Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Dobbins Lookout via East Mineral Road

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(189)
South Mountain Preserve

Dobbins Lookout via East Mineral Road is a 3.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,033 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Definitely a nice hike; but I am always severely disappointed when I get to the summit, only to find a parking lot. Rated a 3 purely because of the disappointing ending.

Nice short and sweet little hike with a rocky scenery and amazing city view at top!

pretty good trail. lots of people even early in the morning.

Dog friendly. Narrow trail.

Loved the trail and the views but that was by far the most dog crap I have ever seen on a trail. Right in the middle too

Great hike. Quite but scenic. Really amazing hike.

Lost a blue and gold macaw on Sunday 1/12/20 if you were around and saw anything please let me know! She is microchipped and we have flyers all over.

Love this hike!

I loved this hike!! You will get a work out that’s for sure! I started this hike at 7:15am and finished at 9:20am....that includes taking 3 breaks. Hike is a bit crowded...always had someone directly in front of me and behind me. Amazing views once you reach the top! I got off track a couple times towards the top as there were not many signs at the top directing you. Overall awesome hike with amazing views along the way and at the top!

Good hike for a beginner. The incline is spread out over the length of the hike so it’s nothing too crazy. Even a beginner should fair well. Although I do recommend you keep a good eye out for some of the parts of the trail that are pretty rocky. Like I said before nothing too hard, just a few parts that require a little extra attention to avoid a slip or a trip. You’ll be fine though! Expect to see beetle, scorpions, mice and other small desert critters. I’ve hiked this trail many times and have not yet encountered snakes. If you make it to the top you will be rewarded with perhaps one of the best panoramic views of Phoenix from Dobbins Lookout. It’s a northernly view where you’ll see Camelback mountain, Piestewa Peak, the Northern Phoenix Desert Preserve, and down town Phoenix. Try and spot Chase Field! If you complete the hike just after sundown you’ll get to see the same view but all lit up. The entire light show the city puts on, a cool looking light streak which is 7th Street try and spot it). And if you face south at this same time you’ll see the TV antenna Lights that are red. Remember to have a trail buddy If you can. Happy Trails!

Sun May 26 2019

Good hike !

Mon May 13 2019

Well, I had kneecaps before this hike...

Sun Mar 03 2019

Wed Feb 20 2019

I've hiked this many times. It's a lot of up and then a lot of down. I've never been bored on this trail.

Solid workout.

Thu Dec 13 2018

Tue Oct 02 2018

Pretty cool hike! The terrain was a bit rough for someone clumsy as I am haha but it was true to its moderate rating. As long as you wear good shoes you should be fine

Sat Jun 09 2018

I think this should be rated a moderate. It’s not very difficult but a good workout. Hiked in the morning & it’s shaded about 2/3 of the way since the trail is on the west side. Beautiful views of the city & the desert.

Sun May 13 2018

I definitely wouldn't rate this as "hard." I would go more along the lines of "easy" to "moderate." There is nothing wrong with the trail, it's just an average trail. The final destination being driveable kind of ruins it since it adds a lot more people at the top.