Dixie Mountain Loop with Two Summits

Dixie Mountain Loop with Two Summits is a 5.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

My favorite moderate trail for a morning hike

A good challenging hike in the summertime. Last time I was here, I only did the loop and Dixie Summit.
This time I did both summits and the loop. Started getting a little hot and worn out towards the end of the hike, but it was worth it. A lot of good up and down on this one and pretty scenery. Just watch out for all of the Cholla cactus!

Hard hike. Elevation changes.

Our favorite trail in Phoenix.

Great hike. Lucky that it was a cloudy day. Good elevation gain, and enough switchbacks to keep the hike interesting.
Few people on the hike, so was peaceful. Look out for lizards.

I drive 20 miles to hike this; it's worth it. Great mix of incline and flat, you can do the loop only with only one or both summits. The first part (Hawk's Nest) is most difficult part in my opinion. Would hike here every day if I lived closer. Not much loose rock and no scrambling. Great views, the east view is basically open desert. There is shade for 1/2 the hike if you go in the morning.

This is my preferred trail in north Phoenix. Never too crowded and feel like you've left the city soon after starting.

No shade be prepared. Great trail that is wide enough to wall side by side. Not to strenuous, conducive for talking and actually site seeing. You don’t have to focus on your footing. Great option to take dogs, good distance even without the summits. I went clockwise, ran a bit and did the two summits in 2 hours flat.

Nice views with reasonable elevation, especially at the two summits. You can expand this hike by using adjacent trails. Restrooms and water at trail head.

Nice hike with some nice views from summits. Wide clear trail, well marked. Nice restroom with running water and fountain at trail head. Definitely not hard, moderate. No technical areas. Not too busy on a Sunday. Good for dogs, easy on paws rock wise, but be very careful of cholla. There's a lot close to the trail. If taking a dog I'd suggest taking pliers along with you. Also saw an owl, that was great.

We did not do the two summits, just walked our own combination of paths, but, got a good feel for the area and the kinds of challenges available.

Definitely rocky. Not a trail for open-toed shoes, but a really fun trail! It’s easy for sure. A great family trail! We saw many mountain bikers, and other groups of hikers. Very safe neighborhood at the base, and felt safe the entire time hiking!

Did this trail with two children 4 and 2. Was a little long for my 4yo but lots of good views and a nice hike for me and my husband.

I am 72. Hiked the loop with both peaks. It was 5.8 miles and took me 3:09. My 50 year old sons do the same route in 2:04. I think it is difficult, they think it is moderate. If doing both peaks we believe clockwise is slightly easier. Go for it!

Veering off onto the summit trails made it a fun hike with pretty views. Good, quick leg workout to the summits to get a sweat in!

Nice rolling terrain, puts your legs to the test !

Worth the extra bit to finish the loop after the summit and an interesting old rusted out car towards the end

Loved it!!

Great hike easy & to get to. There are clean bathrooms too.

ready trail, enjoyable

I got lost , but very pretty!

Dixie Mountain is a moderate to difficult hike located near Anthem in the very northern reaches of the city. Parking is wierd... everytime I have hiked this there are about two cars worth of parking on a neighborhood street where the trailhead is located. If there is a lot somewhere it would be awesome for someone to post specific information. With that being said it seems like this trail is primarily used by Anthem residents who can access the trail by walking to it from their home.

I enjoy this hike quite a bit, and personally agree that it is more moderate for those in decent shape but I understand how others perceive it as difficult. Terrain varies, I think it could be done in tennis shoes just fine but if you have boots you may as well bring them, you wouldnt look out of place and some of the rock is of poorer qaulity as you get near the summit.

It's a nice hike that is pretty low traffic and provides nice views of its more challenging neighbor Gavalin Peak.

Sunday, October 08, 2017

Great trail. Easy or hard depending on walking or running. Not to bad as far as loose rocks are concerned.

Sunday, September 03, 2017

Great trail. More on the moderate side in my opinion. Some steep grades and rock but not a bad trek at all.

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Dixie Mtn Loop (turn right at fork) and up to the Dixie Mtn summit is a 3.1 up and back from the trail head. Mod-difficult mix. Great short athletic hike early in the AM on hot days with a great view of the valley at the summit (2,190' altitude).

Monday, July 03, 2017

Pretty moderate hike but in the 106 degree heat it will catch up to you after a few hours out there. Great hike for exploring the desert with a few nice mountainous slopes here and there.

Thursday, May 25, 2017

Good workout

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Lovely hike. Great views. Not too technical, but distance & summits make it well balanced. Looking forward to putting this in the weekly mix! Free & beautiful park! Feels secluded! Solid nice restrooms!! Fresh filtered water at trailhead! Pet friendly!

Saturday, April 29, 2017

Great easy trail to hike, spent a few hours doing the 5 mile loop. watch out for the Cholla cactus, they sneek up on you! Pay attention to the signs. Great views and some wild life.

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Moderate to easy, certainly not difficult

Thursday, April 06, 2017

Hiked the trail two days ago in a little over three hours. Gorgeous trails, nice workout with the addition of the summits. Very nice.