Dixie Mountain Loop Trail

Dixie Mountain Loop Trail is a 4.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, horses, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.6 miles Elevation Gain: 741 feet Route Type: Loop

The main loop trail at Phoenix's Sonoran Preserve provides plenty of options for either a short walk or a longer hike. The elevation gain is accumulated through small ups-and-downs along the trail. Look for the Teddy Bear Cholla forest between mile posts 2.6 and 2.75. The Sonoran Preserve is located in the transition zone to the Arizona Upland, which has higher amounts of rainfall than other Phoenix area hikes, increasing both the lushness and diversity of plant life.

Great trail. The weather was perfect, started out overcast and windy. We went a different route. I thought DT stood for Dixie Trail but it stands for Desert Tortoise. We took Hawks Nest to Desert Tortoise to Valle and then onto Dixie Mountain Loop. 5.84 miles. I would say moderate.

Perfect running trail.

Nice trail. sadly I must have bumped my recorder. it didn't record the whole trail. very quiet trail. really enjoyed it.

Great hike. Perfect weather.

Very pretty hiking trial with lots of different plants! The terrain is hilly and a bit rocky but not at all a scramble!

This trail is not an easy run with the rocky uphills, but it’s a great hike with nice desert views.

Great hike, beautiful views. Don’t miss the nest of Horned Owls in the saguaro towards the beginning!

Was a great loop trail I thought. Ups and down, good cardio. I'll do it for one of my regular hikes. About 5 miles is what my app said.

Nice trail not to steep, bring water.

Well marked trail. Continuously up and down and very rocky in parts.

Great afternoon hike for an Illinois flat lander. The recent moisture seems to make surroundings greener than normal.

Beautiful day and was able to see snow on the mountains. Went counter-clockwise and added the two summits for a total of 6 miles. Will come back for wild flowers.

Great trail with enough elevation to keep it interesting. Only drawback are the number of off-leash dogs; likely courtesy of the locals who can’t read the lease law signs. Otherwise, worth the trip.

Great trail !

Decent hike if your close but I wouldn’t drive too far for it. Saw a cool burned out Ford Explorer in a ravine though.

Didn’t hike much came to see the owls but the part I did was awesome... I will be back!!!

Very enjoyable trail. Nice view and good exercise with distance and some ups and downs. Not crowded on Monday morning at 10 AM but was getting busier by noon when we completed the loop. Only down side is trail is pretty rocky.

one of my favorite trails.

Beautiful scenery and wildlife! My favorite hike yet! Theres a large nest, home to an owl, in a cacti on your way to the loop! Also had a close encounter with a coyote along the trail!

We did the trail clockwise and added the Vale Trail and Desert Tortoise Trails at the end to extend the loop. Good decision as this section was quieter and had better saguaros. Not too many people out on this day.

We went a bit off the intended trail without really knowing. It was a nice warm up though! The trail was great, clear, well maintained, etc. Pretty good for an “in town” hike!! The cholla made me a little nervous for my dog but he’s well trained and stayed on the trail.

1 mile hike to trail from the north entrance. Then, elevations and smooth hiking trail, not very rocky.

It was worth it, great workout

Awesome Trail. Really enjoyed

I think this is not an easy trail but moderate. maybe its easy if you are an avid hiker. the trail was very rocky and mostly steep; I did the loop clockwise. my device measured 5.3miles and took me 2 hours to complete the loop. 5 min before I arrived I asked myself why I drove 40mins for a trail thats has no shade, but then I started to see so many air balloons on the sky. They were lots bigger seeing by eyes. they were there early in the morning till around 7am. I also saw a big rattle snake was rattling and camouflage on the ground but he was climbing up on the mountain not on the trail. Overall this trail does not worth the drive but worth for one time experience.

Decided to hike this trail for the first time on Labor Day. Unfortunately, got a late start and it was HOT. There is no shade to speak off - only the partial shade of a few Palo Verde trees along the way. I would recommend this trail if you want something close to the Phoenix metro area where you would get a decent workout. However, the views are nothing special and not much variety in plant life...mostly cholla, saguaro, and Palo Verde trees, with an occasional cactus barrel and ocatillo.

Nice parking lot and bathrooms! Also have dog bags ready if you forgot. We brought our golden retriever on a fairly hot day. Didn’t hike too much due to the heat but it was a very easy trail to follow!

Set out this morning to do the desert tortoise loop, accidentally took the turn up the hill. Not even mad! This trail is gorgeous, with beautiful vista views. Even with the clouds I got a great view of the sunrise over the mountains. Saw 3 other people the entire time, and it was on our way down the loop. Watch out for cholla cactus on the trail, there are definitely *a lot* of them, and if you're hiking with your dog like I was, you're not going to want any of them in their pads. Easy enough to avoid though.

First time there yesterday. Great hike for rehabilitating my knee. Good workout and great views. It’s going to be a regular for me.