Desert Classic and Marcos de Niza Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(47)
South Mountain Preserve

Desert Classic and Marcos de Niza Loop is a 3.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as moderate and offers a number of activity options.

Distance: 3.2 miles Elevation Gain: 540 feet Route Type: Loop

Loop not good for MTN bike riding

The Desert Classic is a boring meandering stretch of 1.5 miles but the rest of the trail is full of ups and downs with spectacular views at every hilltop.

Nimsie Trail lol - awesome- a lot of incline/decline

The second half of this hike is boring. Marco De Niza is great but desert classic I wouldn’t recommend unless you’re on a MTB.

Solid hike. Watch the bikers.

This trail was beautiful!! It kicked our asses and took us three hours but we loved it.

Sun Mar 03 2019

Thu May 10 2018

Amazing views, a little difficult in places where there was a steep incline. Saw a few coyotes as well but they did not bother me. In total took me about 2 hours with breaks.

Sat Feb 03 2018

Although this is a great hike, it’s important to remember that there is no shade. Figuring out which trail is the correct trail is a little confusing any since there are user-created trails in many areas. My wife and I enjoyed walking along the ridge and around one of the mountains. Watch out for bikers on the lower portion.