Dixie Mountain Loop Trail

Dixie Mountain Loop Trail is a 4.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The main loop trail at Phoenix's Sonoran Preserve provides plenty of options for either a short walk or a longer hike. The elevation gain is accumulated through small ups-and-downs along the trail. Look for the Teddy Bear Cholla forest between mile posts 2.6 and 2.75. The Sonoran Preserve is located in the transition zone to the Arizona Upland, which has higher amounts of rainfall than other Phoenix area hikes, increasing both the lushness and diversity of plant life.

Great hike! Good trail for bringing your dog. I would say this is a moderate trail, not easy. Great to see the owl’s nest at the beginning and the old crashed SUV at the end. Awesome hike

really nice hike! People on here said to took about 2 hours but i finished it and the connector in 1hr and 20min. But, that is just because i am a trail runner so it was not long. Only had very minimal periodical stops. Overall, nice hike. I'm more for difficulty but, this hike is beautiful non-the same. You'll enjoy it! It is worth the drive. And it is free no fee to hike it (the best pat lol)

Dependable, go-to trail. Add the Dixie Mountain Summit if you’re wanting a little extra kick in the workout. Nice views and moderately trafficked. Good variation and many different trail options/combinations you could do!

This is the second hike I have done in this area (Go-John was the first). I enjoyed this one more because of the variety of vistas. Very cool to see an owl in nest along the Hawks Nest trail leading to the Dixie Mountain loop. The extra 0.4 each way to the summit is worthwhile.

I did the Dixie Mountain Loop with the summit. I highly recommend this area; it’s my favorite so far in my exploration of the Phoenix area. It’s rocky, but so is everything around here.

Bring a camera! Hike the Dixie Summit for sunset...then when you hike down be sure to have a flashlight. You’ll see the gorgeous neon sunset and then the dazzling city lights and darkened clouds on the way back. -A view you won’t forget! This is definitely one of my most favorite hikes -both for the varied difficulty and the views! The terrain is gorgeous. Seguaro cacti abundant. Lots of wonderful picture opportunities.

Difficulty: Moderate. Easy is not accurate! I started at Desert Vista Trailhead to Hawks Nest preceded to Dixie Mountain Loop. The trail is well marked and exposed with very little shade or places to rest. The loop is just shy of 5 miles. Views of Dove Valley, a cholla forest, ocotillo and saguaro. I spotted a few hummingbirds, lizards and birds. There is a 14% grade. This loop with some rest breaks took me approximately 2 hours to complete.

One of my favorites as not many people and peaceful. Very easy open trail and there is a cool old burned up car in a ditch that looks like it’s from the 40 or 50s.

Did the loop on a sunday afternoon, not too many people on the trail. Easy trail,gradual inclines just a little rocky and with tons of teddybear cholla! More suited for trail running or mountain biking. views are great and the rusted car at the end is a nice surprise!

It’s a nice trail and it’s 5 miles total from parking lot. Lots of dirt trail and not so many areas with loose shale/rock. There really isn’t a good place to stop halfway through if you want to sit and take a break. I would not call this an easy trail-it’s even marked moderate on the map at the trail head. It’s a bit confusing since this app shows the same trail with two summits -adding less than a mile-as hard. Restroom at trail head is nice and clean.

good hike..NOT an easy trail. this is moderate

great trail to hike.

So this was a decent trail. We did the baby loop this morning. Nice moderate inclines, well marked. Not sure of the milage...we should do the bigger loop next time!!!

Another one of those routes that makes it hard to believe you're hiking in an urban metropolis. I agree with previous comment; this is not an "easy" hike. There's 600 feet of ascent/descent. Well worth the effort.

Hiked the trail today with my wife and we found it to be a bit harder then the easy rating that we expected. The trail begins and ends with a large climb. It took us 2 hours from the parking lot and back. A great workout for us 60 year olds....would definitely do it again.

Great hike. Beautiful view.

Nice easy loop trail, so easy, you can montain bike it, I saw several people doing it. Might come back and maybe run the bike through it.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

We really enjoyed this trail, but it probably should be labeled moderate. The gain listed does not really capture the up and down elevation change of the hike.

Wednesday, April 05, 2017

I hiked this loop again yesterday with my 4 young boys ages 9,7,4 and 2 yrs. they did it no problem and had a blast!

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Love this area. There are a lot of trails off of Dixie Mountain Loop trail head. Desert Tortoise is one of them. Just beautiful! A small incline in the beginning, but the rest is pretty easy. Trail is rock, so watch your step. Beautiful flowers and various types of cactus. Also saw some lizards, family of owls, quail, beetles and caterpillars. Will definitely go back and hike all the trails there! Oh and stay to your left if you want to stay on Dixie Loop, we went right and ended up doing Desert Tortoise Trail which is a shorter trail.

Thursday, March 23, 2017

Started on Dixie Mountain loop then branched off on Desert Tortoise Trail then back to Dixie. The Desert blooms seemed to be greater at the lower elevations. Easy trail to hike, some loose stones along the way.
Zoom in close up photo of the saguaro cactus to see the owl nesting.

Thursday, March 23, 2017

Beautiful trail right now with all the wildflowers.

Monday, March 20, 2017

Amazing View

Sunday, March 12, 2017

Beautiful right now with the rolling hills full of wild flowers.

Monday, March 06, 2017

This is a another nice, quick, convienent trail. It took just under an hour. Beautiful scenery just minutes from the city.

Thursday, March 02, 2017

Did the loop (4.7mi) so pretty, good for running with the dog. Some ups and downs but nothing too steep, and trail is fairly smooth.

Saturday, February 18, 2017

The second half of this trail was nice, but the first half is pretty bland. Also, beware that there is a ton of jumping cactus on this hike. Unfortunately a decent amount makes its way onto the trail itself. This could be a real issue with kids and/or pets.

Friday, February 10, 2017

Beautiful area full of scenic views in every direction. Easy hike, great for entire family and beginners.

Wednesday, February 08, 2017

My son and I hiked this on a moderately warm winter day. We hadn't intended on doing the loop trail but we stuck it out. We're not super in-shape people. The trail is mostly flat and well maintained. Is in the sun most of the time, however, so be prepared for that. I ti multi-use so we ran into a fair number of mountain bikers.

Friday, January 13, 2017

Nice mid length and moderate hike! Some gradual inclines and nice views! Quiet once you're out onto the further part of the loop.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Great trail. Do this twice a month and good combination of scenery and awesome hiking trail. My favorite is when you get halfway there are overlooks of untouched desert.