Dripping Springs via Dripping Springs and Hermit Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(55)
Grand Canyon National Park

Dripping Springs via Dripping Springs and Hermit Trail is a 9.7 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Grand Canyon, Arizona that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 9.7 km Elevation Gain: 651 m Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from South Entrance Station: Drive northward on South Entrance Drive to the East Rim Drive/West Rim Drive junction. Bear left on to West Rim Drive and follow it 8 miles, through Grand Canyon Village, to Hermits Rest. The West Rim Drive is open to private vehicles from October through March. At all other times a free shuttle takes visitors to Hermits Rest. The Hermit trail leads southwestward from Hermits Rest. Follow it one and a half miles to the Dripping Springs Trail.

A little icy in two sections coming down the canyon, still passable without crampons

Did this trail last Saturday and was so amazed by how few people there were on trail. Definitely a tough trail but worth it for the views and to get away from the masses.

Serious stair master climb back to Hermit's at the end. Be sure to save water and energy. Dripping Springs is not an Ooh Ahh moment but rather an Ah Ha one. Pleasant destination and unlike the rest of the Canyon trails, infrequently hiked. on our way out, we came within 5 yards of a large Bighorn sheep who was also using the trail. Impressive and beautiful.

Nice hike but I would suggest leaving early in the morning as with any Grand Canyon hike. We were at the trailhead at 4:30 in the morning and because of the position of the mesa we avoided the sun until the last 30 minutes of hiking out of the canyon.

Sample an initial segment of this challenging trail.

Spectacular hike and challenge. Very few fellow hikers even on a June weekend. Rugged trail with great views. Be careful at the end of the trail as it gets really narrow, and is right on the edge of a 1,000ft drop. Very dangerous.

Fri Apr 19 2019

Great trail if you want something scenic, a bit challenging, and more secluded than Bright Angel or South Kaibab. Rocks can be a little slippery and slow-going at times. My husband and I are in mid 50s and decent shape and I found this to be a serous workout! Wild flowers in mid April are pretty. Definitely a different look than other places we saw in the canyon. We did in 5 hours with almost no lingering.

Great easy trail with some of the best views at the junction.

Tue Mar 19 2019

Less crowded than the south kaibab/bright angel. This is a nice area! Trail is harder to follow, but still very well mainteained

Tue Mar 19 2019

Sun Dec 23 2018

cant imagine doing this in the dead of summer. we went during december and enjoyed the cooler air and shade from the rims. didnt get all the way to dripping spring, turned around near where the trail splits for dripping spring and Boucher. nice views from the canyon at the bottom. heart pumping hike on the way up

Wed Oct 10 2018

This trail is really beautiful but it wouldn’t be my first trail to recommend if you only have a couple days in the canyon and want wide open views of the canyon. This trail is great if you’ve seen the most common trails and want something a little different. Fairly easy with most elevation gain on your way back out. The only shade is around dripping springs and that’s the only source of water as well. If you don’t have anything to sterilize the water you need to pack enough for yourself.

Mon Sep 17 2018

3rd week in September seemed to be the perfect time for our first trip to the Grand Canyon and this trail. 9am start was not too hot (we live in Vegas though and are used to the heat) and passed only 3 other groups. Less exposed than I anticipated but the most difficult section coming back up was nearly all exposed. Husband and I almost finished our entire 100oz water reservoirs. Would definitely recommend to anyone who is used to the heat, dryness and are fit. We found this trail to be difficult, but satisfying.

Thu May 31 2018

Great trail to really push yourself on because it pushes back. Love that it's narrower, rougher, tougher, and more intimate than Bright Angel.

Sun Apr 29 2018

Hiked this in April 2016 and it was my 3rd time to the springs. Along the way there are some spectacular views down the ravines. Once at the springs, I decided to do a loop by continuing on the trail and exit back to the south rim via Eremita Mesa. This will bring you out to the jeep access roads which you can follow back to the shuttle bus stop at the Abyss. Total distance for this loop was 11.3 miles. The last several were a bit tedious as it's mostly flat-ish and view-less walking on the forest service roads. Be forwarned that there are no signs marking your directions or progress mileage after passing Dripping Springs, so you'll need to be aware of your directions on the return if you plan to hike back to Hermit Road this way.

Wed Apr 18 2018

The most beautiful hike I've ever been on.

Fri Apr 13 2018

Nice hike. Took us 2 hours there and 3 back including a break for lunch at dripping springs. Nice views throughout and not many other people. Ran into a few on the trail. The springs is not spectacular, but it’s interesting.

Sun Oct 22 2017

Fantastic!

Wed Oct 18 2017

I thought this trail was tougher than Bright Angel or South Kaibab as well as a knee killer. Beautiful views and solitude on the trail.

Wed Sep 06 2017

Simply awesome!

Wed Jul 05 2017

A great hike. Wife and I did this hike in September and the temperatures were not too bad. Switchbacks near the rim were the most challenging part of the hike. Once you reach the dripping springs, there is a nice shady area for lunch. Not much shade on this hike, so bring enough water.

Thu Mar 03 2016

Nice hike very rocky

Wed Jul 29 2015

Moderate to difficult hike because of the steep switchbacks scaling the canyon wall. After the initial descent into the canyon, the hike is mostly easy with minimal inclines until the return trip up. There are a few narrow/slippery sections but they're short. I would recommend hiking poles for the descent/ascent into the canyon. Expect the hike to take at least 5 hours, at least. I took many breaks and photo stops, so took more like 6 hours.

Fri Aug 24 2012

The destination was worth the trip. We started at Hermits Rest TH and ended at Dripping Springs returning the same way. We clocked between 3.3 and 3.5 miles one way. The trail continues beyond the spring. Elevation change was about 1220'. This, in my opinion, is a double-black diamond trail! Do not take this lightly! For approx 2.5 miles, the grade averages over 20%. A real knee pounder going downhill and you've still got to come out! Took just under 3 hrs to reach the spring which is really water dripping through the rock from somewhere way above. You aren't supposed to drink the water and we didn't. The overhang was cool and shady after the strenuous, hot hike and we enjoyed a great lunch having the place to ourselves. Returning to Hermits Rest took 4.5 hrs and we got absolutely soaked in the monsoon. A four star hike based on solitude, physical challenge and the final destination. Trail is well marked, very steep in places, rocky and mostly shadeless. Go! But be smart! Anyone wishing to trade or receive more information on this or any other local hike I've done, my email is drl2250@yahoo.com