Douglas Spring Trail

Douglas Spring Trail is a 16.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tucson, Arizona that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Easy trail with waterfall view This is an excellent introductory hike for someone who normally doesnt get out there. You can negotiate the trail with ease in a pair of tennis shoes, but hiking boots will enable you to continue farther up the trail. This trek doesnt end at Bridal Wreath Falls, but it is a common end point for most hikers. The scenery is classic Sonoran Desert Scrub, and the further you go on the trail, the more you get. For most begginers, the reward of a beautiful waterfall at the end of the hike, is about they need to get hooked. I've personally introduced a lot of "never hiked before" folks to the outdoors by taking them on this hike. The whole family from toddlers to elderly enjoy this trek on a regular basis, not many steep hills and lots of hikers to keep you company. For those more experienced backpackers who plan to stay overnight, you'll need a permit available from the Saguaro National Park office.

Great direction to the top of Rincon Mountains, but I appreciate the connections with other Trails such as Three Tank Trails, Carillo Trail, and Wildhorse Trails

Great trail to start hiking loved it!

Awesome trail. Very scenic.

This was a great trail to do with my kids. There are a few steeper sections, but they managed and had a great time hiking it. We only went in about 3 miles and then turned around, but it was still a great day on the trails.

Challenging as usual - good weather and a great hike to Grass Shack!

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Went a little too late in the day. The sun was killer and there was no hope for shade anywhere. But overall not a bad hike, moderate difficulty with a great view

Monday, May 08, 2017

Not a very hard trail but amazing views.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Have hiked here several times. moderate difficulty, beautiful views. In some areas you have to pay attention to avoid stepping in the horse droppings that can sometimes be all over the trail.

Saturday, February 11, 2017

Started too late (9:45am)! I was shocked at how challenging this was on the way up, coming from someone who runs the sabino canyon tram road (7.4) 3x a week I really thought this would be a piece of cake and I kind of died on this trail in the sun. Made it a measly 3 miles in and killed 2 liters of water at that point, which prompted me turn around. People were just starting to come up as I was going down in 85 degrees and getting hotter holding only 12oz bottles of water. No idea if that's an AZ thing, but holy god, you couldn't pay me to do that.
I'll attempt this again, but way earlier and with 4 liters of water plus filtration. Namaste Douglas Springs-- you owned me today.

Friday, January 27, 2017

What a beautiful hike through the canyon and beautiful desert vegetation. Due to recent rains, streams were flowing and the Bridal Wreath Falls were tumbling. The hike up has a gradual incline of about 1100 ft. Take time along the way to take in the amazing vistas. The hike up to the falls and back is just 6 miles.

Thursday, January 26, 2017

Beautiful and stunning views. Trail is well maintained.

Monday, January 23, 2017

Great hike. Beautiful views.

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Great Family Hike!

Monday, October 03, 2016

This trail is beautiful. It just gets better as you go.

Saturday, April 23, 2016

Love this Hike!

Friday, January 01, 2016

I'm a novice hiker, trying out new trails as I go, but I've done this one a few times already, going a little further each time. Being just in ok shape, it's a little challenging, but has gotten easier after just a few more hikes and conditioning.
Well marked trail. Pretty views. Nice mix of ascents, descents and some flat areas.
Heavily traveled with lots of nice and friendly hikers.

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

There was plenty of water when I went the beginning of the trail is steep but then it levels out the falls are well worth the hike

Wednesday, July 08, 2015

I'm still getting out and discovering trails but so far this is one of my favorites. It is accurately rated as moderate; the trail becomes strenuous and then flattens out with just enough time to catch your breath before il the incline starts again. The ending is AMAZING! If only it had water when we went but even without we did a bit of bouldering and had a fantastic view of the city.

Friday, May 01, 2015

Pretty easy hike, with a lovely waterfall. Not much effort needed, and especially lovely if you go in late afternoon to catch the arizona sunset on the way back.

Saturday, August 09, 2014

Great hike to start on if you want something with elevation change and be sure to do it early morning before the sun gets hot. Make sure you take water and snacks.

Monday, September 02, 2013

My husband and I hiked this trail in February 2013. It was our first hike ever. I agree with PJMac in that although this IS a moderate trail *NOT* an 'easy' trail as it has been rated here, it can be done by beginners as long as you listen to your body, know what you're getting in to, rest when you need to, and KEEP HYDRATED. We walked up to Bridal Veil Falls and back. The falls were just a trickle at that time, but well worth the hike up. Parts of the trail are not for the a-feared of heights but the views are AMAZING!

Thursday, June 06, 2013

Moderate trail. The first leg up climbs about 380 feet from the Speedway trailhead to the first 'saddle' connection with the Corillio trail (excellent, btw), and with the Bridal Veil trail.. Good views of the Tanque Verde (dude) Ranch and Mt. Lemon.

Monday, October 17, 2011

I have seen several reviews where this trail is listed as "Easy" It is if you are a regular hiker and in good condition. This is not a trail for OVER CONFIDENT beginners, out of shape elderly, or those in bad health. HOWEVER it is a trail that can be done by beginners and first time hikers if they take it slow and understand they will be using leg muscles they don't normally use. Several Reviews list this as a 3/6/12 mile hike, be sure to understand your destination. It is a beautiful 3 mile walk to Bridal Wreath falls making it a 6 mile round trip. This is what i took for my first hike in 15+years and would suggest that one only go this far if it is your first hike in AZ. I walk 3 miles a day twice a week and the well maintained trail with stair master type climbs starting about 1 miles in really put my thigh muscles through a workout you don't get on neighborhood walks. I only saw a few hikers and runners (all over the age of 50). At the falls a group of seven showed up and shared in a nice picnic even though the falls were dry. Although the path is well maintained for the first mile or so, the remainder is well marked and well defined. I use to run 7 falls, phone line and Sabino etc. assisting hikers that misjudged their capabilities, this is a nice beginner, fun and safe hike if you are prepared.