Dixie Mountain Loop with Two Summits

Dixie Mountain Loop with Two Summits is a 5.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is my preferred trail in north Phoenix. Never too crowded and feel like you've left the city soon after starting.

No shade be prepared. Great trail that is wide enough to wall side by side. Not to strenuous, conducive for talking and actually site seeing. You don’t have to focus on your footing. Great option to take dogs, good distance even without the summits. I went clockwise, ran a bit and did the two summits in 2 hours flat.

Nice views with reasonable elevation, especially at the two summits. You can expand this hike by using adjacent trails. Restrooms and water at trail head.

Nice hike with some nice views from summits. Wide clear trail, well marked. Nice restroom with running water and fountain at trail head. Definitely not hard, moderate. No technical areas. Not too busy on a Sunday. Good for dogs, easy on paws rock wise, but be very careful of cholla. There's a lot close to the trail. If taking a dog I'd suggest taking pliers along with you. Also saw an owl, that was great.

We did not do the two summits, just walked our own combination of paths, but, got a good feel for the area and the kinds of challenges available.

Definitely rocky. Not a trail for open-toed shoes, but a really fun trail! It’s easy for sure. A great family trail! We saw many mountain bikers, and other groups of hikers. Very safe neighborhood at the base, and felt safe the entire time hiking!

Did this trail with two children 4 and 2. Was a little long for my 4yo but lots of good views and a nice hike for me and my husband.

I am 72. Hiked the loop with both peaks. It was 5.8 miles and took me 3:09. My 50 year old sons do the same route in 2:04. I think it is difficult, they think it is moderate. If doing both peaks we believe clockwise is slightly easier. Go for it!

Veering off onto the summit trails made it a fun hike with pretty views. Good, quick leg workout to the summits to get a sweat in!

Nice rolling terrain, puts your legs to the test !

Worth the extra bit to finish the loop after the summit and an interesting old rusted out car towards the end

Loved it!!

Great hike easy & to get to. There are clean bathrooms too.

ready trail, enjoyable

I got lost , but very pretty!

Dixie Mountain is a moderate to difficult hike located near Anthem in the very northern reaches of the city. Parking is wierd... everytime I have hiked this there are about two cars worth of parking on a neighborhood street where the trailhead is located. If there is a lot somewhere it would be awesome for someone to post specific information. With that being said it seems like this trail is primarily used by Anthem residents who can access the trail by walking to it from their home.

I enjoy this hike quite a bit, and personally agree that it is more moderate for those in decent shape but I understand how others perceive it as difficult. Terrain varies, I think it could be done in tennis shoes just fine but if you have boots you may as well bring them, you wouldnt look out of place and some of the rock is of poorer qaulity as you get near the summit.

It's a nice hike that is pretty low traffic and provides nice views of its more challenging neighbor Gavalin Peak.

Great trail. Easy or hard depending on walking or running. Not to bad as far as loose rocks are concerned.

Great trail. More on the moderate side in my opinion. Some steep grades and rock but not a bad trek at all.

Dixie Mtn Loop (turn right at fork) and up to the Dixie Mtn summit is a 3.1 up and back from the trail head. Mod-difficult mix. Great short athletic hike early in the AM on hot days with a great view of the valley at the summit (2,190' altitude).

Pretty moderate hike but in the 106 degree heat it will catch up to you after a few hours out there. Great hike for exploring the desert with a few nice mountainous slopes here and there.

Good workout

Lovely hike. Great views. Not too technical, but distance & summits make it well balanced. Looking forward to putting this in the weekly mix! Free & beautiful park! Feels secluded! Solid nice restrooms!! Fresh filtered water at trailhead! Pet friendly!

Great easy trail to hike, spent a few hours doing the 5 mile loop. watch out for the Cholla cactus, they sneek up on you! Pay attention to the signs. Great views and some wild life.

Moderate to easy, certainly not difficult

Thursday, April 06, 2017

Hiked the trail two days ago in a little over three hours. Gorgeous trails, nice workout with the addition of the summits. Very nice.

Monday, March 27, 2017

I love this trail!

Saturday, March 11, 2017

This is one of my favorite hikes. The trail is well defined and signaled, no risk of getting lost. Currently, the mountains are covered with desert flowers due to the large amounts of rain received this winter. This is a great hike for dogs of all sizes. I have a small 10 lb poodle mix, and she can do the whole thing, no problem. The Dixie Summit trail is a must! It's got great incline but is not super lengthy. The view at the top is absolutely worth it.

This trail is one that I'm not afraid to do by myself. At times, i can get intimated of hiking anything over 4 miles on my own as I have a fear of critters. This one, I can do no problem so I recommend it for those hiking alone. I did see a rattlesnake yesterday. This winter, i hiked listening to music a lot but will not be doing that moving forward. The snake had been rattling and I didn't hear, by the time I saw it, it was already by my feet. So please be careful out there.

Highly recommend this hike! Wear a good pair of hiking boots, I've slipped a few times because of all the small loose rocks. Sunscreen and lots of water are a must.

Wednesday, March 08, 2017

Was one of my favorite trails when I lived in the valley. It is labeled as hard, but that I think that would really only apply to the beginning ascent and if you add the Hawk's? nest short but steep side trail. The rest of it does not have many steep climbs. I did stop taking my dog, because she was constantly getting stickers in her paws. A hint, if you are going to do this around the summer and are not simpatico with the heat, do it early in the morning and veer east to start the loop. The eastern sun is not that harsh at first light, and you will be shaded on the west side of the mountain by the time the heat starts to really pick up.

Thursday, March 02, 2017

The loop trail is a nice mix of low and mid grade terrain that make for a great paced workout, whether on foot or on bike. The scenery helps the time slip by effortlessly. We also included the 2 summits. These were the "hard" part of the trail, but very worth the hike to the top. We are putting this trail in our monthly rotataion.

Sunday, February 12, 2017

This is my new favorite in-town hike. I arrived around 8 am and had the trail mostly all to myself. It is long enough with enough elevation gain to give you a good workout, and the trails to the summits are well marked. The views from the top of both summits were incredible.

Monday, November 07, 2016

nice desert hike, enough elevation change for a decent workout, we carry our backpacks loaded getting in shape for longer treks.