Dutchman and Bluff Springs Loop

Dutchman and Bluff Springs Loop is a 8.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Gold Canyon, Arizona that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from October until March. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

This trail starts at the Peralta Trailhead on the south side of the Superstition Wilderness.

The first thing to figure out with this trail is if you want a big up or big down. If you go clockwise you will get the big up first. If you go counterclockwise you get the big down last thing before you get back to your car.

The rest of this trail is really gradual and most of it is very easy going. I was even thinking this could be one of the better trails for trail running out there.

The flora and fauna for much of the route is in within riparian areas and is incredibly diverse. More than all that, this trail is absolutely beautiful from start to finish. This would be perfect for someone who has been building up endurance for a longer hike, but doesn't need 2000'+ elevation gains.

This trail is absolutely stunning! I couldn't stop looking around in awe. There are a few things that I would caution future hikers about: going counter clockwise, you start on Dutchman's but then after you cross a creek and see a sign for trail 235 (bluff springs?), you take that left, don't continue on Dutchman's.

Also both my my and my husband's phones read 12 miles when we finished (12.5 if you count our wrong turn) and going at a moderate pace it took 6.5 hours. Even on a relatively cool day (90 degrees as the high) with a steady breeze, we still ran out of water with about 20 minutes left, even after rationing while we hiked. We only saw one other couple the ENTIRE route, so getting hurt or running out of water would be very dangerous.

All that to say, as rough as we felt when we finished (we're used to 1-3 hour hikes) we still want to go again in the fall. It seriously was one of the most beautiful hikes!

loved! hoping this stays a secret, not many ppl on the trail. A little hard to navigate and long but worth it if you're looking to get away from all the noise of civilization =)

I highly recommend this loop. We started at 6 am in mid April and the temperatures were perfect. I ran the loop in shorts and my new balance street running shoes. After reading other reviews i chose to go counter clockwise and upon reaching the last half mile or so i am glad i did. It would have been very difficult to climb that last section and them finish the loop i think. Overall the trail was easy to follow, well designated, interspersed with technical and non technical sections, most of which was non technical. I run trails in the Houston TX area so take that to heart. I was able to finish this loop in about an hour and 45 minutes with and average pace of 11 min/mile. I run a lot, but nothing like this. The scenery was breathtaking and moving. Get there at sun up, start early, stop to take in the view from time to time, and enjoy a moderate technical trail with some great sections to fly through. I clocked the loop, counter clockwise, at 9.4 miles on my apple watch.

Beautiful hike. Low traffic. Not difficult. Is a must do.

Although this area is a bit far for me, I love exploring these trails whenever I can. Driving in, there is a long stretch of dirt that can get a bit rocky and then you eventually reach the parking lot. I usually try and get there before 8 or 9 and am able to snag a spot but when I leave it is typically packed. We started this hike going counter clockwise and I didn't personally think it was very tough although I could see it being a bit more challenging going clockwise. The views were really pretty especially during the last half where you got to see a ton of red/purple rocks in a canyon. The trail was easy to follow and we didn't have a hard time staying on track. It took us about 3.5 hours to finish and we were moving at a pretty average walking pace with a 20 minute break halfway through.

Black Mesa part was a bit rocky. Glad forest service told us to go counterclockwise on 104.

Quiet , low traffic , and pretty

Wow! What a great hike. Incredible scenery, the quintessential Superstitions experience. We talked to the park rangers before hand to clarify details about signs. If you are doing the loop - just stay left. When you get into the canyon look for the rocks the rangers placed as markers and you won't miss the trail. We went clockwise to avoid climbing up cardiac hill - the loose gravel and rocks were a bit annoying at the end of the trek but all in all this was a stunning 9.6 mile journey.

This is a rough hike and should be rated as hard. It's beautiful but you definitely feel it the next day.

Easy hike, the length is what will make it moderate. We went towards the 104 trail and ended by going through the 235 trail. The views are incredible throughout the hike. The 4.5 mike point at the peak of the hike is a great place to stop for lunch and enjoy the endless desert views.

This was a great trail. Great views of the superstition mountains, and pockets of water on the bottom of the trail near the creek bed. There are several nice campsites that we pass along the way. I brought about 3L of water and ran out at the end. We started at the Bluff Springs Loop trail, and looped around to the Dutchman trail. There are 2 turns
that are easy to miss, we had the alltrails map up so we found our way back. Hiked about 10.5 miles overall. Nice Challenge.

So hot. Pretty tough. Worth it.

Monday, August 07, 2017

This is a hard trail no matter what the rating is. Rough trail with large loose rocks to overcome pretty much the whole trail. You also have to watch for rattlesnakes, which we encountered 2 on the trail. We went in early august so pretty hot. There were multiple natural water sources while we were there. Make sure you bring your gps or map because trail is not well marked and the trail signs are not stable in some places so weather could have moved them.

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

GPS tracked 10.5 miles not 8.9 miles. We traveled clockwise on the loop and almost missed the turn to the right were 235 turns into 104. Trail was fun and challenging but make sure to bring extra water as its a little longer than expected.

Friday, May 26, 2017

I am an avid hiker and I'm not a fan of this trail at all. We ended up hiking 13.5 miles, since we missed a turn off due to poor signage. So we ended up hiking a few more miles than the 8.9 we were expecting. There were great views as we started out to the left but then not much after that. It's not a tough trail just very boring and with not much to look at. If you're looking for a long nature walk this is the perfect trail for you!

Monday, May 08, 2017

Sunday, April 16, 2017

I was out of shape, however, it wasn't too hard to complete. I'll definitely come back again.

Monday, March 27, 2017

Approximate time:
~ 90 minutes going up
~ 60 minutes coming down

This was one of the best hikes I have ever been to. Within the first minute into your hike, the ascend begins! Once on the top, it plateaus and the gorgeous view continues on both sides of your hike. The view of the valley on your right with Miner's Needle is amazing.

Friday, March 24, 2017

many beautiful flowers

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

great trail and easy to follow! challenging yet rewarding hike!

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Beautiful and challenging!

Thursday, December 22, 2016

Enjoyable hike! We'd recommend going clockwise--you start with a steep incline, have a rewarding view at the top, and go through a very steady decline for the rest of the loop. Needed more water--3L should be good for the winter months. Wish we'd caught some water in the washes--it would've made the hike perfect! Only "meh" was how stale the trail gets in the last few miles. We clocked in at around 9-10 miles.

Friday, November 25, 2016

Nice diversity in terrain throughout the hike. Didn't bring quite enough water (2L + 32 oz bottle). We went clockwise, which we'd advise--you start off with a moderate climb, and then it's easygoing from there.

Thursday, November 17, 2016

Great hike. Scenic and great distance!

Thursday, November 17, 2016

Awesome!

Wednesday, November 09, 2016

amazing views, ended up making it a 11.95 mile loop. small water pools after the rain. awesome day hike for sure. only saw two other people this day on the trail.

Wednesday, October 05, 2016

My GPS tracked this as a 10.4 mile trail. I loved the hike but it's def. one for cooler months. Some of the trails was overgrown. Bring plenty of water, there isn't much shade. The last mile was the best for me. Will def. be back!

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Classic Superstitions.....outstanding.

Friday, December 04, 2015

Great hike, excellent Sonoran desert and desert mountain views. It should not be rated as easy though. It has around 1,000 feet of elevation change, and some very rough/rocky parts of the trail. We recorded it on 2 different devices. As is said in other reviews, it is longer than listed; being between 9 and 10 miles.