We actually ended up completing a figure 8 loop trail so this review does not include Calvary Trail and Boulder Canyon. We parked at First Water TH > Dutchman Trail > Bull Pass (should have read the previous review, because it is difficult due to elevation gain so I recommend not taking this trail unless of course you prefer a challenge :) > camped east of White Rock Springs > Back on Dutchman Trail > Black Mesa Trail > Second Water. We did carry all of our water but there were a couple spot which we could have filtered (we also checked water report on fs.usda.gov but being out backpacking first time we didn't want to risk). We completed this backpacking in April. Also saw two gila monsters near White Rock Spring area!

Che Andres
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Mar 30 2017
Backpacking

This was a really great trail that is a combination of portions of the Second Water, Boulder Canyon, Calvary, and Lost Dutchman trails. I went counterclockwise on the trail and I really enjoyed the Second Water and Boulder Canyon trails. The Calvary Trail portion was a little difficult because you are going up the canyon and I was doing that portion by the middle of the day. Instead of taking Lost Dutchman's Trail all the way through on the bottom portion, I actually did take Bull Pass which was difficult because it is a steeper downhill hike. I ended up sleeping at the foot of Palomino mountain. It was a beautiful night to compliment a beautiful day. Plenty of stream crossing where you can fill up (if you have a water filter) and if you get tired/injured there are a few shorter trails you can take. There was a ranger at the beginning (Ryan) and he was very kind (I got to the parking lot early, get there early or you will have to park somewhere else). You will occasionally see another person on the trail, especially as you get within 3 miles of the parking lot as it seems to be a popular place to hike. I went in March so the weather was great, but I can see it getting hotter in the summer and the springs being less dependable.

Rogelio Santoya
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri May 22 2020
View Rogelio's Recording