Deem Hills Circumference Trail with Ridgeline and Summit

Deem Hills Circumference Trail with Ridgeline and Summit is a 3.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Deem Hills is one of the newer parks in Phoenix to open (2010) and as such a lot of people still don't know it's there. This means that it has much more of a secluded feel then some of the more well established trails around. It IS popular with mountain bikers though so be on the lookout for them as they like the more sparse feel as well. The main park entrance is in the Stetson Hills community with the nearest cross streets of 51st Ave and Happy Valley Rd. Deem Hills is really 2 hills in one with a just under 6 mile circumference trail around both. The trail itself is actually pretty nice and well cut through the desert but be aware that it can still be pretty loose in places, probably because it is so new. For an average hiker it's a very nice hike but for a beginner there are inclines that might seem a bit tough in places, especially if you head up to the summit (the Ridgeline Trail). The summit has a couple nice overlooks where you can take some pictures and is challenging enough to be worth the effort but this isn't really a workout type of hike. After all you're only gaining about 600 ft total. Avoiding the Ridgeline Trail cutting through the middle on part of the Basalt Trail cuts about a mile off the distance making this side great for a quick 3 mile exercise.

Really happy to be back in the saddle for hike season 2k19. Deem Hills is a gorgeous preserve. It's far more lush than the surrounding mountains and trails in Phoenix. In terms of difficulty, I'd call it moderate, but an easier moderate? The Ridgeline trail felt a little longer than I expected, but it drops you off back on the circumference trail after the 1.5 miles. I wish I had done the entire circumference trail, and hadn't cut through by taking ridgeline. All in all, a real sight to behold, and one I can't wait to return to.

Great mtn biking trail, not that much switch backs but very rocky in some areas. Take lots of water. Didn’t run into any snakes which is good. Hardly any hikers.

great trail to hike for all levels and also a challenging one for biking

Nice hike

Well maintained, fairly easy trail with beautiful views, however the absence of the flag at the summit was the biggest let down!

Super cool. Probably the most beautiful trail I’ve been on North of Phoenix so far. It’s rugged, the terrain changes from beige, soft sand to red dirt and black rocks, to white, fine sand. It feels like you’re in the wild. I didn’t see people for about an hour. I like that it’s lightly trafficked on a weekday evening.

I took my dog with me. She kept me going up the steep side to the ridge line. It was worth every step!

This trail is one of my favorites. The trail easily expands by using adjacent trails. I stick to the length on the map to have a great after work hike. The profile and length offer a great workout. The trail offers variety in vistas, plants and wild life. A road runner slightly trailed me for a half mile last month allowing a number of pictures and a hike highlight.

Really nice easy going hike! I only ran into 4 other people! I think it would be a beautiful hike at sunrise or sunset!

this was a great trail to start the hiking season.

Sunday, October 01, 2017

I took the Circumference Trail from the East side and up the Ridgeline to the top. I then returned back the other way to the trailhead. Some call it "Crab Claw Loop." I call it fun! About 5.0 miles altogether.

Saturday, May 27, 2017

love it

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Beautiful scenery. Easy to Moderate trail.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Good exercise with my Great Dane!

Friday, February 17, 2017

Great hike that gets the job done. Not heavily trafficked and is a good quiet hike. Does have some nicer views of Phoenix.

Monday, January 30, 2017

Great hike, lots of moderation

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Really rocky. Meh for mountain biking. Probably better for hiking.

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Nice park with easy parking and nice trails. Easy and convenient for anyone living in the West Valley Phoenix area.

Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Great hike! I planned on the listed "3.8 mile", not sure how far off my gps can be but mine registered 5.2 miles. Went clockwise, up to summit and used "shortcut" to get back. Great views and not real busy.

Friday, November 11, 2011

Bring water! Do yourself a favor and climb up the Ridgeline trail. Pretty good workout for a "hill."